01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 junior33

junior33

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hello to all! I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door V6 4x4 and my 4x4 does not function at all. When I first started the car, before this problem, both of the 4hi and 4lo lights would flash on and off at the same time when I started the vehicle. Then if I turned the knob to 4hi or 4lo I would hear a clicking noise coming from the 4x4 control mudule located underneath the passenger side kick panel, and the light would be lit up on the dash for either 4hi or 4lo. Now, no 4hi or 4lo lights come on the dash when I start up the vehicle, and when I use the knob to try to select 4hi or 4lo, no clicking sounds are heard at all. I have checked all of the fuses pertaining to 4x4 and transfer case and they were good. I replaced them just in case as they are pretty cheap. Still not working. Now I'm looking at the culprit being either the 4x4 control module or the transfer case motor. My question is, if the problem was the transfer case motor, the 4hi and 4lo lights should still light up on the dash when the vehicle is started, right? Thanx in advance for any replies! Junior.

#2 junior33

junior33

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

I forget to post that I had a friend of mine who is an electrician use a multimeter to test the fuse box on the side of the dash as well as the one under the hood and everything pertaining to 4x4 and transfer case tested good, so it's not a wiring problem. Also would like to add that the model # of 4x4 control module is 1L54-7H417-AC, made by Motorola.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,492 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

You need to get a Ford service manual to properly trouble shoot that system. However, from my prior experiances, the transfer case motors are usually the number 1 problems in that system, followed by the dash control switch. I am not sure if the GEM module is involved with all of this, but when the GEM modules die, they usually cause other issues. Not 4 X 4 conserns.

What mostly happens is the transfer case motors get stuck from lack of use. Here in Chicago, we are sometimes lucky to see snow 3 months out of the year. So for the other 9, that ain't happening. What i was doing was have another mechanic opearte the 4 X 4 switch back and fourth with the engine running in neutral. And i would be under it tapping on the transfer case motor with my brass hammer. Most times it would start to work again.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users