Working for TOYOTA

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Autotech321

Autotech321

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I have been a tech now for 11 years and am master ase , but have been working in independent shops my whole career. I received an email from career build with a list of jobs and one was for the Toyota dealer. I sent in my resume and had an interview last night. The dealer seems to be very busy and I have not heard anything bad about them.. My question is for Toyota techs. How is it working for Toyota, hows the training and factory support and tools. last question how is it to work for a dealer vs independent shop? Thanks for the help

#2 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

First off, working at a dealer doesn't mean you work for the manufacturer. You work for the greedy dealer owner. The special tools WILL be scarce if any exist at all. You'll be doing squeaks and rattles all day long at 0.2 a piece. When you're not changing oil and doing recalls you'll be doing goodwill warranty on 10+ year old cars with 100,000+ miles. Whatever money you could make will be cut for less than ALLDATA/warranty times just to make an asshole customer happy. You menu "gravy" work pay will constantly be cut to further fatten the dealer owners wallet. You will be Doing plenty of FREE work, because the service writer is scared of the customer. There will be favoritism and politics, especially on the team system. There will be prima donnas that you'll want to beat the shit out of. And when the pay period is over and you see your paycheck for 60- hours while spending 90+ at the shop, you asshole will be bleeding and so will your pride. DON'T DO IT

#3 montyface

montyface

STAFF

• Staff
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Some warranty times will be a challenge to say the least. Usually a good amount of CP work but mostly small stuff that you can hopefully build of off. Like any dealership environment the flat rate game sucks, but after working on the Mopar side for 12 years and the Lexus side for 7, I'll stick with the Lexus side for now. The cars are usually consistent in that what screws up on one will usually carry across the line. Makes diag a bit easier... My $.02

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Yes, i also have noticed that the imports usually have a much better owner retention rate than the domestics do. Not just in vehicles sales, but also the service end of it. Mostly because the imports beat people upside the head to maintain the warranty. No service history by a dealership? Good chance a warranty claim will be denied. Just how they like to play the game. My brother works in a Datsun store. People are calling up begging to be able to get in for a 30 K service. Try to sell a Ford diesel owner an LOF, rotate tires, and a couple of filters. See where that will get you. Trust me, that will not be a pleasent conversation.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 toyodagreg

toyodagreg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Did you make the move? How do you like it?

#6 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Geez! That's like tossing somebody into a volcano and then calling down to them,"How's the lava? Is it warm enough for ya?"
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Geez! That's like tossing somebody into a volcano and then calling down to them,"How's the lava? Is it warm enough for ya?"

Wtf salty I thought we were sacrificing "virgins"..

Weren't you there in the orientation?

#8 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

This guy is in Chicago. Where is he gonna find a virgin? Remember, that's KP's territory..... I suppose you know what a virgin is in Chicago?.....And ugly sixth grader. Or a 12 year-old black girl who can outrun her brother.
Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#9 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

This guy is in Chicago. Where is he gonna find a virgin? Remember, that's KP's territory.....

I suppose you know what a virgin is in Chicago?.....And ugly sixth grader. Or a 12 year-old black girl who can outrun her brother.

Yeah and you can circumcise her brother by kicking her in the chin! :D

#10 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Saltmine, you are getting a little dislexic. The Chicago prefix is 312, not 321. But anyway, about the only virgin you will find in Chicago is either in a convent, or hasn't reached their teenaged years. Possibly there might be one or two left on the south or west sides of Chicago. If you can outrun a bullit, you might just be able to outrun a relative.) Although i did watch that 40 Year Old Virgin last week. Pretty funny stuff. Reminds me of a friend of mines brother in law to a tee. I think he did the same thing most Polish men do. When they get their first .50 cent piece, they marry them.)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#11 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

They GOT convents in Chicago?? I suppose you know....the only meat a Priest eats on Friday is Nun.....
Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#12 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

On the news, they reported that Toyota agreed to a billion dollar settlement on the unintended acceleration thing; and that doesn't include any other personal injury suits and so on. My gut feeling is that Toyota will be trying to extract blood from various people below them in order to pay that billion dollars; probably with increased parts pricing, saying no to any good will warranties, and slashing warranty times even more.

#13 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

On the news, they reported that Toyota agreed to a billion dollar settlement on the unintended acceleration thing; and that doesn't include any other personal injury suits and so on.

My gut feeling is that Toyota will be trying to extract blood from various people below them in order to pay that billion dollars; probably with increased parts pricing, saying no to any good will warranties, and slashing warranty times even more.

You got that right. It'll come out of technician pay first. It always does.

I can see it now. Engine R&R, includes alignment and evac recharge. 0.7.

R&R transmission 0.4

Squeak and rattle repair 0.0002

Electrical gremlin diag 0.002.

#14 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

That's what I've heard.... Toyota is going to need a few bucks. They're planning to fight the other lawsuits they have tooth & nail...Gotta pay the ambulance chasers, eh.... Grab yer ankles, boy.
Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#15 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

You can safely bet that Toyota has had the angles figured out about getting that billion back, with interest, long before they agreed to that settlement. Mechanics may get paid with rolled up change...... :-(

#16 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

The local dealers know better than to pay mechanics with rolled up change. It makes too good of a weapon....So, now they only pay with rubber checks.
Sam Will
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

#17 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

The local dealers know better than to pay mechanics with rolled up change. It makes too good of a weapon....So, now they only pay with rubber checks.

And there I thought we got paid with rectal injections...

#18 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

And there I thought we got paid with rectal injections...

A rubber check wrapped around a dildo............ :-)

Back in the 70s I worked for a company where rumbling were surfacing they were in trouble. A company meeting was called about 3 one Tuesday afternoon and the part owner/VP said there was no truth to those rumors. He also stated that company was secure and they were making a profit; a marginal profit, but still in the black.
At 4 on Thursday afternoon, 2 days later, the company accountant was sent out in the shop to hand everyone their final paychecks. Unknown to us at the time was that the company locked the office doors behind the accountant and had 2 deputy sheriffs already in place in case there was trouble.
Of course, the acct. told me when I asked how high those checks were going to bounce that they were all covered. Not. The company wrote bad checks all over town on the way out and the DA did not prosecute them.

I was one of the lucky ones and my check was made good because I pushed the issue; even going to small claims court, buying a 9MM, and making plans to visit the VP's house if that's what it took. The DA worked out a deal where they would cover about 5% of the bad checks and no charges would be filed so almost everyone from employers to suppliers got screwed.
What really ticked me off is that the VP of the company was also a captain in the Army Reserve at the time and the military would not get involved in something like this.

#19 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Toyota is just copying FMC's play book. Ever wonder why all of their assembly plants are in non union, right to work, (for less) states? So that Toyota will make the money, and not you. I have heard of them hiring in people at good wages, and then freezing said wages. Where is one to go anywhere else to make a paycheck when they are down in the sticks? That and being very stingy with what, if any, benefits are offered. Now working for a Toyota dealership, who knows about that. But from what i do know is Toyota has a free maintenence care for 2 years after a sucker buys one. And we all know how that works. After the free shit stops, so do the customers.

ASE master tech

#20 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Toyota is just copying FMC's play book. Ever wonder why all of their assembly plants are in non union, right to work, (for less) states? So that Toyota will make the money, and not you.

I have heard of them hiring in people at good wages, and then freezing said wages. Where is one to go anywhere else to make a paycheck when they are down in the sticks? That and being very stingy with what, if any, benefits are offered.

Now working for a Toyota dealership, who knows about that. But from what i do know is Toyota has a free maintenence care for 2 years after a sucker buys one. And we all know how that works. After the free shit stops, so do the customers.

And as soon as a union were to organize, you bet your ass Toyota, Honda or any other import manufactur would close the doors and move operations to Mexico.

It's already happened with Mazda and Audi. Anything to stiff the worker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users