Electronic Rear-View Mirror - 2000 Lincoln LS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 CinderLS

CinderLS

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 05:08 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows the connector pin layout for the rear-view mirror on the 2000 Lincoln LS, both the "regular" electronic mirror with the auto-dimming feature with a 3-pin connector and the "deluxe" electronic mirror that has both the auto-dimmer and the compass with the 7 pin connector. Here's the story, I'll try to make it short as possible:

I recently had the windshield replaced on my LS by my current dealer after it was damaged while being serviced (by the same dealer). Anyway, when I picked up the car, the rear-view mirror was different than the one that was on it when I dropped off the car. The one I used to have is the "regular" electronic mirror with the auto-dimming features with a 3-pin connector. The one I now have is the "deluxe" electronic mirror that has both the auto-dimmer and the compass with the 7 pin connector. I pointed this out to the dealer, but they claimed that "the mirror on there now was the one that was removed while the windshield was being replaced." Since I had no "proof" which mirror was on there before the windshield was changed and since they had paid for the windshield (after they broke it!), that was that and they really did not want to discuss it any further. Though I am upset, I just want to get the functions I used to have. The problem is that the wire connector from the headliner is the 3-pin connector (fit my old mirror) and the "new" mirror has a 7 pin connector (socket). I now now have a "deluxe" mirror with no auto-dim and no compass. I need the layout of both types of mirrors so that I can try to connect the 3 pin headliner plug (or modified to match the 7 pin) to the 7 pin mirror connector (socket). I really just want to auto-dim feature to work, but would not mind if I could get the compass to work also, if possible.

Thanks to all for their time,
Dennis Rothermich
LLS2K@hotmail.com
http://LincolnLS2K.tripod.com

#2 johnaec

johnaec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 06:05 PM

Are you the original owner? If so, you should be able to get a list of what came with the car, and I imagine it won't show the deluxe mirror if it was an option. If you're not the original owner, I heard somewhere it is possible to get a reprint of the original window sticker from Ford/Lincoln, (info, anyone?). With proof such as this, I'd think you'd have a good chance of getting the correct mirror put back.
John
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6 LX

#3 CinderLS

CinderLS

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 06:42 PM

I am the 2nd owner. And, I have the original window sticker that came with the car from the factory (I found it folded up in the spare tire area in the trunk when I bought the car). I mentioned to the dealer that the LS did not come with the "deluxe" mirror, their response was that the mirror may have been replaced at any time after it was originally sold. Like I said, I am tired of fighting with the dealer, its just not worth the headaches or my time. I would really like to get the dimmer working (and the compass if possible) as I would like to have everything on the car functioning. If this was my '69 Cadi, I would not mind a few things broken. But I paid a lot of money for this car and I really, really like it, just visit my site - heh. Plus, it makes it better if I decide to sell or trade-in the car.
Dennis Rothermich
LLS2K@hotmail.com

#4 Publisher

Publisher

Site Owner

• Root Admin
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 08:37 PM

I did a little research on the mirror issue on your 2000 LS.....it appears that the mirror with the compass inside is standard issue (according to the Ford service publications) on the LS.....the electrichromatic mirror is optional. The optional mirror requires the use of the REM module, while the other has the compass module housed within the mirror. Both of which are in the multiplex network. I would not recommend wiring it yourself. I would obtain the correct mirror for the 7 pin connector. After installed, you must perform a procedure to calibrate the compass module.......I hope this helps
Mark Ward
Publisher, FlatRateTech.com
Former Master Certified Ford Technician
Former Master ASE Certified Auto & Truck
IAMAW Union Journeymen Auto Technician
IAMAW Special Representative and Automotive Coordinator

#5 CinderLS

CinderLS

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the info! That was a really quick response. Though I think that some of the details were lost in the translation. If I understand you correctly, the mirror that just dims was an option and the mirror that dims and has a compass was standard equipment? Or, was there 2 different types of mirrors that dim, or were there 2 types with different types of compasses? This would make 3 possible mirrors available with the LS. Whew, talk about too many options. I think I need a program - heh. But anyway, the mirror I used to have just had the dimmer, no compass of any kind that was visible (it may have had electronics inside the mirror for GPS, but I don't know) and to connected to the headliner with a 3 pin connector. I now have the mirror with both the dimmer and compass (the compass display is on the face of the mirror near the upper right corner). This mirror has a 7 pin socket on the back, but the connector plug from the headliner has only 3 pins (fit old mirror). One other note about the "new mirror," it has a small module wired to it that has a small electronic device housed in plastic that adheres to the windshield. I am assuming that this provide the directional info for the compass as it has copper wire wrapped in discret directions that would indicate to me that it is a electro-magnetic sensor. So, I've got a mirror that needs 7 connections and I only have 3 available coming from the headliner. I really don't care if the compass works (though it is annoying having something that does not work on such a nice car), but the dimming feature is very handy.

Again, thanks for your time. Customer service or help of any kind is almost non-existent nowadays and your quick responses are much appreciated.
Dennis Rothermich
LLS2K@hotmail.com

#6 Guest_<Brian Gowing>_*

Guest_<Brian Gowing>_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2002 - 08:48 AM

Dennis,

From the literature I have the 2000 LS V-8 came standard with the auto-dimming mirror. Unless it was a very late build 2000 the compass mirror was not an option in 2000.

#7 forcetpi

forcetpi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 10:32 AM

I looked at 2000 wiring diagram and only has a three wire connector and if i do recall the compasses on a LS are actually in the dash(message center). But no worries the dealer probable put in a continetal mirror like i put in my chevy van. Your three wire connector goes like this pink 12v, black ground, and white/blue REM module connetion(probable for what you want to do unneeded). can you tell me all the features the new miroor has and how many buttons on front and what they say(auto,lamp or just black)? also you say it is a 7 pin connector but does it actually have 7 pins? or does it have 7 pins and possible be a 8 pin connecotor? Came across all this when I put one in My Parts managers truck

#8 CinderLS

CinderLS

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 11:54 AM

Compass is actually in the mirror, it displays the direction of travel in a small square of non mirrored area in the upper right corner on the face of the mirror itself. But it may send directional info back to the car for use in GPS (but this is only a guess) The mirror has 7 pins, but seems to have enough room for an 8 pin plug. The mirror is one that was available as an option for later LSs as I have seen it in other LSs than I have driven or riden in. It was not even available for my year of LS. And I have not seen this particular mirror in any other Lincoln (or any other car for that matter) The mirror has 2 buttons, Comp and Mirror, which I assume turn on/off the compass and electro-chromic glare feature. There are 3 sensors on the outside of the mirror, 2 in front (mirror side) and one in the back. One of the ones in the front and the one in the back a re light sensors, but I don't know what the third sensor does. Near the 7 pin connector, there is a small module that is wired directly into the mirror that contains the sensor for the compass. Here are all the #'s on the mirror I can find...

I E13(in a circle) 010103 I e13(in a square) 02*0103

GNTX-177

The above is molded into the plastic and 05161 Q was stamped on it.

Thanks
Dennis Rothermich
LLS2K@hotmail.com

#9 forcetpi

forcetpi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 09:00 PM

if your looking at the back of the mirror starting from left 12v first pin & ground in second pin and that's it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users