• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bartprince

bartprince

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

i have seen and used pico scope my training...i know snapon ones are around 2500-9000dollars for whopping computer with scope...mini computer.

for pico...just need laptop computer...way less computer power and money..

my question is which scanner/scope you guys used in your career...which one is worth your time and save you time to do diagnostic.
thanks.

#2 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

i have seen and used pico scope my training...i know snapon ones are around 2500-9000dollars for whopping computer with scope...mini computer.

my question is which scanner/scope you guys used in your career...which one is worth your time and save you time to do diagnostic.
thanks.

From what I have read, the pico scope has far better resolution then the snap on vantage or snap-on modis. Can you tell me if the picoscope has a database of the best fixes and sensor locations that the snap on vantage has?

I would consider picoscope if you know your cars and sensor location, and also have wiring diagrams. Snapon vantage if you want portability and take it on the road.

#3 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:All types of motor racing, camping, hunting, fishing, my family and career.... and my Harley

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

From what I have read, the pico scope has far better resolution then the snap on vantage or snap-on modis. Can you tell me if the picoscope has a database of the best fixes and sensor locations that the snap on vantage has?

I would consider picoscope if you know your cars and sensor location, and also have wiring diagrams. Snapon vantage if you want portability and take it on the road.

I don't have either scope.... but I understand that the PICO is a scope... only a scope... and isn't bundled with any other info.

A "data base of the best fixes"? Is this like a multiple guess, shotgun approach or what?

We have access to "Sum-Data" for our all make stuff... what a waste of time that shit is. Give me factory manuals or don't waste my time.

All things being equal, I don't see me needing a lab scope in the near future. In all fairness - I have IDS and work almost exclusively on Ford... We have the VMM and it gets used only rarely... very rarely.

Jim Warman
Ford Master Tech - Diesel Certified
Stercus Accidit

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,348 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

We have a Pico scope. Myself, i have never used it. But others have. Same with the Strap-On scanner. Although i have used the GM Tech 2 and a little of the Mopar and International Harvester scanners and software.

I feel that all of thease units are the responsibility of the repair shop in question to order, and keep updated with the current information. All part of being in business. As much as the air compressors, lifts, etc.

But if one paints oneself into the corner and never uses any other tools and equiptment, and doesn't know what else is out there or how to use it, do not be surprized if and when the day comes where ones own self becomes obsolete.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 bartprince

bartprince

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

my reason being is that one of tech at one of our shops bring his cheap obdii crap and think he can read Can Bus vehicle that is in different channel of info...half as? info to fix.

He also has vantage and some sort bluetooth crap to connect with vehicle...but, he won't teach to learn how to read or understand...unless he needs help...he will yell and whine if i don't come over to help him out right away...freak...get a life and don't bother me...buddy.

p.s.
if i consider to open my own shop one day...i would like to have proper Can bus scanner through laptop and scope like either $9k snap on scanner ...honestly i wasn't ready to spend that kind of money to start a new shop...sigh...i would be really hard to start out like that,,,,

nice to start a shop but, to keep the door open is the hard part.

thanks for input. kp, jim warman.

#6 Valvetronic

Valvetronic

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

One thing to remember about using a laptop is that it is powered by its own battery, whereas a dedicated scanner is powered by the data link connector.

I have AutoEnginuity to check basic PIDs and clear codes with at home, and when you have a laptop plugged in to the AutoEnginuity, you also need to have your laptop power cable plugged into an AC adapter in the cigarette lighter of the car to keep the laptop from dying in the middle of looking at PIDs. You may think your laptop battery will last a while, but it really doesn't. It's very frustrating to use the software and suddenly have the laptop shut down, without giving you a low battery warning. Auto Enginuity's DLC connector does not charge the laptop.

So either use an AC adaptor, or use an extension cord. Sound like a lot of cables going everywhere in a half-assed manner? It is.

Also consider that a regular laptop that is not a Panasonic Toughbook is really not designed for shop use. Laptops have become a lot cheaper though and I would still prefer a laptop with scan tool software installed over a way more expensive Solus. Just be aware that it is a sometimes awkward setup.

#7 louevil

louevil

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Automotive, Metalworking, Welding.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

thanks.

Personally I am not a fan of the all in one tool (scan tool/scope). Our shop use to have a Modis.....didnt like it. Never personally used it (lab scope), helped other people use and read it. Now they use the Verdict........wow, expensive. For a scope, mine is outdated, I use the Sun LS2000. Love it, just gettin old. I am in the market for a new scope (pc based) and have looked into the pico scopes, nice! Also look at E-scope. They have a 1,000 dollar version (4 channel) that has a dual time base, havent seen that on any other scope. They have a 4-5,000 dollar version that is 8 channel. Only reason would be nice for 8 channel, is ignition. I also use the vantage, sometimes graphing multimeters are easier to use and read on certain apps. For a scan tool I use the Launch Diagun, yes it is bluetooth, but we are an all makes shop......and it does all makes nicely. It leans more to the asian/euro apps. But domestic coverage is good. Just do alot of comparing and get what suits you and what your going to be doing. Good luck.

#8 bartprince

bartprince

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Personally I am not a fan of the all in one tool (scan tool/scope). Our shop use to have a Modis.....didnt like it. Never personally used it (lab scope), helped other people use and read it. Now they use the Verdict........wow, expensive. For a scope, mine is outdated, I use the Sun LS2000. Love it, just gettin old. I am in the market for a new scope (pc based) and have looked into the pico scopes, nice! Also look at E-scope. They have a 1,000 dollar version (4 channel) that has a dual time base, havent seen that on any other scope. They have a 4-5,000 dollar version that is 8 channel. Only reason would be nice for 8 channel, is ignition. I also use the vantage, sometimes graphing multimeters are easier to use and read on certain apps. For a scan tool I use the Launch Diagun, yes it is bluetooth, but we are an all makes shop......and it does all makes nicely. It leans more to the asian/euro apps. But domestic coverage is good. Just do alot of comparing and get what suits you and what your going to be doing. Good luck.

i have used launch scanner, it seem to have some info but, i wasn't able to use it on some vehicle due connection issue...i would go toward verus or verdict due to being wireless, particular panasonic tough books were like $2500 with no program installed...pico like 3000-4000, scanner program 400-1000, bluetooth thing, $600, flight recorder, $500..sort of same thing as verdict or verus would cost like $8900 with laptop with blutooth capability with flight recorder for road test capability with recording...

so, i am starting to think that i wait till price drop to about that sort of thing or make money to pay for it anywayz...

thanks for your info and advice.
tough out there..good luck to you my brothers out there.

#9 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

BTW, I did spend a little to long on finding the source of no compression on a car once. It is rare, but found out the compression rings were stuck. If a transducer was attached to the PCV port, would it show up as a nice spike on the scope? What is considered exceptable and non exceptable blow by numbers?

#10 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

thanks.

Them thar's is fightin' words!

You really saying that a Pico is comparable, and cheaper than one of those overhyped Snap-On pieces of shit?!

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Get a Pico. Be a real tech.

#11 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 2,714 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Them thar's is fightin' words!

You really saying that a Pico is comparable, and cheaper than one of those overhyped Snap-On pieces of shit?!

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Get a Pico. Be a real tech.

(four letter word) that scan tool shit. Be a real-er tech and load up the parts gun. Diagnostics don't pay. You know this.

#12 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

(four letter word) that scan tool shit. Be a real-er tech and load up the parts gun. Diagnostics don't pay. You know this.

LOL. And per usual, Fullsizeblazin completely broadsides me with an argument for which I cannot argue against.

#13 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

And for the record, for the price (or any price), Snap-On uses a pretty crappy computer in that scan tool.

#14 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

If you know electronic thorey well, then by the pico scope. Pico scope is non propitiatory. You can use it on cars or any kind of electronics. I was really surprised that the resolution on the pico was so excellent "on video" that you can see the turbulence inside the cylinder just by how active the secondary spark occurs.

The snapon dies...so does the scope capabilities. Now, what does the new snapon scope/scanner cost? more then a pico!

BTW, DO I really need a pico with my processed wave forms on my snapon scanner? My scanner does not have scope for secondary wave forms analysis so ...that would be the main reason I would want it.

I so not think my Solus pro also analyses fuel pump wave forms...correct me if I am wrong.

#15 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Oval racing, small block chevys, building hot rods. pretty women and fixing powerstrokes.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

To hell with the parts gun, load up the parts C130 and carpet bomb the hell out of it. Eventually something will hit the target...
Dave Didnt drive the longest lasting most dependable truck on the road... Dave drove a Ford. BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. If it werent for Fords, My tools would rust.
Yep, Im a Chevy Guy that works on Fords Mainly diesels.
In the famous words of Jerry Reed. "Well Now Lord Mr Ford I just wish that you could see what your Simple Horseless Carraige has become. Well it seems your contribution to man To say the least got a little out of hand. Well Lord Mr Ford What Have You Done?!"

#16 toyodagreg

toyodagreg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think its all about the budget. I used both when I was going to school. UTI has it all from snapon, and toyota program they introduced us to the picoscope, which i think is great as well. Like "Valvetronic" mentioned earlier, unless you get the toughbook and you're in the shop environment, you're probably gonna go through laptops alot. Plus aside the pico you will need a scanner for reading obd2. If you get the snapon scanner on the other hand, yes it will be ddurable, but then you gotta buy the updates which are well over a grand each year, that is if you want to keep up to date. But it will be an all-in-one unit which would be great. I would love to get one of those snapon scanner/scopes, but with what I am doing right now, no way I could afford it.

#17 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Oval racing, small block chevys, building hot rods. pretty women and fixing powerstrokes.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think its all about the budget. I used both when I was going to school. UTI has it all from snapon, and toyota program they introduced us to the picoscope, which i think is great as well. Like "Valvetronic" mentioned earlier, unless you get the toughbook and you're in the shop environment, you're probably gonna go through laptops alot. Plus aside the pico you will need a scanner for reading obd2. If you get the snapon scanner on the other hand, yes it will be ddurable, but then you gotta buy the updates which are well over a grand each year, that is if you want to keep up to date. But it will be an all-in-one unit which would be great. I would love to get one of those snapon scanner/scopes, but with what I am doing right now, no way I could afford it.

Tough book isnt tough. Probably the biggest scam of the century... Batteries dont last for shit and IF they are dropped say from the top of ones tool box... dont expect the touch screen to work or the screen to ever work period...

I have a laptop that looks like its been in a warzone... Its a cheap dell and its alot tougher than a tough book. EVERY dealership had a tough book with IDS on it. Until they found out the software can be uploaded to ANY windows based pc/laptop. Then theyd keep only one tough book usually for us truck shop guys with waabco and other truck diag software for the F650/750s.
Dave Didnt drive the longest lasting most dependable truck on the road... Dave drove a Ford. BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. If it werent for Fords, My tools would rust.
Yep, Im a Chevy Guy that works on Fords Mainly diesels.
In the famous words of Jerry Reed. "Well Now Lord Mr Ford I just wish that you could see what your Simple Horseless Carraige has become. Well it seems your contribution to man To say the least got a little out of hand. Well Lord Mr Ford What Have You Done?!"

#18 bartprince

bartprince

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

always find one like that in asia...they will open it up for ya..

still looking...nice new wireless toys from snappy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users