Photo

easier way to remove shocks from nissan pathfinder?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Some time in the past, I was doing a shock change for a customer and the nut that spins on the top of the threaded shock tower was in a very difficult to access location above and around the strut tower. To access the rear shock tower nut, you have to emulate a Kung Fuu crane style hand position just to get a wrench onto the nut, and a ellen wrench to hold it. It was a painfully slow way to remove the nut and could not hold both the nut and ellen wrench at the same time. There was no room for both hands to do this. So instead, I used my cut off grinder to cut the strut but ended up getting strut oil squirting out of it and onto the customers driveway opps ;) Anyway, is there a easier way to get that nut loose without making a oily mess happen? Is there a way to drain the oil before it squirts out all over the place if I cut it again? Sorry, do not have a Nissan pathfinder to look at.

#2 dmullenax

dmullenax

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

I've had to put the wrench on top, then go underneath and turn the shaft with a pair of vise grips.

#3 rrob311

rrob311

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

if you can get a straight shot at the nut buy a real air hammer and a long chisel and cut the nut in half. Very easy with the proper air hammer. Nut splitter comes to mind as well. If you are dealing with non rusted parts a low profile 1/4" thru ratchet with sockets works once you crack it loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users