ODDBALL!! 2000 toyota corona premio misfire

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bignate

bignate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:god,working on cars, and s10 v8 trucks,,and im sorta addicted to tools

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

hey guys id apreciate the help on this one. My uncle is in Kenya Africa at my familys mission clinic for 2 months and is having troubles with the car over there..it is a toyota corona premio he said he thinks its a 2000...he is very mechanicly inclined just cant figure this one out..it has no markings to identify the motor but he said they call it a 4A and it is a 4 cylinder with a distributor im gonna guess a 1.8 but im not sure...the car starts and runs fine then after about a hr will begin to miss and occasionally backfire..he has replaced the spark plugs..cleaned the distributor cap and rotor..he also removed and cleaned the distributor said everything looked fine..wires look okay..he had a local mechanic come look at it and he told him to try a new distributor..he pulled the wire off and the plug wire cant make enough spark to arc over to the valve cover which you think it could.. quite a simple diagnostic run thru here but he is 6 hrs from nairobi which is the capitol city and the only place that may have a new or used distributor and new parts he was lucky enough to find the spark plugs in the closest town..he doesnt have any diagnostic tools really..i think he has a voltmeter and a small like 150 piece craftsman kit. Anyone have any thoughts?? I would like to know if he can check resistance on the distributor to see if the coil is bad..also there could be a issue with dirty fuel..never know what you get over there he said he put a new filter in and purged the lines he was gonna pull the injectors out and see if there was any dirt..but im still thinking spark with the running okay until it gets warmed up..thanks in advance
it doesnt matter what it is just build it and drive it-- Ed "big daddy" Roth
fate rarely calls on us at a moment of our choosing--"optimus prime" transformers movie

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Is the ignition module and or coil inside the distributor? Like an old GM HEI was? Along with the pick up sensor? Most times, when i ran into heat related no spark issues, i don't mess around. They ALL get replaced. Now, if the parts require complete dissassembly of a distributor, sometimes it is cheaper to go that route. Replace the whole unit. I have been burned in the past by just replacing a ignition module, and then having the pick up sensor crap out on the next heat cycle.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

How's the timing? Does it have a timing belt? Have him check that out if it does.

#4 bignate

bignate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:god,working on cars, and s10 v8 trucks,,and im sorta addicted to tools

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

from what he is telling me it is like the oldschool gms and i agree replace it all which is more than likely what he will have to do..the parts stores there is more like a warehouse you walk up to a cage hand them your part and 20 minutes to 2hrs later the come back up with your part and the one they think looks like what you need.. completly forgot to ask him to check the chain or belt still not sure what the motor is..i will send him a email and see if he can find out..thansk guys keep it comin!!haha
it doesnt matter what it is just build it and drive it-- Ed "big daddy" Roth
fate rarely calls on us at a moment of our choosing--"optimus prime" transformers movie

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Knowing the poor quality of the fuel you guys have there, I'd be very suspect of a clogged fuel filter, or water in the fuel.
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users