• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roger Blose

Roger Blose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

With all of these Ecosoot engines out there, has anyone come up with a way to clean out the carbon build up on the intake valves short of pulling the heads to manually clean the crud off?  I am amazed to see so many sooty tail pipes in parking lots with all of the DI cars on the roads and not just Fords!

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,076 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Back in the 1980's, I saw a training video on this very subject. Some company came up with a devise quite similar to a sand blaster. Only this one used walnut shells instead. The intake manifold had to come off of the problem vehicle, and the crankshaft manually rotated to insure that the intake valve was fully closed. With the intake valve closed, the machine would set down in the intake port and blast away, as the vacuum portion of the tool sucked back the remains of the walnut shells and carbon build up.

So after one cleaned up the first cylinder, than on to the next one. Pretty slick tool if you ask me. The only downfall I saw with it was that it was time consuming, and you had to bloody make sure the intake valve was fully closed prior to using it. But it sure as hell beat having to tear off a cylinder head or 2 just to clean up the valves.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users