• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M31

M31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Anyone else love the Gearwrench line of tools?

Quality, fit, and finish seems to be on par with anything you'd find on the tool truck, but for prices that actually make sense.

Seriously, Snapon and Matco ratchets that cost $130 are no better than a $30 Gearwrench ratchet.

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I found 2 of those wrenches inside the squad cars I was upfitting. A 10 mm one and a 13 mm one. It didn't take me too long to strip out the 10 mm. I noticed that Napa also carries them, so I got it warrantied.

Knowing that I wasn't really over stressing the wrench when it let loose on me, I have decided not to buy them. I can make do with what I currently have. And after doing this since the late 1970's, I pretty much have what I need.

However, you are correct in what the tool fools want for their overpriced items. Luckily I have discovered that Amazon sells top quality tools for quite less. Many of them made in the USA. Along with Tool Topia.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 Cooters94

Cooters94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

gearwrench makes most of matco stuff anyhow i think. they just throw the matco label on it.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

If that is the case, it would explain a lot of things. Air Cat makes Mac air tools. With the Mac name on it, expect to pay 2-3 times over what you would pay from Amazon. For the very same tool......

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

I normally strip my gearwrench ratchets and ratcheting wrenches after a year or so. I've heard you can warranty them at any Fastenal location but I haven't actually done so. They are very reasonably priced and feel good in your hand. Don't buy their 1/4" chrome swivel sockets, they'll only explode and shoot the pin out. I'm no tool snob, my tools are a mix of Gearwrench, Craftsman, Husky, HF/ Pittsburgh, and Snapon. I actually like the HF Pittsburgh Pro flex head ratchets and would recommend them to anyone. Like KP I buy everything on amazon, and these days, tool purchases are few and far between.

#6 Brimm

Brimm

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

I've got some of there stuff. Got a couple complete sets of the flex head ratchet wrenches, couple sets of sockets also. The wrenches I've got decades on some of them without a failure. Don't think I've ever broken a wrench over a 15mm though. One that surprised me the most was a 12mm I was using for Ford driveshafts. Bent that sucker into a u shape trying to remove a driveshaft bolt. The 1/2 impact sockets are good if you have the space. I've never broken one of those yet. Ratchets and such I have Snappy and Mac these days. I do remote field repair work and can not risk a tool breaking and have to travel how ever far to get a replacement. Have I broken Snappy ratchets? Definitely. Can't do this kinda work without breaking something. Haven't broken a single Mac on yet but I've gotten smarter over the years as to what does what job. That said I have broken shit in ways that amaze tool dealers. I truly feel bad for you guys who seem to have shitty dealers. The ones in my area will just about bend over backwards for a customer. I've been at my Snappy dealers house many a late night getting something replaced when I was in a bind. Matco is almost as accomadating. Cornwell dealer is about same level as the Snappy dealer is. Cornwell sell the gearwrench stuff on his truck and usually takes care of my warranty problems.

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

I have not seen a Cornwell truck since the 1980's. Just this week, we FINALLY had a Mac man show up. After the last one retired in 2010. Our Snap-On man comes in either annually or quarterly. Mostly annually. And when he does, it's usually when we are on break, at lunch, or the shift change.

Our Matco man is a total and complete asshole. He comes in, talks to his chosen few, and leaves. Total time on the premise, 20 minutes tops. Now that the few mechanics that do talk to him have retired, are out on job related injuries, or on vacation, I am wondering why he even bothers to show up.

A couple of years ago, I was working in another mechanics service bay, due to that guy being out on a service call. The Matco man came up to me, thinking I was his regular client. When he got up to about 10 feet of me, and realized I wasn't the usual wrench in that work stall, he turned around and left. Without saying a word.)

ASE master tech

#8 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

I've got a set of the Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches and they're pretty decent. I try not to lean on them too hard, though.

Ratchets I've got some of everyone's and Matco would be the ones I like the most. Too bad we only see a Matco dealer once every few years and once we've bombarded him with warranty stuff he's gone for another few years. Snappy comes in once a week and will talk to me once every three weeks, MAC walks right by me.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users