2001 7.3L HPOP Diagram

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 h2guy

h2guy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

Is there a site, or can you provide a reference thats avail to me, that depicts the HPOP system in a 7.3L ???

Line drawing, illustration, engineering print, whatever.

#2 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:All types of motor racing, camping, hunting, fishing, my family and career.... and my Harley

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

I don't know of any online diagrams and copyright laws prevent me from posting any of the illustrations I have.

The system is relatively simple. The high pressure reservoir receives oil from the base oil system. The high pressure pump delivers high pressure oil (called injection control pressure) through the two hoses to the cylinder heads. To control the pressure of this oil, the ICP sensor reports the pressure in the system to the PCM. The PCM then adjusts this pressure using the IPR (injection pressure regulator) valve to it's desired value.

If there is any specific info you need, please feel fre to ask....

Jim Warman
Ford Master Tech - Diesel Certified
Stercus Accidit

#3 h2guy

h2guy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Jim, I keep seeing references to oil "draining out" of the HPO reservoir and don't understand how that can occur.

As I understand it, oil from the LP pump enters the reservoir up thru a standpipe inside the reservoir so it can't jump up over the top of that standpipe and drain back.

HP pump forces it out thru the two hoses to the banks/injectors but if it were leaking that way, other symptoms would occur, right? So where is this "draining back" occurring??

By the way, great part of the country where you are. Spend 5 days up in Faust last summer, then a few days over in Lac La Biche. Beautiful places. Can't imagine the weather there now after that.

#4 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:All types of motor racing, camping, hunting, fishing, my family and career.... and my Harley

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

There is a "quick fill" circuit for the HPOP reservoir consisting of a check valve and spring. During starting, the check valve is open and oil is delivered directly from the oil pump (without going through the filter). Once the engine starts, the check valve closes and filtered oil is delivered to the HPOP reservoir. The check valve can become contaminated or stick allowing the HPOP reservoir to drain. I've never had the need to service this valve so I'm unsure of what is involved.

Slave Lake is east of Faust... about 40 minutes and is on the "big" end of the lake. You must have got there through High Prairie or Swan Hills.

Around Faust, the lake is quite shallow but there are a couple of deep spots down at our end.

Jim Warman
Stercus Accidit

#5 h2guy

h2guy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

(Remember now, I'm trying to understand!)

Whether the oil comes from "quick fill" circuit or "filtered oil", the path for this oil is up thru the standpipe in the reservoir. This is the only entrance into the reservoir, right?

Only exits are to the HP pump, right?

So wheres the "drain back"???????

(Hey, I'm older and slower)

#6 kleenfire

kleenfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

What are your symtoms/problems with the HPOP? I am having "issues" with mine and have been trying to get it fixed for over 2 years without success.

#7 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:30 AM

Funny this thread should come back to the top of the list on this, of all days... and a Monday, too...

First job of the day is a 7.3 no start. SAs figure I slam dunk a CMP and send this puppy packing.... Do the usual stuff.... engine oil level and quality, glow plug operation, batteries are sufficient....

Got to the "no start" PIDs.... decent rpm, V_REF and V_PWR are good, ICP and IPR are.... Ooops....

Check the HPOP reservoir... nada..... Crank the motor and watch the dash gauge.... nada..... recheck the HPOP reservoir.......

Add a gallon of oil (remember, I already checked the level)..... VROOOOOMMMM!!!!! My one hour Monday AM appointment turned into (I think it was the HAL 9000 computer in 2001 that said) "something wonderful".

This is a work unit with underhood compressor, front mounted winch and PTO driven pump.... you are allowed to feel sorry for me now....

My week was overbooked before this happened, my own truck is long overdue for a service, my boy is pestering to get his "new to him" truck on the road and it is friggin' scooter weather....

Ilovemyjob, Ilovemyjob, Ilovemyjob......

Jim Warman
Stercus Accidit

#8 kleenfire

kleenfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

But Jim what was it you did to fix the problem? That is the million dollar question. I have been taking my PSD E350 van to the dealer for over 2 years with the HPOP losing oil and they haven't been able to fix it.

QUOTE (Jim Warman @ Apr 4 2006, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny this thread should come back to the top of the list on this, of all days... and a Monday, too...

First job of the day is a 7.3 no start. SAs figure I slam dunk a CMP and send this puppy packing.... Do the usual stuff.... engine oil level and quality, glow plug operation, batteries are sufficient....

Got to the "no start" PIDs.... decent rpm, V_REF and V_PWR are good, ICP and IPR are.... Ooops....

Check the HPOP reservoir... nada..... Crank the motor and watch the dash gauge.... nada..... recheck the HPOP reservoir.......

Add a gallon of oil (remember, I already checked the level)..... VROOOOOMMMM!!!!! My one hour Monday AM appointment turned into (I think it was the HAL 9000 computer in 2001 that said) "something wonderful".

This is a work unit with underhood compressor, front mounted winch and PTO driven pump.... you are allowed to feel sorry for me now....

My week was overbooked before this happened, my own truck is long overdue for a service, my boy is pestering to get his "new to him" truck on the road and it is friggin' scooter weather....

Ilovemyjob, Ilovemyjob, Ilovemyjob......

#9 kleenfire

kleenfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

Jim what did you do to repair the problem? I am having the same thing happen and the dealer has replaced just about everything (including the quick fill check valve) and it keeps losing oil from the HPOP.

#10 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:13 AM

Still waiting for parts.... Front cover is badly scored where the oil pump rotor sits.... Initially I was thinking cracked oil pump pick-up.... Pulled the engine and tested the pick-up tube and got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. No cracks... had I pooched my diagnosis???

Looked a little harder at the repair history and noticed a constant string of hard start/ no start complaints starting soon after the rebuilt motor was installed. Thought some and talked it over with HotLine and decided to check the oil pump...

It looks like we have a BINGO but time will tell.

I suggest using a good master gauge to check cranking oil pressure at the filter (there is a tap in the oil cooler end housing) when the concern is happening.... Engine temp, ambient temp and oil weight and mileage since last change can't hurt as far as information goes...

Jim Warman
Stercus Accidit

#11 kleenfire

kleenfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

Jim if you wouldn't mind I have a post here that so far no one has responded to. I would like to get your opinion. Even if you can't shed any light just a fresh point of view wouldn't hurt.
http://www.flatratet...showtopic=23026

QUOTE (Jim Warman @ Apr 6 2006, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still waiting for parts.... Front cover is badly scored where the oil pump rotor sits.... Initially I was thinking cracked oil pump pick-up.... Pulled the engine and tested the pick-up tube and got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. No cracks... had I pooched my diagnosis???

Looked a little harder at the repair history and noticed a constant string of hard start/ no start complaints starting soon after the rebuilt motor was installed. Thought some and talked it over with HotLine and decided to check the oil pump...

It looks like we have a BINGO but time will tell.

I suggest using a good master gauge to check cranking oil pressure at the filter (there is a tap in the oil cooler end housing) when the concern is happening.... Engine temp, ambient temp and oil weight and mileage since last change can't hurt as far as information goes...

#12 William Green

William Green

STAFF

• Staff
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:25 PM

A simple test for 7.3L "Crank/No start-Hard Start" is to check your low side oil pressure during crank. Some of these will show up even on the oil press gauge in the dash. If you are not building over 4.5# quick on crank, immediately go to the low pressure gerotor. This is where the drainback actually occurs, how, I don't fully understand due to the check ball and spring, but it does. All the FSE's that I have talked to don't understand this either, but it is normally the guilty culprit.
P/S --- this is a step in the diag chart that is normally overlooked. I know I did until it bit me in the hiney one time.
William "Grumpy" Green
FRT Staff Member
willliamg@flatratetech.
Jack of all trades --- master of none
"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything", Mark Twain

#13 stbeaver

stbeaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (h2guy @ Feb 3 2006, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a site, or can you provide a reference thats avail to me, that depicts the HPOP system in a 7.3L ???

Line drawing, illustration, engineering print, whatever.

In response to the original post, I found the following 7.3L Diesel High Pressure Pump Diagnostic Guide from International that is posted on thedieselstop.com web site to be extremely informative. The guide applies to all 7.3L powerstrokes, not just 94-97.

Here is the link...
http://www.thediesel...Diagnostics.pdf

There are other downloadable guides, manuals, diagrams, supplements, etc. for every year model of the 7.3L Powerstroke on the same site at http://www.thediesel...q/download.php3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users