• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Embalmer

Embalmer

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:35 PM

My 2001 5.3L Suburban intermittently shows the low coolany indicator. The local dealer pressure tested the system and found no leaks, but they topped off the reservoir. Now every morning, the first 30 seconds of air blowing out of the vent smells like coolant. Do I have to go down to the dealership and tell them to check the heater core? Is there a way to test the core for leaks?

#2 Guest_LAWDOG40_*

Guest_LAWDOG40_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:51 AM

Not a GM tech but a quick test is to set the control to defrost and see if the windsheild fogs up.If it does you can count on a heater core leaking.

#3 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:42 PM

Ray is right on that one. I have not seen any heater cores leak on these trucks yet, but there has to be a first one. about the only other way is to pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks. and see if any coolant comes out any where. you stated that they topped off the coolant was it empty? if so there has to be a leak some where how ever small it may be as the recovery jug is pressureized now since 99' on the new body style trucks. I checked for TSB's for any coolant smells or leaks no TSB's for your concern. bring it back tothe dealer and have them retest it .

#4 Embalmer

Embalmer

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 12:00 AM

I'm a little bit worried because when they tested it the last time and topped it off, I was at 35K and now I'm at 36,600. I told the service dept. I was concerned about this problem manifesting itself after my warranty expired, and he said, reassuringly, "Well, we have on file it was low on coolant."

#5 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2003 - 01:27 PM

thats ok they should help you because it was already documented. just bring it in as soon as you can to check it out. so you won't hurt the engine.

#6 Embalmer

Embalmer

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:19 AM

The day after the dealership checked for coolant leaks with no success, I noticed a small puddle of oil in the garage. They checked it out, and it seems the rear main seal was bad. They admitted to me they had never done that repair on a 4.8/5.3/6.0 and didn't even have the tool to do the repair. This dealership is fairly high volume for the area! The truck has 37500 miles and they said they contacted a GM rep and it will be covered under warranty IF we have some maintenance done that was due (i.e. fuel filter, rear gear lube, etc.). That sounded a little fishy to me. Also - I noticed when I picked up the truck yesterday that they replaced the transmission cable? Was this a silent recall?

#7 Guest_Badhammer_*

Guest_Badhammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

there is no recall silent or published on the shift cable. from your post I take it that you had them fix the oil leak ? if so they may have damaged the cable in some way when they removed the transmission for the repair? first of all they should not have told you if you do this Mantiance we can do this repair for you. we help out our customers at the dealer where I work and we don't tell them anything like that. all we tell them is yes GM will help you or no they Won't. as for the tool to do the rear main it was sent to them as part of the dealers special tools that gm sends and bills to all dealers when they come out with something new like the new engines they most likely could not find it. Ex: lost it in some ones tool box broke it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users