5 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

When I do wiring repairs, I use my 30 + year old electric soldering iron / pencil. The guys at work tell me the Smithsonian is looking for it, and want theirs back.) It has been dropped and pieced together countless times, but refuses to die. So I keep it and continue to use it to this very day.

Today I heard just about the craziest thing. One of the guys told me that since it is electric, and has current running through it, that it is possible that in the event I would ever be on an airbag circuit, or one multiplexed to the airbag circuit, I could set off said airbag. They were strongly suggesting I ditch my archaic soldering gun, and get a electric torch type soldering kit instead.

Sure thing. I get stuck under a dash with a mini torch, and set the car on fire. That's better than blowing up a airbag, eh?

Ever hear a thing like this?

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

I can't say that I've ever heard of anything remotely resembling this.

Before buying into it I'd have to see a known example of this ever happening and the actual cause verified.

If they're trying to claim electrical interference then what about all types of electric tools, trouble lights, battery chargers, jumper cables, quick start boxes, and so on???

I can't say I'd feel too comfortable with an open flame inside the car. Not just potential damage to the car but to the person holding it or as in my case; somewhat lengthy hair and a beard.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

I have to redo just about all of our airbag cutout switches. The idiots that install them at the dealers use butt connectors on them and cheap Chinese crimper tools. All it takes is a miniscule amount of resistance, and the light and chimes come on, disabling the airbags.

So I disconnect their end of it, cut out the garbage connectors, and solder and heat shrink everything the way it's supposed to be. Hardwired in. Problem solved. Since I do this with the airbag unplugged, how is it even remotely possible I could set one off? Especially with the vehicle stopped, not moving, and the ignition keys on top of the dash?

I think they were trying to scare me into ditching my electric iron.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#4 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

I can tell you with certainty, there is no such thing as a multiplexed airbag detonator circuit. Sure, the CAN bus interfaces the control module, but not on the squib side! Now, if you're soldering on an airbag squib circuit, I could see cause for concern. But certainly not on the control side of the circuit, like a lockout switch. Thats just BS. I have a newer Weller Industrial 2-stage soldering gun that weighs probably 5 pounds and gets the job done almost instantly. Never fried a computer or had anything explode on me.

#5 Beechkid

Beechkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Agree with above!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked for about 5 years in the aerospace industry, a very specialized position which because of my work I was required to go through a static electricity safeguard course...... yeah, about as exciting as watching chrome rust but, the possibility would be very, very remote and a static safeguard strat/wire would IMHO be more than enough to overcome any issue.

Jeff

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

That is pretty much my opinion. When I wire my air bag switches, they are unplugged and the battery is disconnected.

I wouldn't have to do this if the installer at the dealership knew what a soldering iron was. Or how to use heat shrink.

The last job I had to redo from the dealership was too lazy to even heat up their cheap Chinese butt connectors....

ASE master tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users