#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

2007 F-150, 4.2 V6, 141K Miles

This is my truck, of course. I flushed and filled the coolant system at 98K miles with ZEREX G-05 and distilled water.

This time I'm having a friend do this procedure, plus replace the t-stat. I have all of the parts, coolant, and distilled water. I can't do it. If I get caught doing ANY kind of mechanical work the SS will take my SSDI away from me (that I worked 33 years for).

Q?-How many labor hours does Ford charge for these 2 procedures?

And, PLEASE don't erase this thread again. Thank You!   :) 

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,152 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

I don't have access to the labor manuals any more, but my armchair guess here would be .8-1.0 for the thermostat. The coolant flush operation is usually on a menu priced item. What the tech would get paid is another story..........

However, me personally, would be also looking towards changing out the water pump with that mileage. If it has never been done before. Along with a fan belt and a through inspection of the tensioner and idler pulleys. As well as a look see at the fan and fan clutch units.

When I had the timing chain cover off my Pontiac last year, it got a new water pump, tensioner, and coolant elbows. I don't like doing things over again. Especially when I have the parts off and in my hands.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

KP, the tensioner, belt, and idler pulley were changed at 120K miles. This is my 3rd 4.2 V6 and the other 2 were sold with over 200K miles on the factory WP. One is still going strong to this day! The other one was totaled about 7 years ago with 230K miles. So, I think this WP is good for now.

KNOCK ON WOOD!   :blink: 

NRA Life Member

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,152 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

That's incredible! A water pump going that long. Amazing. Even though mine wasn't leaking @ 167K, it was just starting to show signs of seepage. So I replaced it.

I ordered up everything, including the timing chain, gear set, and guide rail. To my amazement, all of those items were still tight. And being that my ride has a reverse rotating balance shaft, along with a hold down bolt bigger than what I had at the house, I didn't replace any of it.

I figured that to be an operation best done with the engine out, and on a stand. Or done by the next owner.)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

KP, my son owns a 1996 Toyota Corolla with the 1.8 engine. It had 248K miles on it when I FINALLY convinced him to replace the ORIGINAL FACTORY INSTALLED timing belt, tensioner, wp, t-stat, and ALL of the drive belts! We knew the original owners before I bought it from them for him and they had not replaced ANY of the aforementioned items!

My dad sold a 1993 GMC Extra Cab with the original 350 in it with the factory wp, t-stat, a/c, etc.I have seen A LOT of vehicles with factory installed wp's, and the other accessories still going strong. Not ALL of them leak, or need to be replaced at low miles. Maybe the water is very hard where you live. That's why I always use distilled water,EVERY TIME!

NRA Life Member

#6 ExLexusTech

ExLexusTech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:About sick of this shit.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

2.1 hours to service and test cooling system. .8 hours to replace thermostat. Surprised a ford pays that good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users