ticking noise in engine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fishman

fishman

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

This vehical is a 2003 Dodge Dakota,4.7 liter.When starting the vehical cold there is a ticking noise from the engine.The noise only lasts for approx. 10-20 seconds and gradually goes away.All the valve lash adjusters have been replaced and the timing chains and tensioners have also been replaced.It does not sound like an oil pressure issue because it sound like maybe 1 or 2 adjusters have bled down but eventually pump back up after running the engine for a short time.
chrysler,jeep,dodge certified

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,443 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Our fleet vehicles do the same thing. Try using a better grade of oil and filter. This will lesson, but not fix, the problem.

I do not think there even is a fix for it. Just the nature of the beast. Make sure you have a top quality oil filter with a good internal drain back valve in it.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 fishman

fishman

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Our fleet vehicles do the same thing. Try using a better grade of oil and filter. This will lesson, but not fix, the problem.

I do not think there even is a fix for it. Just the nature of the beast. Make sure you have a top quality oil filter with a good internal drain back valve in it.

#4 fishman

fishman

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

do you have any of the Dodge 4.7 liter engines in your fleet ?

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,443 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

I think so. We have a few Durango's. And we usually get the base, small engines. In 4 X 2 vehicles.

The 4 X 4 vehicles get the bigger engines.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#6 brettfromokla

brettfromokla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

This vehical is a 2003 Dodge Dakota,4.7 liter.When starting the vehical cold there is a ticking noise from the engine.The noise only lasts for approx. 10-20 seconds and gradually goes away.All the valve lash adjusters have been replaced and the timing chains and tensioners have also been replaced.It does not sound like an oil pressure issue because it sound like maybe 1 or 2 adjusters have bled down but eventually pump back up after running the engine for a short time.

You need to make sure that the oil is 5w20 and not some other grade. Also you need to install a Mopar oil filter. It has an anti drain back valve in it which keeps the oil up in the engine. Your problem is being caused by the oil draining back into the filter and the lash adjusters and upper engine bearings are running dry on startup. If you continue to run with the improper oil or filter you will eventually pop out a cam follower on startup and need a repair $$$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users