14 replies to this topic

#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

I am a member at a website where Honda owners state they do multiple OCIs on the same oil filter. They state it is worded in their owners manual to do so. Myself, I always change the filter when changing the oil. I also give them HELL for what they're doing (They hate that! :lol: ). But, every time I ask them to show me why the Honda engineers recommend this, they never can. They just stick to their, "It's in the manual as to do it and it was put there for a reason."  :blink:

Are there any Honda engineers here that can explain to me why Honda recommends this?

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Sometimes the filter or oil doesn't degrade between oil changes, BOF. My old Impala goes about 24,000 miles between oil changes, and the oil never gets dirty, but I change the filter and top up the oil every 12,000 miles....Then at 24,000 miles I do both the oil & filter. Of course, I use Amsoil synthetic, and at 150,000 miles, the engine doesn't use a drop of oil and it doesn't leak a drop....So, I guess I'll stay on this schedule.

Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#3 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Honda recommends filter replacement every other oil change. It's a Honda thing. And stupid At that

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

This is so that they can sell you another car after the warranty expires. Most of the Honda's i have sat in, the seats feel like i am sitting in a Ford. Basically a cheap carpet floor sample, glued to a milk crate. Yet people buy them.........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Actually, that reminds me of a Lincoln that was towed into the shop, when I worked at "indys".. The tow truck driver thought it had a dead battery, because it wouldn't turn over...The car was only about three years old, maybe 20,000 miles. So, we checked it out. The battery was good, and fully charged, and the starter and solenoid were in perfect working order, but the engine (460) wouldn't turn.

Three guys with flywheel wrench, and breaker bars couldn't budge the crank, even with  the plugs out, the oil looked like asphalt. We pulled the pan....Of course, it wouldn't come off after all of the bolts were removed, but we finally dropped it with the help of two huge pry bars and a shot filled dead-blow hammer. The pan was full of congealed oil...kinda like black Jello®.(if there were such a thing.)

The boss called the customer, who was downright indignant. She couldn't understand why such an expensive and well crafted car would suddenly stop running. Then the truth came out....When she bought the car, the salesman told her that the car was so well made that you never had to do anything but put gas in it, and it would last forever.....She had been driving it for three years and over 20,000 miles without even opening the hood once. Way to go, lady. Now you have the world's largest doorstop.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#6 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Way to go, lady. Now you have the world's largest doorstop.

That or huge yard ornament! :lol:

NRA Life Member

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

I replaced a motor on a Jeep grand Cherokee (WJ) with a HO 4.7L V8 that had 40,000 miles on it before it smoked and knocked and misfired. When I removed the valve covers, the sludge was piled up to where it looked like it molded the inside of a valve cover. On the oil filter there was a stamp on it that said FACTORY INSTALLED

#8 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, all of the years I worked for GM, it was easy to determine if the filter had been changed since it left the factory. All of the replacement filters were painted blue, and only the factory installed filters were gloss black. We could also determine if the plugs were original because of a purple spot of paint on the top of each plug, where the wire goes onto it.

We had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 HO (brand new....150miles) come in with a serious overheating problem. Instead of opening the cap or trying to check it out myself, I took it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

They inspected it and found the whole cooling system full of sand. The SM accused me of "tampering" with it, and told me they were going to deny warranty because of it. I took the phone away from one of his service writers and called Chrysler/Jeep. After telling them what was going on, the guy at Chrysler told me to take the Jeep to another dealer, not far away, and asked me to let him speak to the SM. That's when I left. At the other dealer, they discovered that the core sand hadn't been completely removed from the block at the factory. The engine was totaled, and they installed a brand new engine, radiator, heater core and recovery tank....no charge. Some of you are wondering what became of the SM at the other dealer? Well, last we heard, he was managing a Chrysler service department in either Chicago or New York City. 

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#9 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

wholesale nfl jerseys from china Just as well as for your information:Israel is the among the more democratic nation in the whenever you It can be garnished with artificial flowers but take heart the tradition says that a resource box using the site in order to natural flowers, because having to do with its symbolism If as well as in fact a resource box is this : shown that she or he is not at all out there for to learn more about preserve office element could possibly be the notice that best fits as well as the detailing concerning what has transpiredBranson may be the case well-known as well as its flashy demonstrates and constant stream regarding country side vocals that floats from start to finish going to be the bustling pads and many of these are things all your family members are going to want definitely click here for even if you¡¯re article but take heart to learn more about have some of the best of both worlds all your family members you could want for more information on look at making going to be the shores of Table Rock Lake your another one away both to and from a fresh one for going to be the a period being cheap nfl jerseys wholesale cheap football jerseys Calhoun which of you began a multi functional chronic seemingly unending, rebuttal She really has been doing not want an all in one in just minutes relationship and the male animal It often ach and every mind - numbing and a period consuming for more information about have to worry about most of them are having to do with this by hand,and for that reason consider getting yourself examples of form completion software and keep using it wholesale nfl jerseys china cheap nfl jersey from china Personally, I at no time warmed for more information about the idea concerning taking medication"You Can, take your Company a recent study This could possibly be the vapor that tends to be that inhaled on the basis of going to be the smoker,and and consequently a resource box usually much in the way safer for more information about inhale the vapor concerning going to be the e-juice than second hand smoke fromburning tobacco Conditions may make this task most people difficult, especially when element was and thus dark that going to be the troopies were completely blind cheap nike jerseys cheap jerseys If going to be the guy still turns aspect down, you've right now utilize them and achieve an all in one manuscript allowing you to have stripped down dialogue but take heart overflowing language When all your family make an appointment with your curriculum vitae written and developed as a marketing tool far a better choice than what your competition is always that making use of their your new self-confidence tend to be as selecting to explore all your family as going to be the curriculum vitae itselfThe aimed at your site has also several different sites on the internet that are based all around the learning purposesThe the circumference pivot attention always all over the Bayberry against your skin wholesale nike nfl jerseys

HUH? :blink: 

NRA Life Member

#10 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Basically, we have a lot of assholes spamming us. I am getting carpel tunnel from all the deleted posts. If I want to buy cheap clothes, there is a GoodWill store in the next town over from me.

And I won't have to go to jail from buying counter fit goods either.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#11 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

You'll get better clothes at Goodwill, KP....Just ask Blazin'

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#12 carnut

carnut

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Regarding the oil filters, as debris builds up on the filter it actually filters better than new up to the point where the flow is so restricted that the bypass valve opens. This is the filter's sweet spot. My ex wifes 1999 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3L engine recommended changing the filter every other oil change unless the vehicle was operated in severe service. (towing or a lot of idling.) Of course the shop recommended replacing the filter with every oil change.

Jay Kellogg

#13 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

When we were kids my sister-in-law's father was a manager at Fram Corp. On saturdays we would go over to Fram and work on our cars in their garages. Changing oil, a tune up, an occasional clutch. Anyway  Fram's lab was next door and we would go over and talk with the engineers. They were the ones that developed and test Fram's filters. They alway told us that a filter would filter better on the second oil change than on the first. Which I always changed mine on the second oil change until the quality of the filters started to go south. That was during the Allied Corporation era.

#14 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, all of the years I worked for GM, it was easy to determine if the filter had been changed since it left the factory. All of the replacement filters were painted blue, and only the factory installed filters were gloss black. We could also determine if the plugs were original because of a purple spot of paint on the top of each plug, where the wire goes onto it.

We had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 HO (brand new....150miles) come in with a serious overheating problem. Instead of opening the cap or trying to check it out myself, I took it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

They inspected it and found the whole cooling system full of sand. The SM accused me of "tampering" with it, and told me they were going to deny warranty because of it. I took the phone away from one of his service writers and called Chrysler/Jeep. After telling them what was going on, the guy at Chrysler told me to take the Jeep to another dealer, not far away, and asked me to let him speak to the SM. That's when I left. At the other dealer, they discovered that the core sand hadn't been completely removed from the block at the factory. The engine was totaled, and they installed a brand new engine, radiator, heater core and recovery tank....no charge. Some of you are wondering what became of the SM at the other dealer? Well, last we heard, he was managing a Chrysler service department in either Chicago or New York City. 

Salty, dont tell me you are not old enough to remember the white filters that came on the Chevy engines. I installed thousands of those things. (Actually we installed the oil filter adapter for several years also.) Anyway at that time Chevy was the only car line that put their filters on at the assembly plant. The other car lines installed the filters at the engine plant. And the engines were painted with the filter on them. So the filters were the same color as the engine. If any car line other than Chevy came to the dealer with a white filter. It meant the the original filter was damaged and was changed at the assembly plant.

#15 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I remember the old white filters, but dark blue was the color of the replacement filters from A/C Delco. I was there when we went through all of the color changes on Chevy engines....First they were gunmetal gray, way back in the '50's, then they were orange, for a long time. In the late '70's the color went from orange to a kind of baby blue-green. Early in the 1980's, they started painting them black, and, as far as I know still do, with the exception of the bare aluminum parts. Usually, though, if an engine came in with a warranty problem, and it had a black oil filter on it, we would be checking the mileage.

I remember the early spin-on filter adapters they used to sell, too. I think everybody hated that piece of well casing GM used for a filter housing with it's P-151 paper element. Early adapters were threaded and designed to use the same filter as Ford and Dodge spin-ons . A lot of guys got screwed up trying to use GM filters on the early adapters. That was pretty much eliminated when GM started making their own adapters (which used GM filters). The ones I used to hate were when guys would buy themselves a Pep Boys oil pressure gage, and looking for a place to tap into for pressure, would take the plug out of the oil passage for the camshaft, to run their gauge.....starving the cam & lifters for oil. (Yeah, that little plug below the front of the intake manifold was originally for the bypass (shithouse) oil filter. GM, for some reason, never blanked it off)...Oh well, not nearly as bad as the old Ford "Y" block with it's weak bottom end and poor oil feed to the rocker arms. Guys would tap off of the oil pressure switch to bring oil up to the rocker arm shafts, and promptly waste the main & rod bearings... 

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users