• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

I want to know if the electronics in Toyota inverters/converters are serviceable? I mean, can these power electronic modules be troubleshooted to the component level? I was trained in electronics long ago, and thinking of making this my new career choice if I consider it.

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,184 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

Well, just about anything can be fixed. If one has the time and money to do so. However, most times, it becomes a cost issue. This summer, i went to a Ford hybrid course. And for the most part, we would diag the vehicle down to the failed part, and replace it. Now were those failed components internally repairable? I am sure they are. But again, it boils down to time and money. Is it more cost efective to make a new part as oppossed to having a technician repair the old one? Along with having technology advance. Because there does come a time when a person may just not want to have his older ride repaired, and want to shop new,

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 flatratetec

flatratetec

• Inner Circle Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

Well, just about anything can be fixed. If one has the time and money to do so. However, most times, it becomes a cost issue.

This summer, i went to a Ford hybrid course. And for the most part, we would diag the vehicle down to the failed part, and replace it. Now were those failed components internally repairable? I am sure they are. But again, it boils down to time and money.

Is it more cost efective to make a new part as oppossed to having a technician repair the old one? Along with having technology advance. Because there does come a time when a person may just not want to have his older ride repaired, and want to shop new,

I know that when the Escape Hybrids were first introduced we were isolating the faults to the major component and replacing that component (i.e. ECVT, HV batteries). Now that has changed. Especially with the HV batteries where we are replacing the internal cooling fans, wiring harnesses and modules.
Ford Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician
ASE L1
Emission Repair Technician

#4 jmartin2650

jmartin2650

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

At toyota we are trained to diagnose to major components only but if you do go into that just make sure you pull the hybrid service plug (big Orange plug) should be in the rear depending on which vehicle you are dealing with. Whats the issue?

#5 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

No issue, just want to know more about them. BTW, seems that Toyota has learned from the private electric car community on converting the Toyota hybrid to a plug in hybrid :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users