• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zackm58941

zackm58941

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Had a 2007 fj cruiser in a few weeks ago. used car dealer had the toyota dealer diag and they came up with streched timing chain for the dtc's present. I did the job and i dont see but a few of these in a year but this was a slugger and the main chain was stretched out with only 51k on the odometer. Is this common for those v6's? wasnt a bad job and didnt require 1/2 the work as called by alldata to do the job.

#2 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Usually, with a Toyota, if you run them long enough, you can take the timing chain off without backing off the tensioners. Sludge has always been a problem in Japanese engines. One only has to look at the 2.7L V-6 with it's unending recalls and service bulletins. Half of which are to address the buildup of sludge. Don't worry. You'll get to see it again. you fixed one thing, and everybody knows that if you fix one thing on a Toyota, whatever is next to it will break next week. 51K miles? Did the "GET A NEW CAR" light on the dash come on?

Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#3 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Mazda junk stretches timing chains too. I've seen CX7 with 12,000 miles have a stretched chain. I thought timing chains were suppose to be "maintenance free"

#4 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

They are.....on American cars.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's because American steel actually holds up. The foreign junk has never been known for strong steel.

#6 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

Not changing the oil regularly will do a chain in pretty quickly. As an example, look at motorcycle rear drive chains. Keep it clean and lubed and 10k miles is about it. Don't keep it clean and lubed and 5k if you're lucky.

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

That's true Ok44, but the manufacturers are to blame for that. Stating 7500 miles + intervals... And then they have problems anyway, all in the name of "low maintenance". I think Honda cruisers, since being liquid-cooled have oil change intervals of 8,000 miles which at the same time spark plugs are due... My Harley states every 5000 in the owners manual, But since its air cooled, and I haven't installed an oil cooler yet, it's every 3000 for all 3 fluids. My trucks engine oil and filter are changed every 3000 as well.. My Honda XR650L had a brand new chain and sprockets on it at the beginning of the season. Now after about 500 miles, most of that in the woods it has stretched. I lube the chain before every ride... It's amazing to think how hard motorcycles are on components, seeing how light they are and how light duty of a load they're under. It's scary to see the crotch rockets riding around town with the SQUIDS riding them with the bottom of the chains dragging on the ground.. Crotch rockets see little to no maintenance too. When you start seeing belts hang out of a motorcycle tire... That's not good.. Hey, that sounds familiar.... Squirrley kids... Crotch rockets... Honda civics.... Neglected maintenance.... It's alright, mommy and daddy will buy another.

#8 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm, I must be doing something right. My Kawasaki Vulcan has one of those expensive "O" ring chains on it, and I only oiled it once in the past 5000 miles. I didn't buy it, It came with the bike, new.

I use an aerosol spray lube called "chain wax" on it. That's why I bought a motorcycle lift. So I could get the rear wheel off the ground to clean & lube the chain properly. An unexpected bonus with the motorcycle lift is the fact that it will raise the bike up to a comfortable height when I'm working on other stuff on it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever adjusted the chain since I bought it.

I only use full synthetic oil in my car & bike. The car, I change the oil every 8000 miles and the oil & filter every 12,000 miles. On the bike, I switched over to synthetic at 2000 miles, and now, at 5000 miles, the oil still looks clean and it hasn't used a drop. It's kinda weird for me to be riding a bike that don't use or leak any oil....When I had my last Harley, I would "check the gas, and fill it up with oil", before I rode it anywhere. I can't believe they could get away with selling a bike with an automatic chain & tire oiler....even when it's not equipped with one.

Around here, crotch rockets don't last long enough to need oil changes or maintenance. They usually end up in a police impound or a tow company storage yard. Why? Sand. The wind blows a fine layer of sand across the roads, especially on the curves. Unless you have your head screwed on straight, you can and will find yourself sliding across the yellow line. If you're lucky, you might ruin some clothes and scratch up the paint. If you're not.....well, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Rice grinders, and squirrely kids...Yep! We have them. But since they spend their money on meth and iPhones, their cars don't see a lot of maintenance. So, if you see one of these idiots racing around today, chances are, it will be parked tomorrow....due to lack of funds.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#9 VW Techguy

VW Techguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

My 08 X Runner has the same engine 1GR FE 4.0 v6. No chain issues at 94k miles.

#10 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,184 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I suspect a lot more Toyota vehicles will be coming in for stretched out timing chains. Why, you may ask? Their free LOF maintenance plans. When do they want you to come in for your free LOF? Between 5-7 K. Not only that, but does anyone think that a dealer might not actually use the best grade, kind, and type of oil? If he wants to continue to see Cancun every year, not brown bag his lunch, and send the kiddies to a decent college.

My last Ford store, the oil pumper was whatever's on sale, when the tank was getting low. Any non Ford product, got a no name oil filter on it. What do you want for $19.95? Full synthetic with a name brand filter? Guess again. I wouldn't have been surprised if they were using the re refined taxi cab oil.

Besides, when the chains do stretch out, the vehicle will usually be out of warranty either by time or mileage. Either the customer will be bent over in the service department, or the showroom. If it's a rust belt state, my guess would be the showroom.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#11 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

I could see where using what I want in my car (or bike) could be a losing proposition in the "Quick Lane". The oil I use in my car sells for $10.15 a quart, and it takes 4 quarts. My bike uses a motorcycle specific grade of synthetic (wet clutch) and it sells for $11.20 a quart, and it takes 3 quarts. It would be nice to pay $19.95 for an oil & filter change along with a 27 point inspection.That means they would lose over $20 on every oil change. With the bike they would be losing over $13 in the "Quick Lane"....Hell, at $19.95, I'd even pay an extra $5 to have them rotate my tires.

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#12 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

I suspect a lot more Toyota vehicles will be coming in for stretched out timing chains. Why, you may ask? Their free LOF maintenance plans. When do they want you to come in for your free LOF? Between 5-7 K. Not only that, but does anyone think that a dealer might not actually use the best grade, kind, and type of oil? If he wants to continue to see Cancun every year, not brown bag his lunch, and send the kiddies to a decent college.   My last Ford store, the oil pumper was whatever's on sale, when the tank was getting low. Any non Ford product, got a no name oil filter on it. What do you want for $19.95? Full synthetic with a name brand filter? Guess again. I wouldn't have been surprised if they were using the re refined taxi cab oil.   Besides, when the chains do stretch out, the vehicle will usually be out of warranty either by time or mileage. Either the customer will be bent over in the service department, or the showroom. If it's a rust belt state, my guess would be the showroom.

I slaved at a stealer once, that only used the OEM parts on warranty... That included filters.. And customer pay work got Checkers (Oreillys) parts and aftermarket Performax filters... And still charged OEM prices. This was a Lithia store which is on par with AutoNazi for fucking people... The few people who actually lifted their hoods and noticed a white "Performax" oil filter instead of the black 05281090 Mopar oil filter and would come unglued and demand a redo in service or money back. Rightfully so. If you're buying junk, the. You shouldn't be charged OEM part prices.. And it was really funny to watch Lithia squirm when the Checker auto parts wouldn't pay labor to replace their shit parts and they had to start eating a lot of labor for their techs. Serves em right.

#13 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm confused. How can anybody complain about putting junk filters on junk cars?

Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users