Honda Accord head gasket

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tdowell

tdowell

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

I'm a friend of Marks, He suggested I check here to get information on an 88 Honda Accord motor with a blown head gasket. I haven't pulled the head yet, but I know its blown, are these worth fixing or should I replace the motor, I'm wondering about block or head damage, what to look for and if just replacing the motor would be better. I've found a great deal on a 86000 mile engine so let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Tom

#2 tdowell

tdowell

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Oh, and its a 2.0 carb engine with auto trans.

#3 greg's garage

greg's garage

STAFF

• Staff
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:All motor sports ,
    Cars,beer,women,sex,
    and rock and roll

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

How many miles is on it. does the engine still run smooth any knock from below. First thing i would do is remove the head and inspect , Head in good shape ,block, cylinders badly worn or not . these engines are very good, never had a problem when it comes to changing the head gaskets . Would advice to replace the water pump, timing belt ,seals ,tensioner, etc. do a vavle job and adjust valve cold . :thumbsup: ......Greg.
Indy shop owner!

LET US
GO FORWARD
TOGETHER
Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

Life at its best, Dominican Republic.

With determination and will, you can do it.

#4 tdowell

tdowell

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

The engine has about 138k on it, it runs very strong and there's no out of the ordinary ticking tapping, or knocking. Its been sitting for the better part of four years though, thatís one thing the worries me about it. And I know it got hot when the gasket blew. My biggest concern is about damage from the overheating, (Head/block). I'll see if I can get the head off of it, I've never done engine work on a Honda before, is there anything I should watch out for? You help is greatly appreciated!. Tom

#5 greg's garage

greg's garage

STAFF

• Staff
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:All motor sports ,
    Cars,beer,women,sex,
    and rock and roll

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

No its a simple and easy job . but you could get Mark to print you out the job description to read though before starting . When you get the head off check cylinder walls for wear, 138k is that miles or Km if its miles replace with the 86K engine , :thumbsup: ....Greg.
Indy shop owner!

LET US
GO FORWARD
TOGETHER
Winston Churchill

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

Life at its best, Dominican Republic.

With determination and will, you can do it.

#6 Beechkid

Beechkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

Something to consider as an option, there are companies who import used engines (typically 30 to 40K miles), & sell them with warranty (3 yr/36K) for $400 to $600.....
one company in SoCal is...
Wantanabe Corporation
1837 W. Artesia Blvd
Gardena, CA
310-763-6420
Jeff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users