• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blucobra03

blucobra03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

I have a 95 Sentra with the 1.6 L engine and lately there is more noise than usual coming from the engine. It appears to be coming from the side where the timing chains are located. I took it to a local auto mechanic who listened to it and told me it sounded like it could be the timing chains. It isn't bad, but you can definitely notice a difference from when I bought the car at 68,000 miles. The previous owner was the original owner and swears the car was taken good care of and the oil changed regularly every 3-5K miles. The engine now has 126,000 miles on it and as far as I know these are the original chains. I am wondering if the noise could be the valve clearances. Is there any way for someone to determine more definitively whether it is valve noise or timing chains ? Any help would be appreciated guys. As always, thanks !!

96 Mustang GT, Mild Mods - Sold
07 Navigator L
03 Lexus ES300 - The lady of the house's car
12 Mustang GT, 6 spd, 3.73 axle - SOLD

15 Mustang GT, Ruby Red, Auto and all options

#2 austintech

austintech

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

more than likely its the chain guides, especially the upper one. there should be a tsb or updated part call your local nissan parts dept. had plenty of these come in for the same poblem, pulled the upper timing cover inspected would always find upper guide worn and chain slapping it. some people would just take off upper guide and put cover back on, but I'd rather fix it right and replace all guides and reseal cover they like to leak anyway. hope I helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users