7 replies to this topic

#1 owen

owen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi All,

After 7 weeks away from my '97 Tahoe, came back to find large pool of ATF on the floor of the garage. Took it to my local garage, who says the "pump is shot/leaking" and that rebuilding the trans or replacing with used trans is advised, at a cost of $1000-1200. The transmission shifts and behaves just fine (even on the short trip to the garage just today) otherwise. The rest of the truck is still in pretty good shape. We've been chasing down ATF leaks on this truck for a while, though. [pan gasket, gasket into t-case, another gasket between trans and t-case]

I trust the mechanic at this garage, but don't trust the boss (who calls the customers) as much...

How would you proceed at this point?
What's the R&R labor time for a transmission on this truck?
If the leak is from the pump, would you just repair the problem and not rebuild the trans? (though the trans would still need to be pulled)
What happens if I keep driving it for a little while, keeping a judicious eye on the fluid level?

Keep in mind that this truck is worth maybe $3500 (with a functioning transmission), and that it doesn't get driven regularly. Oh, and we're not exactly made of money...thanks in advance.
'05 Saab 9-5 Arc, 76k
'97 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 180k

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,420 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

First off, you need to make a decision. Are you planning on keeping the truck, or getting a new one? From what i just saw on the sticker for our new Tahoes, a transmission looks pretty cheap to me.............

And no, i would not get the old one rebuilt. And i certainly would not get a used up one. I would get a rebuilt black boxed transmission right from GM. Like we do with our fleet vehicles. All of the updates and upgrades (hopefully) are performed by GM in the rebuilding process. Along with a pretty decent warranty. Call your local GM truck store for more details.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

I wonder how they diagnosed a leaking bad pump? The pump is inside the transmission and the only place it should leak externally would be the front pump seal (torque converter seal) or a flange seal. The former is not unheard of but the latter would be rare.

Neither one is cause for a new transmission though unless lack of fluid fried the unit.

I'm skeptical of the bad pump diagnosis. You should get another opinion.

#4 Sam Reeves

Sam Reeves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

It almost sounds like the guy just happens to have a used transmission he needs to sell somebody. I'm not so sure the pump is shot if it is shifting good.

#5 gmtech5

gmtech5

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi All,

After 7 weeks away from my '97 Tahoe, came back to find large pool of ATF on the floor of the garage. Took it to my local garage, who says the "pump is shot/leaking" and that rebuilding the trans or replacing with used trans is advised, at a cost of $1000-1200. The transmission shifts and behaves just fine (even on the short trip to the garage just today) otherwise. The rest of the truck is still in pretty good shape. We've been chasing down ATF leaks on this truck for a while, though. [pan gasket, gasket into t-case, another gasket between trans and t-case]

I trust the mechanic at this garage, but don't trust the boss (who calls the customers) as much...

How would you proceed at this point?
What's the R&R labor time for a transmission on this truck?
If the leak is from the pump, would you just repair the problem and not rebuild the trans? (though the trans would still need to be pulled)
What happens if I keep driving it for a little while, keeping a judicious eye on the fluid level?

Keep in mind that this truck is worth maybe $3500 (with a functioning transmission), and that it doesn't get driven regularly. Oh, and we're not exactly made of money...thanks in advance.

Basically it sounds like it is just the front pump seal leaking,if it shifts fine just put a seal in.

#6 okcbandit

okcbandit

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

I know this is an old topic, but....I do these for a living. If it was me. I would pull the trans. Remove the pump if that is what is leaking. Replace the pump bushing and the seal, put on a new pump to case gasket and outer pump o'ring, New filter and put it back in.

While I was there I would inspect the torque converter hub and make sure it is not scared. If it is replace that as well. Pretty simple fix.

#7 GMtech82

GMtech82

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Automotive, Hunting, Fishing, 4-wheeling, Snowmobiling, Golf, Ice Fishing

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

The 2007-2009ish new style trucks had a problem with a transmission leak between the bell housing and engine. I've repaired tons of them. It's caused by the oil pump seal that seals between the oil pump and the torque converter hub. There's actually a TSB for newer vehicles with the 4L70E trans (same as 4L60/65 except with an new addition of an input speed sensor).

#8 T-MAN

T-MAN

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Hotrods, Women....sometimes in that order!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hi Owen,

I must agree with OK44, if a pump is 'shot" it wikll no longer deliver fluid and the system would not function. You have a seal leak and like you said, the removal and reapir will cost far more than the $25.00 gasket and seal. If you can live with the leak, monitor it diligently ( do not overfill to compensate) and top off when needed it should continue to last as you described it. It will never fix itself and could get far worse should the seal breakaway from the retainer. Ask you mechanic how much $$ to just replace seal, I'm guessing he will charge you for at least 8 hrs at whatever rate he charges.

T-MAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users