dual alternators

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maverick4x4cb

maverick4x4cb

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:58 AM

the truck is a 2000 F350 7.3L and has the factory dual alt setup. my question is how the system works. i know how a sing alt system works. from my reading on ALLDATA it says the ECM can turn the secondary alt on and off. does the secondary alt only get turned on when needed. while checking the charging system found the top alt to be in working order. found 0amp output on the lower one. checked the 2 wire plug and found about half a volt, while the upper has battery voltage. how can i test the lower alt.

#2 DDT

DDT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,601 posts
  • Interests:Just so you know;<br />Fishing, Hunting<br />30+ years in this Industry<br />Assisting in to why we get Paid so Little

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

Yes pcm controlled, simple test-- unplug top alt and retest lower.
Just a "MECHANIC/TECHNICIAN"
Former Ford SMT
Flat Rate Pay----Just Say NO
Just so you know;
30+ years in this Industry
Assisting in to why we get Paid so Little
D TURNER
"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you
become by achieving your goals."

#3 Miss36dd

Miss36dd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Why dual alternators? I have a 2000 f350 with a 7.3 . I don't have them. I had to have a larger one put on. I had a 150 amp ambulance alt. put on because of all the lights I run and my CB radio amplifier (TNT 12pak). Would it be better to have a dual setup?
I'm Sorry, I thought I was dealing with ADULTS.
See more of me here.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

The dual alternator set up was an option. But as far as it being any better? Who knows. But i do know that is is very cost prohibitive to add it on after the fact. One would need brackets, both alternators, different belt, new wiring loom, pcm, etc. There is a alternator shop that i have delt with in the past. They can take a stock alternator and rewind it for higher output. That way all that may be needed would be a different belt, if the pulley size was changed. And they also rewind starters for high compression engines, etc.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 Miss36dd

Miss36dd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Karrpilot @ May 8 2007, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The dual alternator set up was an option. But as far as it being any better? Who knows. But i do know that is is very cost prohibitive to add it on after the fact. One would need brackets, both alternators, different belt, new wiring loom, pcm, etc. There is a alternator shop that i have dealt with in the past. They can take a stock alternator and rewind it for higher output. That way all that may be needed would be a different belt, if the pulley size was changed. And they also rewind starters for high compression engines, etc.

I have never heard of any wreckers or transporters having dual setup. It seems that it would just be more trouble. But maybe not. I wore out 2 stock alts. in the first 100,000 miles on this truck. I have 98,000 on the 150 amp out of Johnson City TN. Electronics via EBAY. On my 2002 f350 7.3 I went through 4 alts in 300,000. This included a rebuilt Auto zone one that a certain sorry ass cheatin Ford dealer in Atlanta Texas snuck on. He only charged me $440.00 to do it. It lasted all the way to Arkadelphia AR. About 100 miles. The Ford dealer there put one on for $390.00 and it is still on and working. I watched the dik hed wrench twister in Atlanta put the alternator on. When he tested it with his bright orange digital Blue Point MultiTester ( I have one to), He told me the reason it was only putting out 11 volts is because the batteries were low and it would increase as they charged. The Mechanic in Arkadelphia told me it should have read 13.8 or higher because the batteries were low. If I had had a second alternator. I might have been able to make it home to Memphis.
I'm Sorry, I thought I was dealing with ADULTS.
See more of me here.

#6 Guest_BMasterjerry_*

Guest_BMasterjerry_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

When you first start a Power Stroke all the glow plugs will draw about 100 amps when on. That's about the maximum capacity an alternator can put out (for an extended period of time). Now imagine in winter time (especially in extremely cold areas) those glow plugs are on for quite a long time while you are flipping on your defroster, wipers, heated seats/mirrors, maybe headlamps, don't forget the radio... thumbsup.gif

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

A few years ago i ran into another diesel truck that kept eating alternators. What i finally found was the starter was drawing too many amps. Between the high discharge the starter was doing, then the glow plugs coming on, and the truck doing stop and go delivery type work, the batteries were never getting fully charged. The alternator was almost always running full output.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#8 Jim Warman

Jim Warman

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:All types of motor racing, camping, hunting, fishing, my family and career.... and my Harley

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:45 AM

Something that many miss is hidden in the fine print provided with the alternator.... Usually goes something like "this alternator is NOT a battey charger... ensure that the batteries are fully charged - yadda yadda"...

To many shops low ball repairs to get the job and leave too many things to chance - including proper charging system maintenance at the time of alternator replacement. Slam dunk an alternator and wave goodbye - no need to clean battery terminals and ensure that the connections are up to snuff, etc. etc. etc....

Jim Warman
Ford Master Tech - Diesel Certified
Stercus Accidit

#9 Winkman

Winkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

I Work on Six Ambulances Two are 2002 f350 ambulances . The 02s both have Dual Alts . They seem to work Great, but when they fail or when one fails a code gets set and the System Load manger kicks in shutting down Lights , Strobes and such when on seen . Also when one goes bad i have learned to change them both the same time with Factory Ford Units ONLY . Aftermarket Alts are not worth my time. My 2004 Rigs Have Dual Alts also and i have yet had any go bad. These rigs always have Low batteries so these ALts get a work out all the time.
If it Aint Blown It must Suck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users