#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

2017 Lincoln Navigator, 17K miles, 3.5 Eco-Boost

My cousin just recently bought this demo model for his wife. 
We were talking about the engine and the oil system in it. He also owns a 2010 Lariat F150, and a 2003 Chevy Silverado. He always changes the oil in the (2) trucks every 5K miles using PYB. He wants to keep the Navi on the same diet, every 5K miles. I suggested using PYB 5W30 every 5K miles with a MC oil filter at EVERY oil change. Opinions?

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Our fleet vehicles get the same diet. 5k oil changes. With oem filters. Myself, I won't go past 4k. My Whiskey tumbler holds more fluid than my oil filter does.

I also am topping off the oil too. 1/2 quarter every 1k ain't bad for a vehicle closing in on 200k.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

On a turbo engine I'd at least run a semi synthetic oil and a good filter, with the change interval between 4k and 5k.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I was in the FMC site today, and it said that Ford did indeed recommend their semi synthetic oil. At least here in the USA. Up in Canada, Ford recommended their fully synthetic oil. For that particular vehicle.

The last time I was at the Ford tech center, the instructor said that he recommended the fully synthetic oils. Reason being, that those little baby turbos are spinning up a whole lot faster and quicker than the prior single turbocharged vehicles ever did. I would have to agree with him on that one.

Not to mention that these newer dual turbo vehicles are crammed under the hood, there can not be much if any airflow in the engine compartment. Along with the packaging requirements. The oil feed lines are a fraction of the sizes that the prior single turbos had.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

I convinced him to use MC semi-synthetic oil 5W30 along with a MC FL-500S filter every 5K miles. He will also see what the OLM reads at 5K miles. He is also going to do an UOA to see if the OLM is preferred over the every 5K mile interval.

NRA Life Member

#6 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

My kid's Cobalt has an OLM and when I do the oil changes at 5k, it tells me that there's anywhere between 40% & 50%  oil life left........ and I'm not buying it. I've seen some of the OLM's stretch an oil change out to 9k, and by then you need a spatula to drain the sludge from the pan.

I realize the manufacturers are trying to stretch maintenance intervals so they can claim their vehicles are awesome and maintenance free and all that, but an oil/filter change is one thing that I say you can't do too often.

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Mike, my ride also has that silly OLM built into the message center. I noticed that it usually doesn't come on until between 9 and 10 K have elapsed. You think a tiny little PF 47 oil filter is doing anything at that point? Other than the outer canister rusting and the internals bypassing filthy oil perhaps.

Another thing to consider is Ford was stating that their engines can burn up to 1 quart of oil in 700 or 800 miles, and that is acceptable. So if one has a Ford vehicle, it burns that much oil, how much oil, if any, will still be in the pan after 5000 miles?

But we have low oil level sensors for that event.........

ASE master tech

#8 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Your PF-47 is huge compared to the filter on my wife's 2013 Subaru. Worse yet, the filter is mounted at the highest possible point on the engine and it sits vertically, so all the oil drains back after shutoff.....  on a cold start it sounds like two skeletons fucking on a tin roof.

#9 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

Just my humble 2 cents, but some cars should have the oil changed more often than 5k miles. Miles are not the only determining factor. There's time, type of driving, the environment which includes dust and moisture, etc, etc.

Nothing irks me more than to read these articles from these automotive journalists who state that modern cars can easily go 10k miles between oil changes because of the BS "tighter clearances" and "improved motor oils". These are the same guys who have never changed the oil on a car in their entire effin' life.

They're also not the ones facing a POed customer whose engine is trashed at 40k miles because they adhered to the 10k miles OLM reminder which then promptly sludged the engine up and wiped it out.

Personally, I've seen trashed engines at as low as 20-25k miles; and all because the oil was seldom if ever changed. "But...but...but....but the OLM never said to change it more often.....:".

#10 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

ok44, what about those that swear by using the same oil filter for multiple oil changes? They state that just because an oil filter is rated for 15K miles that they can use it for (3) 5K mile OCI's, or, (2) 7.5K mile OCI's. I always tell them they are too lazy to change the filter, and/or, too cheap. They also state that the more a filter loads up the better it filters. LMAO! Yeah, and it has a better chance of running in bypass too.

Then, there are the ones that state it's the "GREEN" thing to do. To keep the landfills less cluttered with oil filters! SERIOUSLY?  :blink:

NRA Life Member

#11 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

I myself do fall into that cheap category. I have found that by purchasing my oil filters from Rock Auto, along with other needed items, I can / do save more money on said parts. However, I buy name brand filters. When the oil(s) go on sale, those I buy at the store. Since my ride is older and doesn't have any of that fancy cylinder deactivation system or variable valve timing, it gets whichever oil is the cheaper, and always the basic oil. No synthetic or blends for me.

Last year I had to pull down the front of my engine to repair a blown out timing chain cover gasket. Just under 170 K on the clock at that time. Engine is spotless inside. Timing chain had no stretch to it. The inner cover had a very light brown tinge to it, that came off quickly in the solvent tank. Finished it up with a quick blast from the power washer, and put everything back together. New gaskets, new water pump, new tensioner bracket and coolant elbows, and I am mobile again.

Don't know if I can go another 10 years on this ride before it rots in 1/2, but if I keep going along this same path, it should keep me out of the showroom. That in itself makes me quite happy.)

ASE master tech

#12 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Very true BlueOvalFitter.

We had a Subaru owner's car towed in once with a "Won't Start" complaint. The engine was frozen solid at 25k miles. He had purchased the car new and had never changed the oil. Not once.

The dipstick showed full of dark oil so I decided to drop the pan for a look around. After removing the drain plug nothing would come out. So I dropped the pan and it was full of essentially cold tar.

I went to get the service manager and as we walked down the shop I told him to look at the pan on the floor. From half a shop away he could see a long screwdriver stuck in what was once motor oil and it was standing straight up. The crankshaft and connecting rod big ends were all purple from lack of oil.

Per the usual, the car owner went ballistic and started blaming us. It was "your fault because you never told me I had to change the oil". He then sicced corporate Subaru on us (after not telling them the full story of course) and then sicced a lawyer on us after Subaru told him to get lost. I filled the lawyer in and the lawyer also told him to bug off.

He then had the car towed off "to be repaired by people who know what they are doing".         And yet the state issues drivers licenses and voter registration cards to these people.....  ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users