5 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,085 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:36 PM

I am currently working on a 2010 Chevy Tahoe that blew up the rear axle assembly. While it is down for repairs, the driver mentioned the cruise control was intermittent, and the buttons were sticky. I confirmed the button issue, and ordered up the button assembly, along with the surrounding bezel. The bezel was flaking off material and looking quite nasty.

Got everything done, and road tested said unit. The cruise control, it lit up on the switch pack when I turned it on. However, it took me multiple attempts to get it to turn the green light on in the dash, and to engage. Also, the ABS light came on as well during the road test. Thought I got all of the metal shavings out, but some pieces were stuck to the rear ABS sensors. Upon trying to get the corroded sensors out of the axle tube, I cracked them.

So we now have 2 rear ABS sensors on order. My question is if these ABS sensors got all fouled out, will that keep the cruise control from engaging? The speedo works just fine, as well as the transmission shifting ok. I would like to make this gem go away tomorrow with a set of replacement ABS sensors......

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 scottimus

scottimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:31 PM

If your scan tool is good enough you should be able to go in and see a PID for cruise inhibit. It should tell you the reason it wouldn't allow cruise operation. I would say the abs issue is probably the cause. I know lots of the late model GM's have A BPP sensor, brake pedal position sensor. It might not hurt to do a BPP relearn if your scanner can do it.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

I tossed in the rear ABS sensors, cleared the codes, and drove it. ABS light stayed off, cruise control worked. So I shipped it. If he whines about the cruise not working again, his right foot will have to do until the replacement vehicle shows up.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#4 shotime2511

shotime2511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:24 AM

It's usually a BPP sensor issue on those trucks. It typically sets a fault for that.

#5 don96exp

don96exp

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Had intermittent cruise issue on '08 Uplander, BPP sensor took care of it.

#6 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

I got rid of this vehicle last week. If it comes back for the same issue, I will look into that BPP sensor. Earlier in the year, it seemed that driver was in our shop at least twice a week with flat tires.

We can't get a new set of rides fast enough........

ASE master tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users