#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

1996 Corolla DX,1.8,Auto,188K miles

My sons Corolla's inner and outer tie rod ends are trashed (wore out)! He's in FL and i'm in La. He took it to a local dealer and 2 tire stores and they all said the same thing. His friends father is a fleet mechanic for Caterpillar and will be doing the job.He asked me to post the following Q?s;

Are there any auto parts stores brands that are recommended over others?

Does the rack need to be removed?

Are there any special tools required?

Any advice,tips,or input is greatly appreciated.

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

1996 Corolla DX,1.8,Auto,188K miles

My sons Corolla's inner and outer tie rod ends are trashed (wore out)! He's in FL and i'm in La. He took it to a local dealer and 2 tire stores and they all said the same thing. His friends father is a fleet mechanic for Caterpillar and will be doing the job.He asked me to post the following Q?s;

Are there any auto parts stores brands that are recommended over others?

Does the rack need to be removed?

Are there any special tools required?

Any advice,tips,or input is greatly appreciated.

-Get OEM parts. Inner tie rod ends, boots and clamps. Lock nuts and outer tie rod ends.

-No

-supposedly an inner the rod end tool, but I've used a pipe wrench many times. You can rent a inner tie rod tool set from autozone.

My advice is to price out a Reman rack. With that mileage I'm sure the seals are leaking/worn or are ready to go. You could also take the rack out and send it to an axle/steering gear rebuilder. A car that old, it can't be too expensive. If you go the route of replacing the rack, also replace the pressure line after thoroughly flushing the system. I'd also recommend replacing the remote reservoir, as they have a screen in them that plug up.

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

-Get OEM parts. Inner tie rod ends, boots and clamps. Lock nuts and outer tie rod ends.

-No

-supposedly an inner the rod end tool, but I've used a pipe wrench many times. You can rent a inner tie rod tool set from autozone.

My advice is to price out a Reman rack. With that mileage I'm sure the seals are leaking/worn or are ready to go. You could also take the rack out and send it to an axle/steering gear rebuilder. A car that old, it can't be too expensive. If you go the route of replacing the rack, also replace the pressure line after thoroughly flushing the system. I'd also recommend replacing the remote reservoir, as they have a screen in them that plug up.

I think it was the return line I replaced about 3 years ago,and flushed the system. It was a PITA to replace in the driveway! :blink:
The car does have a lot of miles,90% highway.The elderly couple that owned it prior to him took great care of it,with ALL reciepts to prove it. The CVs were replaced at 155K along with mounts, struts,and shocks.
The lowest quote he got was $500 even,including alignment and tax.The highest quote was $772 plus tax and alignment at a Toyota dealer! :o

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users