Photo

2009 Rogue. Bumping into the rev / speed limiter?

AWD 50 MPH winds

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

My mother has a 2009 Nissan Rogue. AWD, 4 cylinder. This vehicle is no speed demon, but it has it's difficulties at times. Anyway, we were going to Santa Fe, and bumping into 40-50 mph winds. I had the cruise control set at 78 mph. All of a sudden, the cruise control disengaged. The idiot lights said the cruise control was still on, but the vehicle clearly was loosing speed. In addition to climbing a hill, going into the 40-50 mph winds, the vehicle was clearly straining itself to keep up.

So i thought i would over ride the cruise control, by mashing my foot to the floor. No dice. The vehicle was loosing speed. I was down to 65. So then i turned off the cruise control, and again, mashed my foot to the floor. 65 was it. This vehicle was not going any faster, no matter what i did. At no point did the check engine light come on, nor did the vehicle run poorly. It just would not go past 65.

On our way back home, minus the 40-50 mph winds, i did 80 mph no problem. So what is up? Think i was bumping off the rev limiter? Speed limiter? Does any one know what the parameters are for said limiter to engage? 

Crazy. 

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

That's what that extra set of pedals on the floor are for, KP.

Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#3 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Cat plugged up?

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

I don't think so. It felt like the PCM disengaged the cruise control. We were just about into Santa Fe when all this happened. On our return trip, the winds died down to less than 1/2 they were blowing, and i got the vehicle back up to 80 mph with no problems.

I would suspect that if the cat plugged up, it wouldn't want to accelerate at all, let alone go as fast as it did. As well as light the MIL. Now i do know on the Ford vehicles, when they see an over heat condition, those vehicles will do the same things. However, the coolant gauge was always in the correct range. This has me stumped. 

I was wondering if maybe the fuel pump is getting weak, and couldn't keep up, or if there is a hidden PCM reflash out? Because i looked throughout the owners manual, and found nothing listed for a fuel filter part number or replacement. 

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Auto trans? If the vehicle was shifting frequently, maybe it has a blocked cooler and the trans was getting to hot and it was going into a fail safe.... Maybe the electronic gas pedal (if equipped) is fucking up...? That is a weird issue.. It's not a CVT trans is it?

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Yes, it is indeed the cvt transmission. I am thinking along the same lines, something getting too hot. The only limited experience i have with this type of set up is the Ford Exploder and Taurus. Those vehicles have what is called a PTU? unit. Power Transfer Unit. Naturally, Ford puts theirs right next to the cat converter / exhaust system. This PTU unit holds less than a quart of gear lube, has a temp sensor in it, as well as cooling lines running along the frame rails, up to a front cooler. We change our fluid at 50K, and every one of them looks like Kahlua coming out.

My call to the 800 number got me a dot head………...

ASE master tech

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm thinking you're experiencing something with the CVT... They're notoriously horrible.. Maybe the rubber band stretched... I'd check to see if the correct fluid is in it and it didn't get contaminated...

#8 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

I would think that if the rubber band stretched, the RPM's would have climbed, and i would have felt the transmission slipping. This wasn't the case. It felt to me that the thing just wouldn't go any faster, and started to lose speed. Both in the speed department, and the RPM department. I also thought it to be a fuel issue, but usually one feels a sputter, shudder, etc. But i had no other issue with it.

The fluid has never been changed, it doesn't even have 40K on the clock. I don't know what to make of this

ASE master tech

#9 meme

meme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:sure as hell isnt cars.....thats my job

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

sounds like a throttle body issue,or an APP,sensor is shitting the bed.  hence the cruise issue. 

u parked PCM,went to sleep,and liked what it saw on day two.

gotta go stock the milk.

#10 Tool504

Tool504

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Tools

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Karrpilot, I work on Nissans. Came across your post here. Nissan has a TSB relating to this concern. I put it on my google drive if you want to check it out here's the link: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

ASE master magician

#11 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

WOW! It looks like KP is going to be quite busy on the weekend, coming soon. Thanks for the very detailed bulletin, Tool504. I guess this isn't an isolated problem.

BTW, I'm running a special on my famous "FOR SALE" signs this week, KP.....

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#12 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

No, this is a job best left to the dealer. I thought this was just going to be possibly a simple PCM reflash. Not major surgery. However, I do sometimes have friends in low places. Hard to imagine, eh? They are supposed to fix it later this month when she comes into town. Under the powertrain warranty Nissan has.

So if this doesn't fix it, I might just have to take you up on that offer, Salty.)

ASE master tech

#13 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Karrpilot, I work on Nissans. Came across your post here. Nissan has a TSB relating to this concern. I put it on my google drive if you want to check it out here's the link: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

I so knew it was a CVT problem. I still got it bitches!

#14 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, you still got it, Blazin'.  And you can keep it away from me!

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#15 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

An update. Seems the dealer my mother uses is playing their games. Says that they have to do the TSB in stages. WTF? It's in black and white. How about giving her a loaner / rental, doing the job 100%, and calling her when it's done?

So she goes in this week, and the first stage, she has to sit there in the waiting room for 1.5 hours while they do whatever they need to, then retest it.

Sounds like the BS I was dealing with at my local Ford store. They only wanted to do 1/2 of a TSB to see it that would fix the problem I was having with a Mustang. Only Ford customer service is worse. I ended up doing that job myself, complete, in my driveway.

ASE master tech

#16 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

That's our "new breed" of automotive technicians, KP. When they come in to the dealer, with their sheepskins (Graduates, even) the first thing the dealer has to do is make sure they speak English, and then teach them how to read. Once that's over, they need a whole day to read the TSB. The "first stage" (1.5 hours) was for the tech to go out into the lot, and find the car. Fortunately, for your Mother, they don't have to do come-backs (they pass them on to "the old guy" over in the corner). If they had to do their own screw-ups, a lot of cars would never get worked on....or ever leave the dealer. Welcome to the other side of the counter, KP!
Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#17 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

You got that right. Yes, they made her wait for the 1.5 hours, to see if the TSB I gave them applied. What do you know? It did! Imagine that? Now she has to wait for 2 weeks, until the parts order shows up. I asked her if the next time, she will get a loaner / rental. Nope. She has to drive there, drop off her vehicle, a porter will take her home, and supposedly, pick her back up at the end of the day when her car is ready.

I am SO tired of all the BS I am getting lately. At any dealership. Last year, I did the diagnosis on a Fusion hybrid. I told them the underhood battery was junk. NOT the hybrid battery. I take the vehicle over there, only to have the idiot retard service advisor tell me that they had to charge and retest the battery first. HELLO! McFly, didn't you think I already did that prior to driving over? I am at a government fleet garage. You think a fleet of over 200 vehicle, plus equipment, might somewhere have a battery charger / tester on site?

2 days later, I get the vehicle back with a new battery. Great customer service I am receiving.

ASE master tech

#18 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Stealership games.... Everytime I try to delegate a recall, they claim to be 2 weeks out... BULLSHIT. Nobody goes to a stealership for retail work... Must have a shit load of warranty on their hands.

#19 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Get this. Last year, I took a Chrysler mini van in for a recall after lunch. I know I got there before 1:00 pm. Anyway, I was told to come back the next day, and earlier. They didn't do recalls that late in the day.

Late in the day? 1:00 pm is late? For a recall that only flagged out @ 0.8 hour? I looked down into the service bays, and only counted 2-3 other cars. In a shop that had around 20 bays, along with a Quick Lube.

Then the service advisor asked me for a job. If you can't get my ride serviced, and make me come back the next day, let's see if I get you a job. I will get right on that..........

ASE master tech

#20 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

An update. My mother's vehicle was just repaired with this TSB last week. Supposedly. We will find out in September when I go out there on vacation. After I arrive, we plan on a trip from Colorado up in to Wyoming, to visit her sister. That long of a trip up through the mountains should either confirm or deny the success of said TSB.

She had to be at the dealer right when it opened, then they drove her home. Later in that same day, when it was done, they picked her up, came back to the store, and gave her back her repaired vehicle. I guess a free loaner / rental was too much to ask for.

I posted this issue back in April. It is now July. Wonderful customer service.

ASE master tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users