• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scottyz

scottyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

I looked at my friends 240 SX that has a shake in the steering wheel when you hit bumps in the road. All the ball joints and tie rod ends are in good condition with no play in them. There are 2 bars that attach to the lower control arms and are mounted on the frame toward the front of the car. These bars have large bushings in them that are all cracked. Not sure what these bars are called? Can these bushings cause the steering wheel to shake when you go over bumps? Can these bushings be replaced on their own or do the have to be replaced with the arm?

#2 sturgeongeneral

sturgeongeneral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Cars of course

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:24 AM

Those bushings you see up front with the long rods on them are called the Tension rods, and have hydraulic filled bushings which are always shot! You can press new bushings in to the tension rods, energy suspension offers poly bushings for them. but better alternatives lean towards after market adjustable tension rods, with stiffer bushings or pillow ball bushings, and are usually adjustable to allow for caster adjustment.

As far as your steering shake tho, the tension rod bushings wont case that. One thing I would check is the steering rack bushings, as those are also a problem area on older nissans. After time oil deteriorates them very bad, causing the rack to move around. Energy suspension also offers a set of these in polyurethane for like 15$. hope this helps
Laters
-Dave-
3 years auto and light truck service
ASE certified Tech...A3 A4

#3 sturgeongeneral

sturgeongeneral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Cars of course

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:25 AM

holy crap thats an old thread, just saw that. lol
3 years auto and light truck service
ASE certified Tech...A3 A4

#4 zcarlvr

zcarlvr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Yep Iit's an old post but I can't resist voicing about the tension rods. If the rod mount is very bad the wheel can move rearward causing negative caster. That WILL cause shake at times, like when hitting bumps. Try thinking of a grocery cart caster wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users