BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

2007 F 150 XL, 4.2 V6, 140K miles

Hello Ford Techs. LTNS. 

Back in June 2017 I had new tires put on my truck. I noticed a vibration in the front end ONLY  at 50-53 MPH. Actually, it's more pronounced at 51 MPH. 

I brought it back to the tire store and they checked the balance on the front tires. They were still balanced ok. So, they switched the front tires from side to side and went ahead and re-balanced the rear tires while I was there. Only 1 tire needed to be re-balanced on the rear.  

So, off I went again. As I approached 50 MPH, here comes the vibration again. I do know this for a fact, that the previous tires NEVER gave me any problems. I had to replace them because they were showing signs of dry rot. They were starting to get cracks in them.

Anyway, I was thinking that if they switch the front tires to the back, back tires to the front, and the vibration stops, it can only mean 1 of 2 things;

1) A bad tire.

2) A bent rim.

Opinions, please?   :blink: 

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,198 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

Do either of the front tires seem to have a ton of balancing weights on them? While it may be balanced in a dynamic sense, it could be out of balance in a static sense and will vibrate all day long. Also, if either tire has excessive runout, it will cause a vibration. I would hope the tire "tech" that mounted & balanced your tires would have watched them as they spun on the balancer, to see if either the tire or rim has runout.

For now, rotate the tires and see what happens.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

Many tire centers buy the cheapest machines and equipment they can, toss them in the corner, and forget about them. Many tire balancers have not been calibrated and or serviced since Bush handed the keys of the Whitehouse to Barry. Only when they refuse to turn on, will anybody actually pay any attention to them.

And of course the staff using said balancers. I once had a guy keep pounding wheel weights on my tires until it zeroed out. Well, I knew that was bloody wrong. Since I got a hell of a deal because I knew the manager, I wasn't going to complain. I ended up taking my car home, removing the wheels, tossed them into the bed of my father's truck, and balanced them all out at work after hours on a machine I knew to be in good working order.

You didn't get a set of Cornell tires from Pep Boys, did you? I once made that mistake. They are Chinese. Made more noise than my old lady when I don't call her after a few days.)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

I agree with rotating the tires to see what happens.

It could be that the balancer is out of calibration. They're supposed to be recalibrated now and then but I've personally never known any of the dealers I worked for to ever check a wheel balancer or alignment rack.

Many years ago a dealer I worked for bought a brand new Snap-On wheel balancer for beau coupe bucks. That POS wasn't even good enough to use as a boat anchor. We kept complaining that a tire could not be balanced with it with readings not even being in the ball park.

The Service Manager and Snap-On rep kept claiming it was fine. The S0 rep finally changed the motherboard in it and the problem got even worse.

One could put a brand new spare tire on it and readings would be all over the map when a tire was spun up.I'm not talking about a 1/2 ounce or whatever. I'm talking about half a pound and in one case during the final shop ruckus over it a mechanic spun a new spare tire from a new car up on it and it showed the tire was 17.5 ounces out of balance. The tire spun smooth as silk so the pound plus was obviously BS.

#5 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

I was waiting on a reply from someone here before I made my next move.

The tire store is open on Sunday and the mgr. said he will balance/rotate them himself. 

Do you think I should have the mgr. re-balance all of the tires? Also, when I move front to back, should I leave the front tires in the position they were when they switched them from side to side?

NRA Life Member

#6 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Let them do a balance/rotate.... who knows, maybe the Manager will catch something the original installer missed. Front to rear is fine for the rotation pattern.

Another thought, too...... what type of wheel do you have?? Are they the typical Ford Truck wheels with the plastic/chrome cover on the outside?? Reason I ask is most guys shove the balancing cone in from the outside of the wheel, and doing it that way on that type of wheel will result in a shake 99% of the time since the plastic/chrome cover is rarely if ever centered. They really need to back cone the wheels and use the finger plate on the outside to be sure it's set up true if they ever expect to balance the wheel correctly.

#7 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

Mike N, these are the wheels on my truck. When I first bought my truck I found all 4 of these wheels with tires and center caps for $300 on the interweb. I removed the tires, transferred all of the TPMS hardware to them, and had new tires installed. They are 17X7.5.

1t4fgo.jpg

NRA Life Member

#8 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

I can't get in to the Ford site today. Ford must be running some system maintenance. However, what I have run into the past is that many times, a FMC vehicle will not play nice with wheels that are not the stock size. So if your ride came with 16 inch wheels, that's pretty much what should stay on it. I don't know why this is, but I have seen it too many times.

And some tire brands just don't want to work. I have had horrible luck with Generals, and their sister brand, Continental. Another 2 brands I stay away from are Hankook and those Chinese tires Cornell that Pep Boys were selling. I found this out by me being cheap..........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#9 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

KP, my truck came with factory steel wheels, 17". And, they are very FUGLY!
I took my truck to the Ford dealership my son works for, yesterday morning. The front end tech drive it and said that one of the tires is out of balance. He said he could have road force balance them for $60, but declined. He suggested that l tell tire not. sure to remove all of the tires, making sure to know where which tire was where. Strip all of the weights and remove any rocks from the treads, and re-balance all of them. Move fronts to back, back to front. Again, he thinks it's an unbalanced tire.

NRA Life Member

#10 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

As long as you are running and using the same sized wheels that came with the vehicle, whether it's a steel or an aluminum rim should not be an issue. Just as long as the wheel isn't bent, has run out, or corrosion on the hub mating surfaces, you should be ok with that. It just might be a shifted belt in a tire, or one with a flat spot. I had both Firestone and BF Goodrich tires do that to me in the past.

My wheels are ugly as sin. 10 years of road salt has taken it's toll. The clearcoat is long gone. Around the spokes looks like either a roadmap, or the face of a muslim broad that got sprayed with acid just for disrespecting or shaming her family. Every other year I have to grind down the corrosion on the inner bead to keep them from leaking air.

I feel the next owner can worry about it. At first I used to get pissed when my low tire light went on. Now I don't. It reminds me that another wheel needs my attention.........)

ASE master tech

#11 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

That's a fairly standard wheel and they shouldn't have any problems balancing them. Now, one more thing to point out is if you look at the pic you posted, you'll notice on the tire, just above the rim there is a line in the rubber, about 1/16" to 1/8" from the rim itself and the line goes all the way around in a circle. Assuming they lubed the beads and rim lips before mounting the tire, you should be able to see that line as being even distance from the rim all the way around. If there's any point that the line seems sunk in towards the rim, the tire got pinched during the mounting process. This will result in runout and a vibration.

#12 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

I took my truck in to the tire shop Sunday. The shop mgr. marked where all of the tires were on the truck. He then removed the tires and stripped ALL of the weights from the tires. Prior to balancing my tires he re-calibrated the balance machine. After balancing all of the tires and adding the required 38 psi of air to each tire, he installed the tires in the same positions on the truck where he had removed them. 

After all was said and done, we went for a ride. We chose different types of roads just to make sure. The truck drove smooth as silk. The vibration is gone. On the interstate I removed my hands from the wheel and it never flinched to either side. I drove it like this for well over 1/3 of a mile before putting my hands back on the steering wheel.

He also stated that when he checked the tire pressure each tire had a different psi in them; 32, 35, 43, and 45.  

Also, he stated there was almost DOUBLE the required weights on each tire! SMH!    :blink: 

NRA Life Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users