01 Civic A/C blower

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rdssable

rdssable

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:02 AM

I have an 2001 Civic with an A/C problem that just occured. While driving down the highway, the A/C blower shut off and the compressor clutch disengaged. Now each time I start the car, the blower and the compressor switch on for about one second and then switch off. I have checked the related fuses and relays and all check good. I jumpered the compressor clutch and it will engage ok then but the blower still won't come on. A check of the r134 pressure shows approx 100 psi with the compressor off. A laptop scan tool shows no stored codes. Has anyone seen this condition? Thanks, RD

#2 rdssable

rdssable

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

Also, I should add that the condensor fan doesn't run either. I'm starting to wonder if there is a pressure switch thats related to this? Thanks, RD

#3 hyundaitech

hyundaitech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Is not the blower for the A/C the same as the blower for the heat? Presuming it is, you need to look at power and ground points that are common to the blower, the radiator fan, and the compressor, pressure switch, or evaporator temperature sensor.
Even a fish would stay out of trouble if it kept its mouth shut.

#4 CTYankeeboy

CTYankeeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:God, Wife and kids and cars

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Check the blower motor transister. Its located under the blower box. If these fail, you will lose the blower motor and because the blower motor isn't working the A/C doesn't work either.
<a href="http://www.CARMandP.com" target="_blank">CAR Maintenance and Performance</a>
ASE Master Technician
L1 Master
Honda Platinum Certification 2003

#5 rdssable

rdssable

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Hyundaitech and CTYankeeboy for your responses :thumbsup: . I checked the ground path from the blower to the neg batt post and it was good (0 ohms). I also ran the heater controller self diagnosis and got a code 12 (blower problem). I found a shop manual and traced the power transistor sequence up to jumpering between the blk and blu/blk wire which caused the blower to come on full speed. The problem is probably the power transistor-however I can only work on this car on weekends since my daughter takes it during the week. I have also found a web site which details replacing the thermister in the pwr transistor module. I will post more after I learn more this weekend.

#6 rdssable

rdssable

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:36 PM

WOHOO, it's fixed :punk: I pulled the power transistor module, opened the plastic cover and tested the thermistor. It was open. Rumaged thru my junk box and found a 100 ohm resistor and soldered it across the terminals. Snapped it back together and it works! Drove around for a half hour and everything is back to normal.

#7 FAIRLANER

FAIRLANER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars
    American Flyer Trains
    Motorcycles

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

WOHOO, it's fixed :punk: I pulled the power transistor module, opened the plastic cover and tested the thermistor. It was open. Rumaged thru my junk box and found a 100 ohm resistor and soldered it across the terminals. Snapped it back together and it works! Drove around for a half hour and everything is back to normal.

Where is this ptm located? Have a 2002 Civic that doing a similar thing..
Thanks!
Fairlaner!

#8 wendyjo405

wendyjo405

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Where is this ptm located? Have a 2002 Civic that doing a similar thing..
Thanks!
Fairlaner!

I just took my 04 Civ into the shop this morning because it's having the same issue. I did a lot of research before hand and was thinking about doing it myself until I found out the extended warranty covered it. Thank goodness! Anyway, the transistor (at least on my car) is located behind the glove box. It is a black rectangular box with a silver pronged (not really, but it's the best word I could find to descibe it) backing. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Good luck on that.

By the way, does anyway know if anything in particular causes these things to go out? I'm a bit disappointed that my Civ only 4 years old and already needed it replaced. I am also having to get the driver's side door accuator replaced as well. Hhmmm...

#9 FAIRLANER

FAIRLANER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
    American Flyer Trains
    Motorcycles

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your input! Talked to a service tech and he advise me where the location of the component was and he said the Honda & GM both were experiencing problems with these units. Just recently, I replace one on my 2003 Mercury and it was located under the hood on the heater plenum. I believe heat may be the culprit as far as these units failing or maybe a motor in it's early stage of failure.... Thanks again! Fairlaner!

#10 FAIRLANER

FAIRLANER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
    American Flyer Trains
    Motorcycles

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

I just took my 04 Civ into the shop this morning because it's having the same issue. I did a lot of research before hand and was thinking about doing it myself until I found out the extended warranty covered it. Thank goodness! Anyway, the transistor (at least on my car) is located behind the glove box. It is a black rectangular box with a silver pronged (not really, but it's the best word I could find to descibe it) backing. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Good luck on that.

By the way, does anyway know if anything in particular causes these things to go out? I'm a bit disappointed that my Civ only 4 years old and already needed it replaced. I am also having to get the driver's side door accuator replaced as well. Hhmmm...

Have you cleaned your cabin filters lately, Wendy?

#11 wendyjo405

wendyjo405

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

Yes, actually, I just did that about a week ago. That is one of the first places I looked when I began having this issue. The old one was a little dirty, so I went ahead and installed a brand new one. It's the 1 million mile filter and although I don't really believe it will last a million miles, it really does help with gas mileage!

Do you think this is what could have resulted in the problem with the transistor?

#12 hyundaitech

hyundaitech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

The old one was a little dirty, so I went ahead and installed a brand new one. It's the 1 million mile filter and although I don't really believe it will last a million miles, it really does help with gas mileage!

I think you misunderstand, Wendy. The cabin filter is for the climate control system. I'm not sure where it is ont he Civic, but on most models it's either inside behind the glove box or outside under the windshield cowl.

I believe you're talking about the engine air filter, which, while it can affect fuel economy, won't affect your climate control system. Also, if it allows so much air through that it significantly increases your fuel economy, it's questionable whether it's filtering out all the particulate matter that it needs to in order to protect your engine.
Even a fish would stay out of trouble if it kept its mouth shut.

#13 FAIRLANER

FAIRLANER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
    American Flyer Trains
    Motorcycles

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

The cabin air filters (2) in a 2002 are located behind the glove box and you empty out the box and
on either side of the box are small tabs or stops that you remove and this lets the door swing down so you have access to the filter door that you remove and pull the filters out and replace or clean them.
I sprayed some lysol disinfectant on ours and let them air dry after blowing them out or using a
shop-vac to remove the debris. Pay special attention to the way they come out so you will be able to put
them back in place correctly.... Good luck!

#14 wendyjo405

wendyjo405

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

The cabin air filters (2) in a 2002 are located behind the glove box and you empty out the box and
on either side of the box are small tabs or stops that you remove and this lets the door swing down so you have access to the filter door that you remove and pull the filters out and replace or clean them.
I sprayed some lysol disinfectant on ours and let them air dry after blowing them out or using a
shop-vac to remove the debris. Pay special attention to the way they come out so you will be able to put
them back in place correctly.... Good luck!

Haha, my mistake guys. Thanks for the corrrection. I'll have to take a look at the cabin filters. Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users