• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

I thought the battery was dead so I connected jumper cables. I let the car with the good battery run a few minutes at a fast idle then tried to start. No clicking. No sounds at all. Interior lights come on when I open the door. Headlights work. When I turn on headlights and try to start, the lights are unaffected. I was expecting them to fade. The battery is behind the front left wheel. Suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Could be something as simple as just a bad starter. Many times with these brushless starters and cheap micro relays, one doesn't hear any clicking at all. Or if you do find out that the starter relay has failed, better change out both the starter and the relay.

That's what I do. If you think you are going to get away cheap, forget it. At least it doesn't work out that way for me.........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

Spot on, KP. The starter relay fuse was blown. After I replaced it and started it in the driveway a few times the fuse blew again. I replaced that 20 amp fuse with a 30. Too early to tell how much that will help but so far so good. But I'm still wondering what is causing the fuses to fail?

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

More than likely the starter is drawing too much power. I ran into the same thing on a box truck last week.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Are you sayin' I should replace the starter or will the 30 amp fuse be enough to keep it from blowin'. My wife started it several times today. Maybe I should take a "wait and see" approach. If it blows again = new starter. If it doesn't = money saved.

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

With a vehicle 13 years old, I would shop around for a starter. And not one from auto zone, pep boys, etc. Do it once is my suggestion.

ASE master tech

#7 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thanks. I'll give our local junk yard a call.

#8 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

This summer we've been looking for another car for the wife but she hasn't found one that she likes. Now that football practice has started I have less time to go with her and some Saturdays are taken.

#9 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

Found a used starter for $30 but it'll be a "bear" to change. It'll be a lot harder than it was on my cars back in the 70's and 80's.

#10 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,199 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:09 PM

Fuses have ratings for a reason. I wouldn't swap a 30 amp fuse in where a 20 amp is the spec fuse. Yeah, it may work for now but you're sending more current thru a circuit that wasn't designed for it...... so while your 30 amp fuse may not blow, you might find yourself melting some other components and/or wiring somewhere else down the line. 

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#11 football_coach

football_coach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

Yeah. I better put the right one in. My wife isn't going anywhere. I'll do it tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users