losing fuel after 2 seconds when in on position

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stilljackson

stilljackson

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

i recently did a head gasket and timing belt on a 05 civic, not my first, im sure on the timing.

after all put back togeather, car ran awesome for 5 minutes then died. 

we did jumpstart the car twice with 200 amp start, and had the battery out. in case its running through your mind the pcm....and i hope not. i have heard the stories and its happened in my shop. 

but i just cant see it, ive disconnected the battery and jump started so many cars, i just cant see it.

so i unplugged the fuel line coming into the fuel rail, put the key in the on position.......

i believe im right, when in the on position the fuel pump turns on (right?) and stays on, hold pressure and i should have fuel coming out of that line.

well, i do for 2  seconds, i thought that was odd at first, i checked the voltage to the fuel pump. i got battery voltage coming in one wire, and battery voltage in the yellow and green which all data says to check. 

after doing reasearch i learned that its normal to lose that voltage and the fuel pump after 2 seconds, and that the a/t relay, and air fuel ratio relay work togeather. and its normal function.

WHY DONT I HAVE CONSTANT FUEL PRESSURE?

what else is a factor?

its odd that it ran fine and then all the sudden gave out, car was running fine and did for 5 minutes after the job.

any ideas?

thank you

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

The PCM "primes" the fuel system when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. When the engine is cranking or running that's when the fuel pump will run constantly. Check the fuel pressure after cycling the key a few times to get it to full pressure that it will hold. And check your voltage while cranking the engine. Fuel Air Spark Timing What is not happening to make it not run? I'd be checking for codes.

#3 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

On most fuel injected cars, the oil pressure switch is what keeps the fuel pump running after the PCM "primes" the fuel system. On simpler cars the switch just closes a relay allowing the pump to run as long as there's oil pressure. On more "modern" cars the pump is operated by the PCM based on oil pressure and engine rpm.

Hey, Blazin' Nice "skank suit". Are you going on that new TV show? "Trolling for Teenagers"?

Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#4 meme

meme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:sure as hell isnt cars.....thats my job

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

On most fuel injected cars, the oil pressure switch is what keeps the fuel pump running after the PCM "primes" the fuel system. On simpler cars the switch just closes a relay allowing the pump to run as long as there's oil pressure. On more "modern" cars the pump is operated by the PCM based on oil pressure and engine rpm.

Hey, Blazin' Nice "skank suit". Are you going on that new TV show? "Trolling for Teenagers"?

nope, asian, and domestic....worlds apart.... main relay vs.  just run the pump, domestic crap.  may have a relay ,shitting the bed.

unlikely,

he did something,  ?

common sense.

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Meme, nobody (in their right mind) connects an electric fuel pump directly to a switched ignition circuit. Common sense? What happens if the engine blows up or tosses a timing belt? The pump would keep pushing fuel from the tank....Add an engine fire, and you end up burning the car to the ground. The oil pressure switch is designed to shut off the fuel when the engine stops....It's a safety feature...

Oh, why do I bother?

Clean-up on Isle 7!

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Saltmine, maybe Meme wired up his last ride that way. With extra lamp cord, scotch locks, butt connectors, and wire nuts he purchased with Wall-Marts employee discount.

This would explain the shinny new Huffy you have there, eh Meme? :lol:

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

nope, asian, and domestic....worlds apart.... main relay vs.  just run the pump, domestic crap.  may have a relay ,shitting the bed. unlikely,   he did something,  ?   common sense.

Domestics have a fuel pump relay controlled by the PCM. Not an overloaded main relay like a piece of shit Asian car.

#8 meme

meme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Domestics have a fuel pump relay controlled by the PCM. Not an overloaded main relay like a piece of shit Asian car.

I know, domestic shit shuts off  when the POS,oil pressure switch...pukes all the oil out.  nice.

salthead.....I've been trained..... thanks though!    your responses...WELL HELLLLL!....................they are a thread,WITHIN,A THREAD.....

gotta get aisle 4 cleaned up, damn kids spilled milk.

#9 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Standing next to the railroad tracks for an hour don't make you "trained", Cornjob.  BTW, they need you to cover for one of the greeters, at the north door. Poor old gal forgot to wake up this morning.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#10 meme

meme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Standing next to the railroad tracks for an hour don't make you "trained", Cornjob.  BTW, they need you to cover for one of the greeters, at the north door. Poor old gal forgot to wake up this morning.

cornjob?  HOT!

thx.   and yes thats training, I learned to stay off the tracks, shit may hurt. 

and trains run on diesel/over electric.

not bad for standing there..

the greeter had a stroke,not cool.

but hey, its training.

#11 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

In case you're interested....The name "Cornjob" came from an old Godzilla/Gamera movie. You remember them, don't you? Well, the hero in the movie was a newspaper reporter, and his zainy, goof-ball photographer's name was "Cornjob" (probably translated from Japanese) Anyway, "Cornjob" was always getting into trouble...in a humorous way.

It's also "training" when you ride the kiddie train at Knott's Berry Farm.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#12 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Cornjob must have borrowed his Mom's car....

Posted Image

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#13 stilljackson

stilljackson

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

well, like i said, my boss did the timing.  i didnt......what do you know. timing was off.  now its running good.  can somebody tell me how to do a valve adjustment correctly on the 05 civic.  somebody told me the size, and turn the cam gear, using the power steering pulley 45 degrees every cylinder, do 1 firs, then 3, then 4 then 2.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users