03 mazda b4000 4.0 4x4 temp gauge stuck on high poor running

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bignate

bignate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:god,working on cars, and s10 v8 trucks,,and im sorta addicted to tools

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

hey guys working on my grandpas truck it is a 03 mazda b400 4.0 4x4 automatic. no major issues ever replaced the trans with a reman this past summer it has just over 150k on the clock..

he called the other day and said he went to start it up and before even cranking it the temp gauge spiked beyond the "H" on the dash and wouldnt drop down at all. he smacked the dash a few times and started the truck nothing changed so he got a mile down the road and the truck had no power at all and didnt want to run so he brought it home and called me.  checked it out today and the gauge is still "stuck" and seems to be no power. no codes in the system so i ran a KOEO test and it showed a code for engine coolant temp sensor out of range for test, and also trans fluid temp sensor out of range. im beyond stumped on this for now it was the last car of the weekend before heading back to work so i decided to save it for later haha. ive never had a temp sensor cause this kind of driveability problem but it is a ford product so anything is possible. also when i got over there today the battery was dead so i charged it for a bit but didnt think that would have much bearing on it but figured id mention it. thanks for your help in advance

it doesnt matter what it is just build it and drive it-- Ed "big daddy" Roth
fate rarely calls on us at a moment of our choosing--"optimus prime" transformers movie

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Some 2001-2003 Trucks may show an incorrect temperature gauge reading showing 3/4 or above. This may be caused by a poor connection at the woven ground strap between the firewall mounted windshield wiper motor and the bolt near the left rear cylinder head. 1. Verify customer concern. 2. Follow workshop manual procedure for Incorrect Temperature Gauge indication (section 09-01G). 3. If gauge reading is still reading incorrectly, check the woven wire ground strap between the firewall mounted windshield wiper motor and the bolt near the rear of the cylinder head (3.0L N 4.0L V6 engines near the left rear cylinder head) for proper contact. 4. Verify repair.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

According to the service manual, the CHT (Cylinder Head Temp sensor) is a dual sensor. Meaning, it provides an imput to both the guage in the dash, as well as the reading back to the PCM. Back in the day, Ford used to use 2 sensors. One for the guage, and the other one for the PCM.

That being said, if the sensor has gone bad, and the PCM thinks the engine is overheating, it puts the vehicle into a limp home mode. Hense why the guage is pegged and the truck runs poorly. Also 2, Ford has had a rash of those thermostats going bad as well. But if the vehicle sits over night, you go out to it and the guage is still pegged, a thermostat ain't causing it.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 bignate

bignate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:god,working on cars, and s10 v8 trucks,,and im sorta addicted to tools

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

i thought it was kinda acting like limp i mode but didnt know if that coolant emp sensor had any bearing on that kicking on makes sense. is that one of the 2 temp sensors on the plastic thermostat housing or is it actually in the head? anyone know location please??

fate rarely calls on us at a moment of our choosing--"optimus prime" transformers movie

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Check that ground strap?

#6 bignate

bignate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

voltmeter read battery voltage at the wiper motor ground connector under next to the nut and where the braid is crimped scraped it clean and checked. didn't check at the head it was 20* out and I had other things to get done figured I'd get the sensor and put it in and check the ground while I had myself buried in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users