• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Do we still have any Ford techs here or have you all left for greener pastures?

Warren Johnson, Administrator
Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#2 Cooters94

Cooters94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

Not at a dealer, but i mostly work on Fords for a county municipality. A few chevys and a bunch of shitty Dodges.

#3 Ron W.

Ron W.

STAFF

• Staff
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Here every day just not sure why,

If you can do no good at least do no harm

Working in automotive since 1973, Ford from June of 1992 to October 2006
EX-Ford dealership employee.

#4 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

Ron good to see you still around.

I have a feeling that maybe these boards will light up again.

Ford is cutting labor times again. I thought I would swing by and see what is happaning.

Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#5 ExLexusTech

ExLexusTech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:About sick of this shit.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Where are the bastards cutting the times? 

#6 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

It is starting with the door latch recalls. an escape 16S30 recall started at 2.9 then it was cust to 2.0 and now it is cut to 1.4. This is just one example of it There are several more and the Ford techs are in an uproare right now.

Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#7 ExLexusTech

ExLexusTech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:About sick of this shit.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

I replaced the third door latch on a Ranger awhile back. Paid .3. I guess when it was under warranty the tech paid the customer to replace it. 

#8 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

I am still here. If Ford cuts their times any more, pretty soon the techs will have to pay Ford. Our fleet is mostly Fords with the government. We do have a small batch of GM products, and of course, those nasty dreaded pentastar of death products. Along with International Harvester, Freight Liners, Case loaders, and other various odd ball items for us to wrench.

Like the Must-Be-Shitty electric car. I feel safer in a golf cart.........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#9 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Still here. Not a ford tech but still a victim of flat rape.

Warren - Do you have any idea who owns this site now?

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#10 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

Mike as far as I know Mark still owns it. We do keep in touch from time to time.

I did send him the info on the time cuts.

I would like to see This board light up again.

I am no longer a Flate rate tech but I still work at a dealer as a Warranty admin. I figured I would do what i could to get the Techs what they deserve from Ford.

Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#11 FMCSMT

FMCSMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Still here.

Hint: Rusty DPS6 Clutch, Actuators, Sleeve, Throwout - needs it all.

Yep, this me. LOL

#12 FMCSMT

FMCSMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

From what I understand, Ford has adopted what is called "directed time" for every TSB and Recall. What this means is Ford basically gives you a tool list of what is required to do the job if it is a TSB or Recall. That way, they assume that the tech does not have to walk back and forth from the vehicle to his/her toolbox and saves Ford from paying the time.

Ford has released 2 videos on this topic. The first video explains directed time and it also mentions that with the implementations of cordless tools nowadays, vehicles are being serviced faster. So the tech's investment is now working against the tech instead of for the tech.

The real kicker that has everyone's heads rolling is in the first video, the guy says basically by reducing the labor time for these latch recalls, it frees up time for the tech to do retail work.

The second video goes on to show a tech doing the latch recall. The video is clearly edited but the time is not. You can see this right on the screen. On 1 door panel, one of the door panel clips remains in the door and does not come out with the panel like it should. The tech in the video overlooks this and slams the door panel back on. Near the end of the video, the same tech is shown struggling to install 1 screw behind a reflector. He is struggling because if you look closer in earlier in the video, the clip that is supposed hold the screw has fallen out and on to the floor. The tech tries several times to get the screw to bite and even changes torx bits. Finally, he gives up and just puts the reflector over the unfastened screw and ships the vehicle.

It is beyond me why Ford would publish such videos. The tech shortage will continue and who knows what else will result. I am told that the time on Focus 4 door latch recall has been reduced from 2.7 to 1.5. The Fusion and Fiesta have been reduced from 3.1 to 1.5.

#13 Warren Johnson

Warren Johnson

ADMINISTRATOR

• Staff
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

FMCSMT

You nailed it. The other thing they are telling us in the first video is that do to the use of power tools the time can be reduced.

The people that were here at the begining of this site know that the times were already cut in 1999 do to the use of power tools. I guess the new power tools are better than the old ones That is the only reason they could cut the tiems twice for the same reason.

This is not just Recals and TSBs. They also show a breakdown of a steering gear replacement. The time is cut 0.9 and they claim 25 min. of that is do to the use of power tools.

Senior Master Technician
ASE Master Technician

#14 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Free up the tech to do retail work? What planet did these new Ford idiots come from? After I got done with one warranty diesel, I was slammed with another one. If I even so much as attempted to upsell non warranty work, I got the same old spiel. My regular mechanic can / will do the work. Just do the warranty repairs.

I guess I must be old school regarding these new battery operated tools and impacts. Meaning, I don't have or use any. The air hose reel is right over and above my head. No batteries to recharge or replace, and rarely does the compressor go down. If and when it does, we call building maintenance. They either fix it right on the spot, or bring in a portable air compressor. Our lift lock releases depend upon this.

Ford said that over 20 years ago they lost + 85% of their customers after the warranties were up. Well, if some kid is slamming substandard work out the door, this is the end result. If a customer finds piss poor workmanship and or has to make multiple repair visits to get his ride fixed correctly when it's under warranty, do any of you think he's going back as a paying customer?

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#15 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

Would love to see the aforementioned video, based upon the description. Is that even real?

#16 v8ranger

v8ranger

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars. Classic cars

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

I am . Have not been on FRT in at least a year.  Still fighting the tough fight at Ford. Wish I wasn't most days!

Ford senior master tech
ASE master tech

#17 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Still fighting Ford? Trust me, that's like fighting city hall. You will not win. I remember having to go above and beyond the call of duty to get their recalls done. Then spending more time on the telephone explaining to some idiot what I did, why I did it, and why I am justified in getting paid more money and time than the recall spelled out. Mostly I just wasted my time. But I knew no one else under the roof of the dealership would have done this for me. I had to at least try.

Now with Ford's generous labor times, I can see why there is a shortage of decent techs today. 0.3 for any reflash. Who will work for that? No road test time, no diagnosis time, just flash the vehicle and ship it. But wait ! You need to do that free multi point inspection. Today I did a reflash. It took longer for the computer to boot up, access the Ford site, update the IDS and VCM modules, than what a Ford TSB would pay for said flash alone. Luckily I am paid hourly.

No multi point inspection this visit. That can wait for the next LOF.)

ASE master tech

#18 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

All the years of reading the war stories here at FRT and I'm amazed anyone still works for a dealer. 

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#19 dustychicken

dustychicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, machines, girls, music.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

I'm still here, still working for the same dealer.  I also managed to land a gig teaching automotive at my old college.  Hoping to make a lateral move into that full time in the next few years, and possibly create a class around ethics, philosophy, and general daily workings of being a tech.

Also putting feelers out at other dealers, seeing what the local market is like.  Some local dealers are offering $45/ / FRH for trans techs, and there are rumblings at my shop about defection and work stoppage because we're the lowest paid in the county.  Even our warranty administrator is getting pissed.

We'll see what happens.

#20 SilverBolt

SilverBolt

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Classic Ford cars.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Can't believe I've been  here about 12 years. The first few years to get advice and then later to try and help others. I don't post much because there is too much bashing at times and I'm too old for that and don't want to be involved in it. As others have said Ford has cut labor times on the 16S30 side door latch recalls. With that being said all our techs do them in under the time they get paid for which averages about 1.4 depending on the model. Our best tech does them in .8 so he loved it when Ford paid him 3.1. Again I'm not getting into an argument over it but that's how it is at our dealership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users