3 replies to this topic

#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Awhile back I posted on here about my nephew getting a 2006 F 150 similar to mine. His parents bought it for him as a graduation gift and to travel to college in. 

Okay, I would appreciate if no one made any jokes at what I'm about to explain. Thank You.

My nephew is an over weight person. He's about 5'9" tall and weighs about 380-400 lbs. I'm thinking this is the problem he's having with his truck. You see, his mother is my sister and she knows that I'm mechanically inclined. So, she called me asking for advice. 

She paid to have new tires, shocks, and an alignment put on his truck about 6-7 months ago. Well, she was riding with him yesterday and noticed when he would sometimes take his hands off of the steering wheel the truck would wander to the right. I asked her in very detail if it would actually pull, or wander. She was very detailed in saying it wandered over a period, like within a 1/4 mile or so. I trust her judgment because she does know about vehicles a little bit, growing up around me. She stated that she asked him how long it had been doing this and he told her ever since they bought the truck for him. 

Okay, here's what I think it is. I think because of him being so big that it's causing the alignment to be thrown off ever so slightly that it's making it wander to the right. I base this theory upon the fact that he had front end work done to it when he first got it, it has new shocks and tires and an alignment, and he stated it has been wandering since he first got it. Is this possible, being he is that big that it CAN cause a perfectly aligned truck front end, to make it wander to the right?

I'm sorry for the long winded post, but I had to get all of the details in for you Ford techs to scope out the problem. Thanks for listening and any advice you give!  :) 

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

As long as it isn't a pull, or wearing tires, I would leave it alone. A slight drift to the right could just be due to road crown.

Also to insure that if a person fell asleep at the wheel, said person would likely end up in a ditch. Instead of oncoming traffic.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

KP, my sister took pics of the front tires, inner and outer. They look normal to me. I told her the same thing, road crown.

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#4 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

You might look at the printout for the alignment and compare the L and R camber specs.

Normally, you want a bit more negative camber on the right side to compensate somewhat for road crown. However, that is not the end all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users