Photo

Install used ECU in 2005 Tacoma - does it need reflashing first?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevef150xlt

stevef150xlt

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I've got someone that has a 2005 Tacoma that was getting a P0606 code ("PCM / ECM Processor Fault"), and their dealer confirmed a bad ECU.  If they buy a used ECU with the matching part number from LKQ or someone else, does the ECU have to be flashed before it will work?  Or, does it just need to be reflashed once it's installed?  He knows that the VIN in the ECU has to match the vehicle, to pass his smog check in Mass.

SteveF150xlt
95 F150 XLT SWB S/C 5.0 4R70W
Detroit True-Trac LSD

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yes.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,188 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Pretty much all modules now are like this. To cut down on theft, car chopping, etc.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 stevef150xlt

stevef150xlt

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Great, thanks guys.  I'll relay the information.

SteveF150xlt
95 F150 XLT SWB S/C 5.0 4R70W
Detroit True-Trac LSD

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,188 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

It's all pretty pathetic, if you ask me. We in the fleet department order up multiple vehicles, optioned out identical. So in theory, EVERY module should be the same, have the same part number, etc. For that particular vehicle line. Can I take out an ABS or body controller module, and just plug and play it in another ride? NOPE. I have to have it VIN encoded / decoded, to the current, good unit.

Makes it a real hassle. Especially when I am trying to swap it out of a wreck, that got the wiring harness mangled. Little hard to power it up, and grab the data out of it, to make it play nice with the good vehicle. Nice when the theft system goes nuts, and shuts everything down. I used to think just getting the vehicle inside was a problem.................

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#6 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Normally that code is caused by the computer being confused by a bad downstream O2. Not always, but usually. Guess you'll find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users