• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 beaching

beaching

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

The question here is the safe way to change the fluid and what is necessary:
I have 90k miles on this transmission in a 2005 Navigator 6HP26.
It has a drain plug, so at around 50k I drained the pan and added back the approximate 5 quarts.
It might even be OVER 100k that ford recommends fluid change for "normal" service,
but I don't even see in the shop manual anything to do for a "flush" except drop the pan and do the 5 quarts.

thank you!

backround:
My dealer does NOT have a ford certified flush machine-- some other brand, maybe Bilstein (?spelling).
No real tranny problems, but of course it does not shift as smooth as new.
Also, only 3 times in the last 8 months, I got a bad vibration like driving over those new cuts in the road on the double yellow lines! I really don't know if it was brought on by breaking or passing/shifting...
Seemed too violant for a tranny/torque converte problem?
It settled down itself after "playing" with the vehicle while on the highway-- usually where it is not safe to stop, like I-95 at night.
It could even be hung brakes?? (but I never get brake shudder).

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Usually, if you stick to what your manual tells you to do for transmission service, you should be fine. It is kind of lame to flush transmissions with a machine that has several different fluids in it from other flushes when you need a specific type..

As for you vibration concern... Could possibly be a u-joint concern/wheel balance/wheels not torqued properly etc.. Check motor mounts etc. you were kind of vague describing this problem...

#3 Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:"Some. People are as happy as they have made up their minds to be"
    Abe Lincoln

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

Our machine we only use a synthetic blend that covers several blends and applications.I dont need a tranny come back on my shift?

#4 beaching

beaching

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

thank you for ideas.
6HP26 trans. no dip stick. does have drain plug and fill plug.

my owners manual says to "change" the fluid: at 150K (!!) at normal operation, and if "severe" every 30K,
but doesn't say how to "change".

the shop manual says to "drain and refill", which is described as only drain plug and fill plug which is 4.9 quarts out of 15.9.
of course there is a section about flushing the cooler lines when there was a catastrophic failure... but that is different, at least to me.
so the different ford statements are not much help.

so at 90K and never towed anything, should I just drain the pan and refill (5 qts out of 15.9) over maybe the next 3 oil changes?

As to the vibration,
there isn't much more info to give:
only 3 times in ~~7 months
it is a heavy SHAKE/VIBRATION, just like when going over those newer cuts in the double yellow line to wake you up.
worse under acceleration.
maybe even bad coils/plugs ?? in-between episodes, and unrelated, when Nav was in for routine work they say they got a failed coil and changed it... but I never felt that vibration, and it did happen 2 more times since then...
it settles down by itself in "maybe" 10-15 minutes
each time was after cruising at ~ 55-65mph for over 30 minutes
each time it sort of seemed self-limiting meaning it stopped after that 15 minutes
was "calmer" when not accelerating
coasting it was gone
one time I pulled over and found no tarr-balls stuck to tires
another time pulling into service area on I-95 in the northeast, w/ braking, it went away just as I got to a parking space...

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,500 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

That front U-joint likes to wear out prematurely, on the rear of the front shaft....(you know, the one that's impossible to get at, unless you drop the whole driveshaft) We had one toss it's front shaft when the rear U-joint on the shaft failed. It took out the transmission case, transfer case, and both fuel lines....Of course, you know what runs right below the fuel lines....yeah, a glowing red-hot exhaust pipe. The thing burned to the ground before the fire department could get there. Then, about a month later, an Expedition did the same thing, except it didn't catch fire (lucky us) That's when the boss decided that the service "Loober-Goobers" would have to pull the driveshafts and examine each U-joint with them out of the vehicle...Brilliant move. Little did he know, one other tech and myself were the only two guys in the shop that could pull a driveshaft in less than three or four hours....And the task ALWAYS fell to one of us when a bad U-joint was discovered.....And this little gem of knowledge came at the cost of four U-joints and two whole driveshafts....

I wonder if that 6HP26 transmission has an "oil level quill" machined into the drain plug, like some of the other disasters Ford has the nerve to call transmissions.
Of course, if it hasn't failed at 100K tells me it's probably not a Ford transmission (maybe a 6-speed Hydromatic). The only transmission that didn't used to fail was the old E-4OD. And Ford discontinued them when they were not selling enough reman transmissions.
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#6 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Oval racing, small block chevys, building hot rods. pretty women and fixing powerstrokes.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

turbo encabulator.
Dave Didnt drive the longest lasting most dependable truck on the road... Dave drove a Ford. BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. If it werent for Fords, My tools would rust.
Yep, Im a Chevy Guy that works on Fords Mainly diesels.
In the famous words of Jerry Reed. "Well Now Lord Mr Ford I just wish that you could see what your Simple Horseless Carraige has become. Well it seems your contribution to man To say the least got a little out of hand. Well Lord Mr Ford What Have You Done?!"

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,344 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

I just pulled a driveshaft out of my father's truck with 44 K on the clock. Bad rear joint. I am sending in to a driveshaft company. They have a package deal. All new u-joints, balance, and straiten it, for $130.00. Not bad.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#8 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,500 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

That's pretty much what I was doing when we had Broncos. I kept a remanufactured shaft in parts. If a Bronco needed one, I'd just pull the one in stock, bill it, and install it...and the guy driving it would be on his way.Then I'd send his shaft in to have it reconditioned. The boss hit the ceiling when he found out about it, he would rather tie up a vehicle for two days than keep a new shaft in stock.

That pretty much demonstrates how cars and trucks have changed, before I retired. With Broncos, we kept a spare front and rear driveshaft in stock. When we changed over to Expeditions, I used to keep ten tires and wheels mounted up and ready, four front rotors & pads, and four rear rotors & pads. We also stocked a full set of window regulators for the Crown Victoria's, and, of course, front & rear rotors & pads. During the summer months, we kept stock of A/C compressors for the Crowns and Expeditions,, too.

The old Bronco and the E-350 vans were the two best vehicles Ford made. Unfortunately, they ruined the E-350 when they started putting the 4.6L and the 6.8L engines in them.

BTW, I have a complete "Turbo Encabulator" if you need one, Bill. I keep it out back, next to my "known-to-be-good" 4.6L V-8
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#9 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Oval racing, small block chevys, building hot rods. pretty women and fixing powerstrokes.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nah not a fan of automagics... If i had it my way everything i own would have a 4 speed rock crusher in it.
Dave Didnt drive the longest lasting most dependable truck on the road... Dave drove a Ford. BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

In the famous words of Jerry Reed. "Well Now Lord Mr Ford I just wish that you could see what your Simple Horseless Carraige has become. Well it seems your contribution to man To say the least got a little out of hand. Well Lord Mr Ford What Have You Done?!"

#10 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

AND distributors and carburetors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users