• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

I have a 1999 Camry which pulls to the left when driving and the brakes are not being applied. It is barely perceptible at 40 mph and not noticeable at all at 30 mph. At 55 and above, the car will pull very noticeably to the left if I let go of the wheel. The tires are wearing fine and the car has had two 4-wheel alignments done by different shops in the past 3 months and it still pulls. None of the brakes are dragging. The car is a 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission.

This car has 67K miles on it and I have driven 2 others of the same year and similar mileage and both of those pulled exactly like this. I heard somewhere that a TSB was issued for this problem and my internet searching has shown it to be a common problem on Gen 3 and Gen 4 cars. What is causing the pull and is it possible to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Guest_Dennis W_*

Guest_Dennis W_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

First, or next, thing to do is rotate the tires. If the pull changes or goes away, you have what is called a radial tire pull. Any reputable alignment shop will know this and recommend it or, as in my shop, rotate the tires if needed after alignment.

Front wheel drive vehicles have very few problems with alignment causing pull. On most the caster is not adjustable, and caster is what can cause a vehicle to pull. I am not familiar with the a TSB for this but someone else here may know it.

#3 L1Tech

L1Tech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

Agreed with Dennis. I saw this many times when I worked in a tire shop. Sometimes a faulty tire will look fine and feel ok (no shaking at speed), but cause a pull. The only way to diagnose it is to rotate from side to side and see if the pull follows the tire. Start by rotating the tires on one axle at a time.
ASE Master Technician w/L1

#4 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

I rotated the tires: Front tires swapped L/R to rear. Rear tires straight forward. The car still pulls to the left and it seems like it may even be a bit worse at slower speeds.

#5 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

I just read about TSB #ST002-04. Has anyone had any luck correcting this pulling problem by using this TSB?
Basically, this TSB says to do a 4-wheel alignment, rotate the tires and rotate the spring insulators which are at the top of the springs on the front struts.

Thanks,
Ron

#6 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Cross rotate the front tires and se if the pull goes the opposite way.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#7 greg's garage

greg's garage

STAFF

• Staff
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:All motor sports ,
    Cars,beer,women,sex,
    and rock and roll

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

1. Check your wheel bearing
2. Check Your strut and sping
3. try different wheel alignment shop .
Indy shop owner!

LET US
GO FORWARD
TOGETHER
Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

Life at its best, Dominican Republic.

With determination and will, you can do it.

#8 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

3 Shops have looked at the alignment on this car.
1) Local dealer did a 4 wheel alignment.
2) About 1 month later, Toyota dealer put the car on the rack and said everything was fine.
3) Another local shop did a 4 wheel alignment.

Car still pulled to left after each visit.

Rotated tires. Car still pulls to left.

Ok, swapped front tires. Car still pulls to left.
Bearings are good. Struts are good.

Does anyone have a copy of Toyota Service Bulletin Number: ST00204? I have read numerous accounts of this TSB fixing the left pull problem on many different year Camrys. Here is all I know about the TSB. I simply cannot find the entire document.

Service Bulletin Number: ST00204 Replacement Bulletin Number: ST00204
NHTSA Item Number: 10011750 Date of Bulletin: 20040204
Failing Component: 020000 SUSPENSION
Date Added to File: 2005-01-31
Summary:<BR>
VEHICLE PULL/DRIFT IMPROVEMENT PROCEDURE. *JB UPDATE. *TT

Thanks for your help.

#9 Guest_Dennis W_*

Guest_Dennis W_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

OK, I have avoided this question, but you make that hard to maintain......why are you bouncing from shop to shop? Looking for the one with the answer? Have the rest all given up on your problem? All I can figure is the pull is bad enough to make you pursue a cure.

#10 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

OK, I have avoided this question, but you make that hard to maintain......why are you bouncing from shop to shop? Looking for the one with the answer? Have the rest all given up on your problem? All I can figure is the pull is bad enough to make you pursue a cure.

I took the car in for the initial alignment because it was pulling to the left and the shop performed a 4 wheel alignment. The pulling was still there and the shop said there was nothing wrong with the car. Later, I had the car in a Toyota dealership for other work and asked them to recheck the alignment while they were servicing the car. The Toyota mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the car. ( It's starting to sound like me and not the car huh?) As a last ditch effort, I took the car to yet another shop which I have used in the past and they did another 4 wheel alignment and rotated the tires. Ok, so now I believe that the car alignment is set to factory specs as verified by 3 competent mechanics. But, at 55 mph, if I let go of the steering wheel, the car will do a fast lane change. I apologize for my persistance but I simply cannot believe that any car would be normal and pull to the left like this.

I have done some research on the Camry's and it seems that quite a few of them pull to the left. I would accept it as normal except for the fact that I have now stumbled across a Toyota TSB and Toyota acknowledges that the pull is not normal. For this reason, Toyota has issued TSB #ST002-04 and I am trying to get a copy of that TSB. Apparently, it addresses checking the alignment, rotating the tires and lastly adjusting the front spring perches. Obviously, I have taken care of the alignment and the rotation. According to the TSB, the last thing I need to do is rotate the spring perches but without the TSB, I do not know how much to rotate the perches.

#11 Guest_Dennis W_*

Guest_Dennis W_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

I don't know that anyone here can provide Toyota service bulletins. Did you discuss it with the dealer after they found nothing wrong? That seems like a logical place to ask, they will have all the TSBs for Toyotas.

#12 greg's garage

greg's garage

STAFF

• Staff
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:All motor sports ,
    Cars,beer,women,sex,
    and rock and roll

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

whalerron check out here to chk TSB

thumbsup.gif http://www.toyotawee...hp?showtopic=27 thumbsup.gif
Indy shop owner!

LET US
GO FORWARD
TOGETHER
Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

Life at its best, Dominican Republic.

With determination and will, you can do it.

#13 ktmlew

ktmlew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

There doesn't appear to be a TSB that applies to your car, so...

Does the car have any type of body modifications? If all orginal and never been wrecked I would check both front brake asemblies temp after a highway drive. Make sure you don't have a caliper hanging.
What type of roads do you drive on when the pull is happening; interstate, two-lane, etc?

Is the steering wheel dead straight when the pull is not noticed?

Does the steering wheel need to be held "off-center" to maintain a stright track when on a flat non-crowned highway?
ASE Master Auto Tech
Ford Diesel Certified
30+ Years of Beating Myself UP!

#14 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

The car is all stock and has never been in any accidents. Most of my travelling is on interstate highways but the pull exists on any road, crowned or flat and it is most noticeable over 50 mph. If I hold the wheel straight, the car goes straight. As soon as I let go of the wheel, the car starts to do a lane change. If it was due to a dragging brake, I would expect a need to oversteer to compensate for the drag. But, maybe you are right about a caliper. I am wondering if one barely drags and so I cannot feel it when I rotate the wheel when the car is up on jacks. But, maybe with faster rotation, that brake heats up and that in turn causes more drag. I will use an infrared thermometer and find out what the calipers look like after a few miles of highway driving. The real trick will be to slow the car down to a stop without using the front brakes. I will let you know what I find.

Whatever is causing this problem must be a common issue. I have driven 3 1999 Camrys in the past 6 months and each of them had about 65K miles and each pulled similar to mine.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. Thanks.

#15 downdrafttube

downdrafttube

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:wood working, gardening, old movies

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:36 AM

I beleive there is one type of tire condition that can cause a pull ( in your case to the left) even if you swapped the tires left to right or to the back it would still cause the pull to the left . the only way to confirm is to swap tires from a nother vehicle or have the tires road force balanced and measurements taken
Ford Master tech
A.S.E. Master cert
MACS cert
A.S.E Parts cert tech

#16 whalerron

whalerron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

Here I am 6000 miles later and with this tire rotation, the pull went from pulling left to pulling right. Apparently I didn't go through all the permutations of tire rotation when I chased this problem in April. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

#17 Rockosmith

Rockosmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

Chalk is your friend.

#18 Rocko1

Rocko1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Chalk is your friend.

Radial pull. Either live with it. Find the combination that doesn't pull and don't rotate or get new tires. I had this on my 08 Expedition and drove me nuts. Continental tires suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users