#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

Hello there Ford Techs.

I figured I would take it easy on y'all's minds with this Q?. As you know, I drive an 07 F150 XL, 4.2 V6 engine, 142K miles. This engine calls for the FL-400S oil filter. In my oil filter stash I have a BOSCH PREMIUM 3330 oil filter. It's the shorter version of the FL-400S, by about 3/4", maybe 7/8".

My Q? to you techs is, would you use it on the 4.2 V6? I always do 5K mile OCI's, if that helps you to decide. I'm currently using Castrol Magnatec 5W30 oil with an FL-400S oil filter. But, being I have this BOSCH filter, I would like to use it, with y'all's Blessing, and Castrol Magnatec 5W30 oil.

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,222 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't use a Bosch product on anything, including my lawn mower.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Mike N, sometimes, when I have the extra $$$$ I like to use the FRAM ULTRA.

Besides using the MC FL-400S, what would you use on the 4.2 V6 if it were your truck?

I'm just asking to see what's in the professional's minds here on the forum. 

NRA Life Member

#4 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,222 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

For your truck, a Motorcraft filter is perfect. More important to me is the right weight oil and a sensible oil change interval. The million dollar mega filters and companies that claim their oil can go 25,000 miles between changes are overkill and not what I would ever run in my own engines. 

Fram filters take some serious bashing on damn near every automotive website, yet I've had zero problems. I ran them on my 84 K10 Chevy and when I sent that thing to the boneyard with a rotten frame, the bearings were still gray in color..... and the engine has 375,000 miles on it. Again, a sensible oil change interval is your friend here.

Myself, I use Napa filters (I get them at wholesale pricing), which are made by Wix and oil wise I use Napa synthetic blend ($2 a quart whoesale) which is made by Valvoline.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#5 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:03 AM

Mike N., I like the WIX Gold oil filter. And, you're right about the NAPA/Valvoline oil. Not too many people know about that.

When I had the money to run the FRAM ULTRA, which has only been 2-3 times, it was because WM was sold out of the FL-400S at the time.

I currently have Castrol Magnatec in my engine. I had 2-$5.00 off coupons so I bought 2-5 qt. containers at WM for $12.97 each with the $5 off coupons.

NRA Life Member

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

I usually use brand name filters with no issues. A/C delco, Purolator, Monkey Crap, Fram, etc. And only when on sale. Since I get tired of the auto parts stores not having things in stock, and having to deal with brainless children behind the parts counters, more than likely I stock up from Rock Auto.

Blue Oval, I am not sure if you know this or not, but the FL 300 and the FL 1A filters interchange with the FL 400. The 300 is wider, and the 1A is both wider and longer. Which in turn, should hold more crud. Only issue for you might be interference. On my old Taurus, I took off the starter support bracket, ground down a portion of it, and reinstalled it. So that the 1A would clear and fit the vehicle just fine.

I have no choice with my Pontiac. Where GM put the filter, if I used a wider one, it would hit the half shaft. If I used a longer one, it would hit the control arm. My Whiskey tumbler holds more fluid, so I stick with 4 K oil changer intervals. Seems to be working out. Almost at 200 K..........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users