Camry Back Seat Goo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

My youngest son has a 95 Camry that he bought a few years ago to use as a daily driver for work, etc. While cleaning it up at my house one weekend shortly after buying it we removed the rear seat and found the floor pan underneath the seat was covered in a substance that is hard to describe. It's similar to molasses and about the same color and texture I suppose. This stuff was even pooled in the low areas and at first we thought maybe the prior owner had spilled something in the trunk or back seat and that it had oozed underneath. This stuff was a mess to clean up but we eventually got most of it swabbed up with carb cleaner and a full roll of paper towels. There were no signs of this stuff or any spillage at all in the trunk or anywhere else. Recently he came to visit and we popped the rear seat loose and sure enough, this stuff is present again although not as bad as before. We cleaned it up yet again and there is nothing in that area that would lead to fluid seepage. (gas lines, brake lines, etc, etc) This leads to my questions. Has anyone seen or heard of something like this on this era of Toyota? While it seems unlikely based on the sheer quantity of this crap, is there a possibility this could be the seat foam bleeding chemicals? The hard foam on the bottom of the seat has this stuff on it too but it's unclear whether this goo is bleeding from the foam or it's from contact with the floor pan. Thanks in advance for any comments or info.

#2 Sam Reeves

Sam Reeves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

My youngest son has a 95 Camry that he bought a few years ago to use as a daily driver for work, etc.
While cleaning it up at my house one weekend shortly after buying it we removed the rear seat and found the floor pan underneath the seat was covered in a substance that is hard to describe.
It's similar to molasses and about the same color and texture I suppose. This stuff was even pooled in the low areas and at first we thought maybe the prior owner had spilled something in the trunk or back seat and that it had oozed underneath.

This stuff was a mess to clean up but we eventually got most of it swabbed up with carb cleaner and a full roll of paper towels. There were no signs of this stuff or any spillage at all in the trunk or anywhere else.

Recently he came to visit and we popped the rear seat loose and sure enough, this stuff is present again although not as bad as before. We cleaned it up yet again and there is nothing in that area that would lead to fluid seepage. (gas lines, brake lines, etc, etc)

This leads to my questions. Has anyone seen or heard of something like this on this era of Toyota?
While it seems unlikely based on the sheer quantity of this crap, is there a possibility this could be the seat foam bleeding chemicals? The hard foam on the bottom of the seat has this stuff on it too but it's unclear whether this goo is bleeding from the foam or it's from contact with the floor pan.

Thanks in advance for any comments or info.

It sounds like somebody spilled a 2 liter coke and just left it there.

#3 Techniker

Techniker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

It sounds like somebody spilled a 2 liter coke and just left it there.

That's my bet as well- I consider myself somewhat more of a Toyota "expert" because my shop deals with a significantly larger portion of Asian imports just due to demographics- I also just like Asian import vehicles for reliability (don't want to start a flame war here though).

I have taken the seats out of many a Toyota Camry, many from that generation as well, because as you know the fuel pump is right there- it also makes it easier to access the rear struts. I have never noticed any of this "goo" or any kind of adhesive. I highly, highly doubt its any kind of automotive fluid leaking- if it were gasoline, you would know it. I think it's just coke as well.

#4 PowerstrokeTech82787

PowerstrokeTech82787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Oval racing, small block chevys, building hot rods. pretty women and fixing powerstrokes.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Coke or it was a drug dealers car..... One of my friends cadillacs ended up being a seized car during a drug raid... This thick brown tar like substance was under his seat when i put a stereo system in it (cadillac had these studs that were about 3-4 feet long that held the back seats in) had to pull the rear seat pad out to get the rear deck lid out. Have a few buddies who are cops the substance was nasty in texture, and in smell. Sure enough. Had a bag or brick of black tar herione and an 8 ball of coke in the spare tire well on top of the spare which was not held down so it would thump around in the trunk.
Dave Didnt drive the longest lasting most dependable truck on the road... Dave drove a Ford. BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. If it werent for Fords, My tools would rust.
Yep, Im a Chevy Guy that works on Fords Mainly diesels.
In the famous words of Jerry Reed. "Well Now Lord Mr Ford I just wish that you could see what your Simple Horseless Carraige has become. Well it seems your contribution to man To say the least got a little out of hand. Well Lord Mr Ford What Have You Done?!"

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Either that....or it might have been the bodily fluids of somebody who got whacked and taken out to get dumped... Toyota engineers, maybe...you never know.
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#6 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

It's not anything that's been spilled. My first thought after he got the car was that due to the floor pan design that something in the trunk had spilled and run underneath the rear seat. The trunk was clean and this crap looks and feels like creosote but with very little smell. It was a pain in the neck to clean up with rags, paper towels, and carburetor cleaner. We had even removed the seat back and the trunk carpeting and everything was dry and clean there. The problem is that we've cleaned this up twice now and there's no obvious source where it's coming from; no brake lines, fuel iines, etc. It was actually deep enough in spots on the floor pan where it was pooling a bit. He's coming up to visit Easter Sunday and we're going to take a look underneath the seat again to see if the crap has surfaced yet again. I'll keep you informed but based on past history it would not surprise me to have to dig out the rags again.

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Could be jizz.

#8 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Tain't likely as it's a brown goo. :-) I popped the seat loose after catching up some maintenance on the car and the indentions in the floor pan does have this crap on it again although it's not nearly as bad as it was to begin with. Originally it was actually pooling and took about half an hour for the two of us to clean up. The second time it was not pooling but did require some serious elbow grease to clean up. We decided to leave it alone at this time and check it again in a year's time to see if it's breeding or whatever. The foam in spots is stained but we don't know if that's because it's soaked up what was there or if it's the foam degrading somehow. I've never seen seat foam do this so it would be new to me. I guess we'll just play it by ear and see what happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users