• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheprr2174

sheprr2174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

Daughter took her car in for an oil change; 60 miles after oil change there isn't any oil on the dip stick. But there is oil all over the engine.
She took it to a service station in Traverse City Michigan.
They told her that the front crank seal was being pushed out because of to much end play at the crank; this measurement is 0.60 of an inch. The car only has 58,000 miles on it.
The shop put in a new main seal which lasted about 1 hour.
It just seems strange to me that 60 miles after an oil change this problem starts.
I will be towing the vehicle back to my home this weekend. Again this is a 2005 Dodge Stratus 2.4 liter DOHC.
Any suggestion will be greatly appericated!
shep

#2 JTEC

JTEC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:varied

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

The 2.4L have an issue with poor machining practices at one of the engine plants.
Basically the guy running the crank grinder cut too much off the thrust face of the crank.
I've replaced probably about 10-12 engines and replaced 18-20 crank kits for this issue in the past 2-3 years.
I hope you have 7/70 powertrain protection. If not call the customer service number in your owners manual and ask for assistance-be nice, courteous and explain you have heard of the issues with this engine-DO NOT say "I will never buy XXX again"-they may only ask for a $100 to 250 deductable if your not a dick to them.

#3 sheprr2174

sheprr2174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thank you
I will give this a try .
sheprr

#4 greg's garage

greg's garage

STAFF

• Staff
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:All motor sports ,
    Cars,beer,women,sex,
    and rock and roll

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (JTEC @ Dec 31 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 2.4L have an issue with poor machining practices at one of the engine plants.
Basically the guy running the crank grinder cut too much off the thrust face of the crank.
I've replaced probably about 10-12 engines and replaced 18-20 crank kits for this issue in the past 2-3 years.
I hope you have 7/70 powertrain protection. If not call the customer service number in your owners manual and ask for assistance-be nice, courteous and explain you have heard of the issues with this engine-DO NOT say "I will never buy XXX again"-they may only ask for a $100 to 250 deductable if your not a dick to them.

Interesting JTEC have a few customers with this car was it just the 2005 year ?

Indy shop owner!

LET US
GO FORWARD
TOGETHER
Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

Life at its best, Dominican Republic.

With determination and will, you can do it.

#5 JTEC

JTEC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:varied

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (greg's garage @ Jan 5 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting JTEC have a few customers with this car was it just the 2005 year ?

No, the issue is from 05 to 07 and is very inconsistant. Most were 05 or early build 06 but I have done 1 mid year 07 just last month.
It typically takes them 15000 to 25000 miles to push the seal out which explains why they didn't identify the issue quickly.
There is no sequence of Id for the issue since they don't know which engines the goof screwed up-was it all or some and which did he machine?

Interestingly enough for those that like the "low cost" labor-all 2.4L with this issue come from the Saltillo engine plant in upscale Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Jose the machinist strikes again. thumbdown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users