Chicago area mechanics going on strike

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

A story I read yesterday said they were still at it, but......

Of course the story had the usual load of double-talking BS from the New Car Dealers Committee rep named Bilek. To quote from the article....

Bilek disputed mechanics view of manufacturer guidelines on how long it should take to do a particular repair.

If the mechanics gets the job done sooner than the industry standards, then they get full credit for the so-called book time.

"If they work 40 hours. yet did jobs that should have taken longer times then they could earn 50 or 60 book hours and literally make even more money", Bilek said.

Note this slimy sack of shit failed to mention to the reporter that mechanics are often coerced into doing many things for free and many of those "book time" jobs are flat impossible to perform in the time allowed.

And of course the naive reporter laps it all up and reports it as is without considering (as Paul Harvey would say...) "the rest of the story".

#42 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

An update today. The latest, according to the Chicago Tribune, was that some dealers have settled with their own mechanics. Officially, 701 is still out on strike. But not all of them. Supposedly, 701 is suing the dealers that have gone against said strike, and have filed unfair labor practices with the national labor relations board. Let's see how far that goes.......

So this pretty much confirms what rumors I heard prior. Which does not surprise me one bit. Another thing I heard was that 701 had wanted a 40 hour work week guarantee, the dealers countered with 35, and there it stands. When and if the next vote is, that information I do not have.

Big deal. A whole whopping 35 hours. And just how many actual clock hours will a wrench be under the roof, before he's allowed to go home?

Might just as well move in.............

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#43 dustychicken

dustychicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, machines, girls, music.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Looks like the strike's over, with the NCDC caving to all but one demand.

http://www.chicagotr...0917-story.html

Now we have to see how the dealers decide to manipulate this contract.

#44 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

They got screwed. I knew this would happen. The guarantee only went up 2 hours. Big deal. I am not sure about the kind and amount of the raises they got, but I am sure the stealerships will take back whatever the striking mechanics got in some other way. Upping the uniform cleanings fees, making them work even longer hours, cutting / reducing the health plan, you name it. No owner is about to cave in and go down without a fight.

None of the core issues were addressed. Or if they were, they were shot down. Free inspections, not getting paid for road tests, split shifts, extended work hours, are still a part of the game. So much for trying to make up for that unapplied lost time. Which equals lost wages, as we all know and love.

My last shop told us they were not going to pay for road tests, time on the hotline, looking up information on the computers, ASE reimbursement, etc. How about wasted time when the parts department screws up, is helping other techs, on the phones, etc? All that is part and parcel of being a tech today. Don't like it? Find another profession.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#45 ojustracing

ojustracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Road Racing, Tire Rack One Lap Of America

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

Saw a breakdown on a FB site that had what they got.  Saw $33.50hr at 35 hours,    35hr guarantee of $1136.00.  had pay increases at certain flag hours.  Dont know what they had before but didn't look anything special for Big city living.   

Cough Cough!!!!! 31 Years of turning wrenches. Union Fleet Mechanic

#46 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

I agree with karrpilot. By the time the smoke all clears any extra dollar the mechanics got will vanish twice over. GIve a penny, take two....

I note the one Cadillac dealer is going to keep the scabs it hired.

#47 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Latest news I have heard is that the dealers are being complete pricks now to their mechanics. Many stores have reduced their staffing levels. They told their mechanics to take home any radios, personal refrigerators, and anything else not associated with doing their jobs and repairing the customers vehicles.

Along with NO work being done without an RO being written, and the mechanics can not work on their own vehicles. Even after hours.

I also read that the union was boasting that they won out on this contract. Not in my eyes they didn't..........

ASE master tech

#48 Cooters94

Cooters94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

i'm sorry, no music and i don't work. period. 

#49 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

$33.50/FRH isn't bad, it's a little more than we're getting here in NJ (probably similar or slightly higher cost of living). But a 36 hour guarantee still sucks. The biggest problem is the general public has absolutely no idea how flat rate works, or that it's even possible to work for free. If they did, I think it would be quite the scandal. When I try to explain flat rate and its pitfalls, people give me that deer-in-the-headlights look and probably think to themselves "that can't be right, he must not be explaining this properly."

What annoys me is that IBEW electricians, Pipefitters, Elevator constructors, etc. around here are getting nearly $50 an hour. I would have to consistantly make 60 hour weeks to even come close to that.

#50 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Many years ago we (my family...) were visiting my now late parents and somehow or the other the discussion about my job as a mechanic and flat rate pay came up between me and my dad. His mouth dropped and he said are you serious? Serious as cancer. He was a member of the union of aerospace workers and found flat rate hard to comprehend.

He could not believe that mechanics had to work under a situation like flat rate. and was even more appalled at some of the times allotted for specific repairs; and of course the always ornerous warranty times. And even worse in Oklahoma because I've never worked for or heard of a place around here that provided a guarantee of any sort.

It's strictly what you flag. Sink or swim. Usually sink and sink more each year.......

#51 ojustracing

ojustracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Road Racing, Tire Rack One Lap Of America

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Like we all say Flat rate needs to die and nobody understands how it works on the outside.   But what irks me is people saying the cost of living.  I tried moving from a small city 100K+ residents to rural town with the closet city being only 5000 people and my current town  of 500.  Every shop I interviewed with went too the low cost of living as a excuse for low pay.  Well my mortgage, insurance, fuel and groceries cost the same if not more.  5 shops offered me max of 18hr FR. One service manager said name your price $25hr which was what I making and said fine!!! Till the higher ups got to it.  I would of taken a $20hr offer.  I moved later to the area.  But my current job is a Union Job,  great benefits, company supplied tools, 37.5 hr work week.  10% night diff(3-11). Make north of $46+ hr.  Our union contract does not differentiate between small town NY or New York City.  When I worked flat rate the indy shop I had a 40hr guarantee, and per hr increases starting at 35, 45, 50, 55, 60 and 65hrs.  Aprox $25hr to $44hr at 65+.   

Cough Cough!!!!! 31 Years of turning wrenches. Union Fleet Mechanic

#52 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

The latest scoop I have is that a Cadillac store fired at least 6 of their mechanics, and choose to keep their replacement scabs. Yes, the union is taking them to court over this, but if one can afford to run a Cadillac store, one can afford to hire good lawyers. For some strange reason, me thinks those ex employees will not be getting their jobs back. Along with anything else.

I also heard that at this store, the owner is piping lullaby and children's type of music into the service department. Just so he can continue to be even more of an ass than he already was. So the techs in turn are filing grievances at each and every opportunity they can. What a lovely work environment to go to every day. And yes, this is one of the stores I reported that the owner had everyone remove any non essential item that didn't pertain to fixing customers vehicles......

ASE master tech

#53 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

Sounds like they're not going to be satisfied until they're run off every last union member so they can work with a clean slate.

Listening to elevator music all day long would drive me nuts.

#54 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Wow, I normally feel that violence is wrong, but it wouldn't bother me at all if that guy got his ass beat to a bloody pulp and his house burned down.

#55 dustychicken

dustychicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, machines, girls, music.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Play all the elevator music you want around me, I like to play 60s exotica and lounge music for fun.  Hell, I once had to do a wiring harness job on a 3500 tow truck right next to a gas pump that beeped every two seconds.  It became my friend after a while, keeping me company with the beeps.

Musical torture doesn't work too well on me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users