911 oil leak, what did I expect??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikes911

mikes911

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

My 3.2 911 is leaking from the valve head cover, only on the passenger side I have replaced the gasket, twice, last time using the thicker type. Correct torque and sequence were used. The leak seems to be from nuts so oil must be from the bolts rather than the head seal? What is done during a "reseal" - Is this what I need?

#2 asphaltgambler

asphaltgambler

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

My 3.2 911 is leaking from the valve head cover, only on the passenger side

I have replaced the gasket, twice, last time using the thicker type. Correct torque and sequence were used.

The leak seems to be from nuts so oil must be from the bolts rather than the head seal?

What is done during a "reseal" - Is this what I need?

Is it the upper or lower cover? Either one, but primarily the lower ones are subject to warpage from exhaust heat. If it is the lower you should upgrade to the turbo style or one of the aftermarket billet units that are stiffer and stronger

#3 reimontero

reimontero

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

I have replaced the gasket, twice, last time using the thicker type. Correct torque and sequence were used.

The leak seems to be from nuts so oil must be from the bolts rather than the head seal?

It could be a front crank seal. Heres a good article about oil leaks problem. Maybe it can help you.

http://www.pelicanpa...1_oil_leaks.htm

#4 mikes911

mikes911

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

It could be a front crank seal. Heres a good article about oil leaks problem. Maybe it can help you.

http://www.pelicanpa...1_oil_leaks.htm

Very good link, I will need to save up some funds to do a pull...

#5 mikes911

mikes911

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

Is it the upper or lower cover? Either one, but primarily the lower ones are subject to warpage from exhaust heat. If it is the lower you should upgrade to the turbo style or one of the aftermarket billet units that are stiffer and stronger

The turbo style covers were standard on late 911's. mine is one of the very last to be sold. 964's were offered from late 1989 on.
The leak is from the bolts not the edge seal.

#6 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Did you buy the valve cover kit from a jober or the dealership?

I know 911s can leak like a sieve and have worked on them.

#7 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Have you taken a straight edge to the cover? I'm surprised by how often these covers turn up bent/warped. I ground one down earlier this week to make it seal. Are you using a sealant with the gasket, by the way?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users