• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Never seen this before. Must be new! Chrysler started installing these clutches on 2005 and newer dodge caravans. Is there a tool that removes these? Where can I get one?

Also, a supply of alternator parts supplies would be great for on the spot alternator repairs

Posted Image

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,445 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Yes, there is a tool to install and remove those pulley clutches. The nimrods at my Mopar store tried to tell me they never heard of such a thing. As i am holding the TSB telling about installing those pulley clutches on vehicles that did not have them. To prevent the drive belts from getting torn up. Imagine that? Not getting any help at a dealership?

So my buddy and myself used a strap wrench to install one. Perhaps you can use one to remove it as well?

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yes, there is a tool to install and remove those pulley clutches. The nimrods at my Mopar store tried to tell me they never heard of such a thing. As i am holding the TSB telling about installing those pulley clutches on vehicles that did not have them. To prevent the drive belts from getting torn up. Imagine that? Not getting any help at a dealership?

So my buddy and myself used a strap wrench to install one. Perhaps you can use one to remove it as well?

The alternator rebuild shop would not tell me where thay got it. So,time for me to locate it.

What would happen if a ordinary pulley was put in place of this clutch one? would the serpentine belt not last?

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

The belt would probably not last long if a regular pulley was installed. That is why Mopar came out with that TSB. In case the older models were tossing / schredding up the belts, Mopar was advising the useage of the clutch pulley update / upgrade.

I think we wedged a screw driver ( carefully ) up against the rotor of the alternator, and used the strap wrench on the pulley itself.

Nothing like a little red-neck engineering to get us by when the Mopar store didn't have a clue. Or at least SAID they didn't. After my last wonderful Mopar experiance with a recall on a fleet vehicle, i am beginning to believe our government bail out money was throwing good money after bad at the pentestar of junk. :lol:

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 dmullenax

dmullenax

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 775 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

This is from http://millerspecial...x.com/Main.aspx but after looking at the tool and the picture above, I'm not quite sure how it'll work...

Electrical > 8433A
Tool Number 8433A
Your Price (USD) $69.49
Tool Name REMOVER/INSTALLER, DECOUPLER

Posted Image

#6 louevil

louevil

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Automotive, Metalworking, Welding.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

They have the "spline" socket for replacement of the decoupler. Have the info at work. Will get the name of company and tool info tomorrow. Will repost on here. Alot of people/shops replace the alternator when the decouple goes bad, not necessary. There is an aftermarket for these.

#7 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Wow, I didn't think anybody bothered to rebuild alternators anymore- I didn't think it was cost effective. The belt note is interesting though.

#8 louevil

louevil

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

gates.com, tool part #91016. They also sell the decouplers.

#9 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

They have the "spline" socket for replacement of the decoupler. Have the info at work. Will get the name of company and tool info tomorrow. Will repost on here. Alot of people/shops replace the alternator when the decouple goes bad, not necessary. There is an aftermarket for these.

Yes, it is not necessasary to replace the whole alternator when just the over running clutch / decouple part goes bad. However, ours usually go out around 100 K miles. So am i going to change out that part with that many miles on the alternator? That would be a HELL no. With my luck, the alternator itself would crap out after i did something like that before the next oil change.

ASE master tech

#10 louevil

louevil

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Agree, if it is that old. I would replace it myself. Just sayin it is not always necessary. Not trying to ruffle any feathers. We have seen quite a few with premature failure. Not nearly that kinda mileage.

#11 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

I forgot about that. You were refering to Mopars. With them just about every part fails premature. :lol:

ASE master tech

#12 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

I forgot about that. You were refering to Mopars. With them just about every part fails premature. :lol:

thanks guys. I had the alternator clutch changed for free and was billed for it, and some brushes at a alternator place. I passed on the markup to the customer. If these go out frequently on the dodge caravan, maybe it would be a good idea to have one or two of these clutches in my stock. I am mobile, and can carry something small like this as my room in my vehicle is packed with gear and tools.

#13 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

karpilot, what year of dodge caravans use this clutch on the alternators? is this for all the engine sizes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users