Power steering pump lets you turn only one way

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 syntheman

syntheman

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Put a rebuilt power steering pump on my Brothers 92 F150 truck with 5.8 engine. New belt and tensioner installed, it only gives assist going one way. My first thought is the valve in the rebuilt pump is bad. The old pump seized up. I was going to just return the pump and get another one. Does that make sense. Thanks

#2 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

No it does not make sence... The pump has no idea if you are turning right or left. The spool valve in the gear is what decides right or left turning of the steering wheel. My guess is the pump went out and contaminated the fluid this in turn took out the spool valve on the gear.
Warren Johnson, Administrator
Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#3 syntheman

syntheman

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

We replaced the Power steering pulley because it broke loose from the pump originally. Then the old pump seized up and took out the belt and power steering pulley. After that. Can a bad hose cause the one way only turning as well. I guess at this point the hoses and the gear should be replaced?

From the Cardone site:

TOP POWER STEERING PUMP QUESTIONS

Q. Why do I still have hard steering in one direction after I replaced the pump?
A. The problem is not in the pump it is in the steering gear. The pump would cause a steering problem in both directions.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Whenever you have a seized pump, debris has a nasty habit of going everywhere. Plugging up the steering gear, and quite possibly the p/s cooler as well. If the truck has one. Usually the only problems i have seen with p/s hoses are leaks.

Same type of thing can and does happen with an a/c system. Only a whole lot more expensive. You get an a/c compressor to seize, and debris goes into the accumulator, the orrifice, the condenser, and the evaporator. A really ugly repair.

Now you need to replace the steering gear. And flush out all the p/s fluid. And hopefully, you didn't get any of the old fluid debris lodged and contaminated into the new pump you just installed.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 syntheman

syntheman

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:52 AM

I think at this point I will just replace the gear, and flush it some more. Then I'll put on a magnifine filter. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

#6 syntheman

syntheman

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

Put a rebuilt gear "cross fingers" and had it running for a bit. Just need to install a filter in the line and check it for leaks. Hopefully it will all be OK. I noticed buried in the instructions which I don't normally read, it said that if you don't put a filter in the system the warranty for the gear is toast........... You would think they would have a big red tag on the gear telling you that! Dips..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users