3 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

A friend of mine was asking me about her daughter's Izuzu Axium. Supposedly this thing is eating up front brakes. More than likely due to the fact that the rear brakes are not working. So she had the rear brakes done, and now it has all sorts of noises. Obviously, they either screwed this up, or used cheap, Auto Zone garbage.

Anyway, my question is are there TSB's out there regarding brakes on this vehicle? As well as is this thing a bastard ride, and something I don't want to deal with? I have worked on some foreign junks back in the day, and brakes seem to be a thing best left to the American makers. With the exception of the Chevettes and Fieros..........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

I'm probably of no help on this even though I've been for the most part an import mechanic. It's been a while since I've worked on an Isuzu but I vaguely remember poring through TSBs on them in the past and nothing about brakes come to mind.

Assuming the young lady does not have an ON/OFF brake foot and the calipers aren't hanging up on the sliders i wonder if this is one of those era of cars which were just flat prone to brake issues. Back in the 80s Subaru had one hell of a time with the brakes on their cars. Short life, vibration, noises, you name it.

You could install new pads, new rotors, new calipers, do everything by the book, and some short months later the brakes would be acting up again. I'm reasonably certain this was all caused by the design of the yoke that held the calipers. Until that redesign the brakes would last forever on them. Eventually the yokes were redesigned again and the issues cleared up.

#3 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Good luck finding parts. Neither Rock Auto or Vato zone show that vehicle in their online catalog.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

I have decided to bail out on this one. The Axium was only built from 2002-2004. It's pretty much more of an orphan than my Pontiac. Not only that, but I can not access that junk from my government fleet account. Seems that Isuzu built this junk just for themselves, and nothing else on that platform.

Not only that, but I came across a serious frame rot recall, as well as dozens of people in other online forums complaining about the very same brake issues. Me thinks this ride needs a new home. As in my favorite junkyard.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users