• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Lynch

Robert Lynch

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

I have a friend with a 98 Accord with 150,000 miles on it that slips on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts when the trans is cold. The fluid smells fine and the level is correct. Once the transmission is warm the concern goes away and the unit shifts fine. Are these transmissions known for internal sealing issues or any kind of hanging solenoid concerns? I have no access to alldata or any way to get informational bulletins on this vehicle as I am employed at a Ford dealer and any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 dmullenax

dmullenax

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:42 AM

The last (only) Honda trans I worked on was about 3 years ago. There was a bulletin on Alldata about the shift solenoids. The solenoid plate was on the top front side of the trans. 4 10mm bolts and it was out and in in about 5 minutes - way too effin easy for my Ford-trained brain to deal with.

#3 Robert Lynch

Robert Lynch

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

The last (only) Honda trans I worked on was about 3 years ago. There was a bulletin on Alldata about the shift solenoids. The solenoid plate was on the top front side of the trans. 4 10mm bolts and it was out and in in about 5 minutes - way too effin easy for my Ford-trained brain to deal with.

I was looking at those and thinking it looked like a piece of cake if that was what was needed. I'll have to try to get a look at that bulletin. Thanks!

#4 Bass

Bass

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I know this thread has been around for awhile and I read it shortly after it was originally posted. A few months ago, my son's 1998 Honda Accord's transmission was slipping, you might say flaring on the 1-2 shift until entirely warmed up. It got to the point where it was bad enough to take to a transmission shop and it was rebuilt. The guy has done enough work for me in the past to trust him, but he has worked mostly on Ford and GM vehicles. I asked the tech about the shift solenoids and that I had read they seemed to be a problem but he said scanning the codes showed no problems with the solenoids. The most worn parts were the clutch discs in the 3-4 clutch drum and the 3-4 clutch drum itself. It took almost a month to find the right part. My son has the car back, and he says the same symptom is coming back but only slightly, more like a 1-2 shift that takes awhile to complete. My question is would bad shift solenoids show up on a scan of the transmission? Will the slow shift become a slip if the original shift solenoids are still faulty? Thanks for any ideas, Bass

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

I know this thread has been around for awhile and I read it shortly after it was originally posted.

A few months ago, my son's 1998 Honda Accord's transmission was slipping, you might say flaring on the 1-2 shift until entirely warmed up. It got to the point where it was bad enough to take to a transmission shop and it was rebuilt. The guy has done enough work for me in the past to trust him, but he has worked mostly on Ford and GM vehicles.

I asked the tech about the shift solenoids and that I had read they seemed to be a problem but he said scanning the codes showed no problems with the solenoids.

The most worn parts were the clutch discs in the 3-4 clutch drum and the 3-4 clutch drum itself. It took almost a month to find the right part.

My son has the car back, and he says the same symptom is coming back but only slightly, more like a 1-2 shift that takes awhile to complete.

My question is would bad shift solenoids show up on a scan of the transmission?
Will the slow shift become a slip if the original shift solenoids are still faulty?

Thanks for any ideas,

Bass

I have NEVER heard of a independant shop successfully rebuilt Honda 5 shaft automatic transmission that didn't have problems. Those accords had problems with internal trans part quality and extended the warranty on a lot of them.

My suggestion, is to get a Honda reman, and thoroughly flush the cooler or replace the radiator

The quality of parts your friend used is probably sub-par, and the clearances weren't properly
Established. A thoroughly valve body cleaning and inspection is absolutely necessary when tearing into auto trannies..

#6 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Around here, unless it's an AOD or Turbo-Hydromatic, automatic transmissions are replaced with a reman unit rather than rebuilt. There are too many special tools required to make it worthwhile to repair in-house. I don't tear into any automatic transmission, period. I assume they're magic boxes. For what it's worth, my cars have always been stick. I can actually visualize in my mind how that works.

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

For what it's worth, most auto transmissions are cheaper now to exchange rather than fix. Between the amount of down time, special tools, pricing of the parts, etc. Plus one gets a warranty with a reman unit. Makes no sense now to go into them. Especially on the older, higher mileage units. That being said, one also has to take that into account as well. Kind of silly to purchase a reman transmission that costs more than what the vehicle is worth.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#8 Bass

Bass

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. The trans was already rebuilt, just wondering if it still had faulty shift solenoids and if so, would that show up as a fault code in a scan?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users