4 replies to this topic

#1 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

My lady has a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with some serious front end issues. Both her and the car.) But let's discuss the car. It needs outer axle u-joints, upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, and I think outer tie rod ends.

When I was looking online, they list both standard and adjustable ball joints. For both upper and lower joints. If I go the route of the adjustable joints, do I do all of them? Or just the lowers or just the uppers?

I was REALLY hoping she would just trade in this junk, and never look back. But we all have our stories with women. And most of them are bad.(

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#2 Deeks

Deeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Watching the wheels go round and round

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

Don't get adjustable ones unless the POS has an excessive camber problem... use the difference to stock your beer fridge  ;) . I feel for you as I remember days pulling onto the shop lot early in the morning and seeing one of these dumpsters in for any kind of service  :o

#3 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

Agreed with Deeks, avoid the adjustable ones unless you have a camber issue. Other than that, those ball joints and axle joints are a gravy run.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

An update. Supposedly, my lady has somehow listened somewhat to reason. With any luck, she will do a little car shopping this memorial day weekend. She doesn't want to toss any more money at an 18 year old vehicle. And I don't want her to either. The A/C evaporator leaks, the heater core is 1/2 plugged up, one window doesn't work, and if it sits for 3 days or more, the battery goes dead. In addition to the front end falling apart, and the bald tires.

This vehicle reminds me of junk I used to drive. While under flat rape.............

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

Another update to the last update. My lady went car shopping. Reality hit her upside the head. Seems that the vehicles she likes, she can not afford. The vehicles she can afford, she doesn't like. Which is what happened to me the last time I took her to the Chicago Auto Show.

So what does she do? She went ahead and took her ride in for some repairs. At least I didn't have to wrench it, although silly me, I did offer to do so. Note to self: Stay single, do NOT get married, and taste test more Whiskey.)

ASE master tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users