• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

What do you guys do about the timing chain nylon tensioner guides when they fall off? Got a call from my daughter to pick up nylon guides for the tensioner. Check all around and the only thing thwy wanted to sell me is a Timing Chain Kit for about $530. All I want is the nylon guides. Is that going to be a problem?

TIA
Bob

#2 tim forkum

tim forkum

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Ford Truck Restoration

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Did you check the Motorcraft web site? Found them priced separate at my Ford dealer connect.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,494 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

I am assuming you are talking about the guides for the timing chains, and not the lower balance shaft guide? Because that one also breaks.

And when that one breaks, you have to pull the engine to properly repair it and get all of the little pieces out of the oil pan and where ever else they landed.

Did a few back in the day. It ain't pretty either.......... :angry:

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 m-chan68

m-chan68

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

What do you guys do about the timing chain nylon tensioner guides when they fall off? Got a call from my daughter to pick up nylon guides for the tensioner. Check all around and the only thing thwy wanted to sell me is a Timing Chain Kit for about $530. All I want is the nylon guides. Is that going to be a problem?

TIA
Bob

If you are referring to the tensioner and guides for the primary jackshaft chain, Ford does sell a kit with an updated beefier tensioner and guide as well as chain and sprockets for $120.01US through www.fordparts.com. The part number is 2U3Z-6D256-CA. Here is the link:

https://www.tituswil...A&submit=Search

But........here is the big question. WHO is doing the repair? The reason I ask is because this repair will require use of about FIVE different timing drive holding component tools that are specific to this very engine. The margin for error in this repair is ZERO. Mistiming this engine WILL bend valves, which on a vehicle of that vintage would probably mandate scrapping it. That said, I highly recommend this job being done by nobody, other than someone who is experienced with this particular engine.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Tech

Yorkdale Ford/Lincoln Sales

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

#5 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Sorry for the late response. Things have been hectic. We have a grandson in the hospital in ICU. so i have been trying to keep things tied together on this end while his mother and grandmother is in there with him. Anyway I will give you an update as to how things are going. It started with my daughter blowing the engine in her Explorer. So she decided the best way to go is put another engine in it. so she ask me to find an engine. I found one and had it delivered to the guy that was going to install it. He got it installed and called me and give me a parts list oil,antifreeze,air cleaner and etc. I picked everything up and dropped it off. The next call I got was the lower oil pan was no good. It has pin holes in it. So they were going to replace it with the pan from the old engine. They took the old one off and when they cleaned it up it had pin holes in it. Plus plastic pieces off the timing chain tensioner and guides. I got another pan and when they dropped the pan on the new engine it had plastic pieces in it too. So the guy wants me to buy the new timing chain kit. Well my thoughts were are we going to throw more money into an engine we don't even know if it runs or not. So after going on line and searching I find out there were a lot of problems with this engine and ford extended the warranty on them for this reason. So after standing back and thinking for a while my thoughts were (hopeing anyway) maybe the tensioner and guides were replace on this engine under warranty and when they did it they never dropped the pan and cleaned out the plastic pieces. So I told him to just throw the pan on and get it running and see what we have. So a couple of hours later he called my daughter and said it was ready and its running beautiful. So that is where we stand right now. I haven't heard it so I don't know.

Anyway thanks for the responses I appreciate it

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users