2006 Pontiac G6 Panoramic Sunroof problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 avant1963

avant1963

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hey guys - I was wondering if you could help me out here so when I take my G6 back to the dealership I am armed with all the information possible.

I have a 2006 G6 GT with the Panoramic sunroof. It appears that these roofs have a lot of noise problems, from creaking to banging. This has been documented on Edmunds Town Hall, G6 forums and from general people I have talked to that have the roof.

I contacted Pontiac Customer Care first, since the stories that I have read shows that people who brought the car back to have this problem addressed, Pontiac did not have a solution and after taking the roof apart and putting back together again, the noise was still there.

Since I didn't want my car to be another guinnea pig, I checked with Pontiac for any recalls and checked online for any TSBs that were aimed at the G6, none of them were about the roof.

This weekend I talked to someone on-line that said Pontiac has released a TSB that is only available on the dealer online system that addresses the problem.

Could any GM techs here check for me if this TSB exists and maybe give me a TSB number for this so I can tell the Pontiac dealer (who when contacted by Pontiac themselves were unaware of such a TSB) that it exists and I can stop my 3000 mile car from sounding like a 200,000 mile car.

Thanks for your help on this...

Walt Keegan
www.CheersandGears.com

#2 Robert Wright

Robert Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

i AM IN THE PROCESS OF RESOVING ONE OF THOSE RIGHT NOW. THERE ARE SOME MYLAR WASHERS THAT NEED TO BE OBTAINED FROM GM TO INSTALL BETWEEN THE SUNROOF MOUNTING AND THE ROOF OF THE VEHICLE. THEY ARE HARD TO OBTAIN RIGHT NOW BECAUSE GM HAS NOT UPDATED THEIR BULLETIN YET. I SPOKE WITH THE WABASTO SUNROOF COMPANY FRI. AND THEY TOLD ME GM HAS HAD THE INFO SINCE JAN 18TH. 14 OF THEM NEED TO BE INSTALLED AT THE SUNROOF MOUNTING BOLT POINTS.
FLAT RATE TECH STAFF
GM World Class Certified Technician,
ASE master Certified
I was wondering why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me!

#3 Shortbus

Shortbus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I fixed a sunroof several motnhs ago for a rattle.

What is happening is the sunroof is mounted too tight to the roof skin and when you have some body flex the roof itches the sunroof.

the one I fixed I used 1/2 thick foam to insulate the sunroof from the roof skin.

#4 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

Avanti1963 give the dealer these TSB numbers

ASI - General Guide to Panoramic Sunroof Noise Issues #05-08-67-014 -

Panoramic Sunroof Wind Rush Noise - keywords AC air C3Y glass HVAC leak roof seal water whistle #PIC3472B -

hope this helps these roofs do have a lot of noise issues right now some we have fixed at the dealership and some we have not.

Hope this helps you keep us informed on the out come.

#5 Robert Wright

Robert Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

I followed that bulletin Vince, still had problem just putting the 4 washers on the front mount bolts and foam insulation in between the headliner and roof. The bulletin states that if you have further problems to contact Webasto with a toll free number. I spoke to the rep Brad Hamilton. He had a meeting at the end of Jan. regarding this problem. ! will be receiving the rest of the mylar washers tomorrow and installing them via the stuff Brad e-mailed me. Will update you tomorrow on the results. GM hasn't updated the bulletin on this yet.
FLAT RATE TECH STAFF
ASE master Certified

#6 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

thanks for the heads up we have one we have not been able to fix yet.

#7 Robert Wright

Robert Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

Here is what I had to do. Found out that the washers my parts dept. gave me are the wrong ones. They gave me some black washers that I have no idea where they came from. You need 14 white wahsers you can order through GM SPO the person to contact is Jeanette Dunn. Brad Hamilton from Wabasto sunroof met with Ray Romeo about this particular fix. 4 on the front of the sunroof between the roof panel and the sunroof installed onto the retaining bolts. 2 more on the side mounting bolts. Remove the torx head bolts from the adjusters one at a time, remove the spring that holds the bolt inside of the adjuster and throw it away. install 1 washer between the adjuster and the roof panel, andother one on the torx head bolt and reinstall it. Do that with all 4. Noise on mine was lessened but not gone completely. My final fix was to spray rubberized undercoating around the inside edges of the roof panel and around the sunroof module. Of course be careful and cover everything inside the car as to not get that stuff on the apholstry and dash. It is a bear to get off of skin too. I found that out the hard way. Thank god I have no hair for it to get into. Let sit for a few hours at least then reinstall headliner. Be careful removing headliner in the first place creases easily and there is not enough room to remove it from the right rear door as si says. customer was happy that that noise was gone but hears another noise now. Her vehciel was down for a long time just trying to get all of the washers. GM would only send me 5 at a time even thought we explained to them the conversation I had with Brad. The last time My parts guy spoke to them I think they fonall got all of the info they needed to send us the right amount from now on though. At least I am hoping. If you find another fix for it let me know.
FLAT RATE TECH STAFF
ASE master Certified

#8 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users