4 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,124 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

I potentially / might be looking at a friend of a friend's 2008 Toyota Solara next weekend for a brake job. Since I haven't wrenched on a Jap product in well over 10 years, I thought I might just ask for a little advise here.

Looking on the Rock Auto website, it appears that the rear brakes are very similar to a Ford LTD squad car. Where the rear emergency brake shoes are inside the rear rotor hat. My question is if so, do the Toyota's rust up every bit as bad as the Ford's do? Will I more than likely be looking at destroyed / rotted parking brake shoes and associated hardware kits?

Some of our Ford's rotted so bad, we had to cut the rotors off with cut off wheels, because the adjuster star wheels were frozen, and the rear shoes dug into the rotor. Also, any special tools I might be needing?

I am dreading this already, and am leaning towards the word NO !

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,192 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

Should be pretty straight forward, KP. Even in the salt belt of Western NY, I rarely have an issue removing the rotors on a Solara... which is really nothing more than a two door Camry. 

Frozen caliper sliders would be the "soup du jour" on one of those, the rest should be a walk in the park.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,124 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

That's cool. Thank you Mike for that information. It appears that the vehicle in question has been rescheduled for me. I will see it on the day after Thanksgiving. This will give me more than enough time to deal with it and the parts situation.

Last thing I need is to be rushed on a brake job. I dealt with that when putting brakes on my own car. Getting in a hurry usually hits one in the ol' wallet........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 scottimus

scottimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

Listen to Mike, the camry's of that era almost always had frozen slides. I would price in some caliper brackets as well. The ones I have seen frozen were so bad you couldn't free them.

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Should just be good ole bendix brakes. Cake brake job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users