1989 Camry starting out in 3rd or 4th gear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hey Members, new here. My brother-in law just bought a 1989 Camry with the 4cyl. and all wheel drive. This thing is kind of a toilet with windows. When your starting off from a stop the trans seems to be starting in a high gear. When you manually shift to 1st it starts off in 1st but as soon as you shift into 2nd it dumps right into high gear. Real slug. Does anybody have any ideas. Auto trans of course. Thankyou for any help you can give me. Im more familiar with domestics and industrial equipment. Thankyou.

#2 Deeks

Deeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Watching the wheels go round and round

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hey Members, new here. My brother-in law just bought a 1989 Camry with the 4cyl. and all wheel drive. This thing is kind of a toilet with windows. When your starting off from a stop the trans seems to be starting in a high gear. When you manually shift to 1st it starts off in 1st but as soon as you shift into 2nd it dumps right into high gear. Real slug. Does anybody have any ideas. Auto trans of course. Thankyou for any help you can give me. Im more familiar with domestics and industrial equipment. Thankyou.

Had problems with one of these many years ago doing a similar thing ... when you went up a hill it would shift up a gear instead of down ... turned out to need a trans controller.

#3 hyundaitech

hyundaitech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

This is consistent with any of a number of issues which can be recognized by the trans controller. What you're describing is failsafe operation. You'll need to read the trouble codes and report back.
Even a fish would stay out of trouble if it kept its mouth shut.

#4 Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Had problems with one of these many years ago doing a similar thing ... when you went up a hill it would shift up a gear instead of down ... turned out to need a trans controller.

Ok. Thankyou. I will check on that.

#5 Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

This is consistent with any of a number of issues which can be recognized by the trans controller. What you're describing is failsafe operation. You'll need to read the trouble codes and report back.

Ok. Thankyou. I will check on that next time I get out to look at it.

#6 Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

ok, I finally got back to the car and pulled a code 51- switch condition signal or A/C signal. Possible causes are throttle cable or pedal problem, A/C switch circuit, A/C amplifier, TPS or circuit, start/neutral switch or circuit, or ECU. The only things I can think of that could cause the starting in high gear could be the ECU. I already replaced the Trans controller with no change. I dont think the TPS could cause this but I could be wrong. It is all tied with the ECU and Trans controller but I dont see how it could effect the gear the car starts off in. This code may not have anything to do with the trans problem. Has anyone experienced this. 89 Camry, 2.0l AllTrac Automatic starting in high gear from a stop. Thankyou in advance.

#7 hyundaitech

hyundaitech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

ok, I finally got back to the car and pulled a code 51- switch condition signal or A/C signal. Possible causes are throttle cable or pedal problem, A/C switch circuit, A/C amplifier, TPS or circuit, start/neutral switch or circuit, or ECU. The only things I can think of that could cause the starting in high gear could be the ECU. I already replaced the Trans controller with no change. I dont think the TPS could cause this but I could be wrong. It is all tied with the ECU and Trans controller but I dont see how it could effect the gear the car starts off in. This code may not have anything to do with the trans problem. Has anyone experienced this. 89 Camry, 2.0l AllTrac Automatic starting in high gear from a stop. Thankyou in advance.

We're going back quite a ways, but I worked on a Previa once with a broken wire going to the TPS, causing the TCM to think the throttle was always open. It didn't start in high gear, but it got there very quickly.

I'm not very familiar with the pulling of older Toyota DTCs nor their controller set-up, but it sounds like you may have pulled the engine DTCs rather than the trans DTCs.
Even a fish would stay out of trouble if it kept its mouth shut.

#8 Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

We're going back quite a ways, but I worked on a Previa once with a broken wire going to the TPS, causing the TCM to think the throttle was always open. It didn't start in high gear, but it got there very quickly.

I'm not very familiar with the pulling of older Toyota DTCs nor their controller set-up, but it sounds like you may have pulled the engine DTCs rather than the trans DTCs.

Thankyou, that makes sense. I dont know if they are tied together from the same diagnostic plug or not but I will research that. Thankyou for bringing that to my attention. Didnt even think about that.

#9 toyota_mdt_tech

toyota_mdt_tech

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

Thankyou, that makes sense. I dont know if they are tied together from the same diagnostic plug or not but I will research that. Thankyou for bringing that to my attention. Didnt even think about that.

Code 51, open ODL points in the TPS. Just needs a TPS adjustment unless you have a throttle opener (vacuum diaphram pulls it closed when running) this can give you the code 51. Code 51 will clear when the problem is resolved, no pulling codes. Try holding the throttle closed manually by hand of you have the opener. The TPS and the Previa was an open ground in the TPR harness, from years of the engien rocking, it would break it. TPS is a critical input to the ECM for "throttle angle" or throttle pressure.

As for your ATM taking off in 3rd. That is default if you have an open shift solenoid. Common with some miles. 2 solenoids (in addition to lock up solenoid) and a combo of on-on, on-off, off-on and off-off gives you your speeds. Depening on which one has failed, you will either start out in 3rd gear or OD.

You can measure the resistance. Look for around 15 ohms. But disconnect the battery when you measure these or you will get the wrong reading.
"Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician" (MDT)
ASE Master L-1
Toyota Hybrid Certified
State Emission Certified

#10 Clara James

Clara James

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:09 AM

I am very amazed to read that camery of model 1989 was starting with 4th gear. It looks how much powerful car this was.

#11 grampa

grampa

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

I recall running into this problem a time or two back when I worked on Toyotas & it turned out to be an improper signal from the speed sensor. If I remember right,it was part of the speedo head.

#12 maddy

maddy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hello,
Buy best cheap gadgets online on very cheap rates with discounts also.
We have all type of gadgets of all brands that you like.
Thanks!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users