• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 denny seifried

denny seifried

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

I gave my son my 03 Explorer, which is a XLT with the 4.6 V8. It probably has about 160K on the odometer, currently. He told me he is having some power steering issues with it. It is making some pump whine; however, the fluid-level is not below the minimum line on the pump fluid reservoir.

It also wants to "pulsate" the steering wheel, when going around a corner.

He is going to get some fluid and bring it up to the full mark.

Does this sound like the start of issue with the pump or the rack............or both?

No pressure test, yet.

As always, thanks so much for your great information.

Denver D. Seifried
Adjunct Trombone Professor-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,126 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Was this vehicle recently up on a hoist getting an inspection done or brakes replaced? The reason I ask is that Ford vehicles back in that vintage were susceptible to having air induced into the power steering system if the front wheels were manually turned from side to side with the engine shut off.

If that is indeed the case, a manual air bleed out of the power steering system using a hand held vacuum pump might be all that needs to be done.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 denny seifried

denny seifried

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Karrpilot.............It has not been hoisted, recently. Some further info from my son. It seems to be leaving a little puddle of PS fluid on his driveway. I guess it could be a boot seal on the rack or a power steering high or low pressure hose blowing. Is there anything involved with the PS pump which could be leaking like a shaft seal? 

I've been a little short on time to really look into the exact spot where it is leaking. I'll try to give more details when I get a first-hand look at it. Right now, I am giving you 2nd hand info from my son.

Appreciate your help, as always.

Denver D. Seifried

#4 denny seifried

denny seifried

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

I talked to my son this morning and there is a small hole in the high pressure line, down close to the rack. Fittings down in that area are badly corroded; as, this Explorer is a "rust-belt" car. Can you get at the fittings on both ends of the hose without a lot of removal of other systems?

I saw a You Tube where one mechanic actually cut the tubing down by the rack-fitting. The fitting nut was frozen to the tubing and wouldn't rotate on the tubing. Comes out easily after line is cut and a socket applied to tubing nut.

Hope we can get the hose out.

Denver D. Seifried

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,126 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

They do get ugly. We run into the same thing here in the fleet. An air saw or a saws all does come in handy.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users